Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

NFL Draft Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-29-2023, 11:48 AM   #226
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Re: NFL Draft Thread

You m'fers need to chill out. We got Wylie in the off-season. Can still pick up players in the later rounds and there will likely be a second round of free agency after the draft.

At the end if the day, this team's strength is the defense. And I don't mind adding playmakers to our secondary.

You can add talent to the online, but better play calling, commitment to the run, and hopefully improved Howell will help.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-29-2023, 11:53 AM   #227
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
My take is different than most on here I guess. First of all, the draft isn't over. We have five more picks.

They have picked solid players, and they happen to be at positions of need (DB / OL) - feels like they are following their board. Their board is different than my board and your board, but we don't get paid to evaluate NFL talent. lol

That secondary is going to be deep, the defense has the potential to be nasty. Stacked up front, stacked on the back end - a recipe for a lot of turnovers. Do we need a LB? Maybe, but that position has been devalued here with the personnel groupings they run out there, and it hasn't seemed to have much of an impact on how good this defense has been.

Anyway, I thought we went into the draft needing OL & CB. Maybe they didn't draft in that order, or who you wanted, but that's what they have drafted - so far.

Like I said Chief I have no problem with Martin or Stromberg. The problem is they could have taken them later - especially Stromberg. I feel like they reached on those two. I think also that a glaring problem with this defense has been the inability for our inside backers to cover opposing tight ends.

There is no person on Earth who can convince me that Martin was a better pick than Torrence in the second. Both positions of need. One keeps your quarterback upright. The draft is like triage and he took a patient with a broken leg over one with a head injury- both need to be seen, but clearly one needs to be seen sooner.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 12:00 PM   #228
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Emmanuel Forbes
CB Mississippi State

Jartavius Martin
CB Illinois

Ricky Stromberg
OC Arkansas

Blake Freeland
OT BYU

SirVocea Dennis
LB Pittsburgh

Payne Durham
TE Purdue

Atonio Mafi
OG UCLA

Keaton Mitchell
RB East Carolina
Old 04-29-2023, 12:04 PM   #229
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
My take is different than most on here I guess. First of all, the draft isn't over. We have five more picks.
Agreed, while I'd have taken Mauch in the 2nd instead, and probably Blackmon or Latu in the 3rd, I'm not an NFL GM, so its just my opinion. We had need in the secondary and OL, and they drafted DBs and a C. Good/best picks? We'll only know in time but I don't see them as bad picks based on what's known of them.

Question is, what now? 5 picks left, so what do we do with those? For me we have to target TE and LB, but apart from that has to be BPA. Toney is likely gone (suspended indefinitely) and CY is a ? so an edge rusher makes sense, if only for depth.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 12:06 PM   #230
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Like I said Chief I have no problem with Martin or Stromberg. The problem is they could have taken them later - especially Stromberg. I feel like they reached on those two. I think also that a glaring problem with this defense has been the inability for our inside backers to cover opposing tight ends.

There is no person on Earth who can convince me that Martin was a better pick than Torrence in the second. Both positions of need. One keeps your quarterback upright. The draft is like triage and he took a patient with a broken leg over one with a head injury- both need to be seen, but clearly one needs to be seen sooner.
Later when? You can't predict when these guys are going. If they liked him, they liked him - and they took him when they had the opportunity. Maybe they didn't like Torrance or the other O-linemen that were available when they picked Martin. For them, for the fit, for projecting the roster this year and in the future, he was the better pick.

I just think it's funny with the instant grades, second guesses, and what-ifs every year. Suddenly now Mathis was a bad pick (too bad he got hurt)...oh yea, J Dotson and BRob were reaches too. Remember that?

Just like Ruh said - we picked up Wylie in the off-season. We also picked up Gates. There are still good players left to be drafted, and there are still good free agent offensive linemen available (right now), and more to be had when players start getting cut.

For me, this offseason is shaping up pretty good so far - in free agency, the draft, new coaches...the sale...all of it.

Last edited by Chief X_Phackter; 04-29-2023 at 12:27 PM.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 12:09 PM   #231
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
I know Fuller is getting old and expensive, so Forbes was a little bit of a need reach.
At 16 and who was left on the board, I liked CB Christian Gonzalez better, 4.38 speed and true corner. Gonzalez was rated by many as top 10 pick in this draft that dropped in someone’s lap at 17. That is great value even if you already have corners. Corners are a valuable commodity in the NFL you can trade later.
I fear Forbes at 166 pounds, in the nfl could be become a “not fast enough to be a corner and not big enough to be a safety.
He is slot CB picked at 17. He better become the best slot corner ever.
Forbes clocked 4.35 at the combine, and aside from his weight is considered by many as being elite. As for his weight, he played three seasons in the SEC without missing a game due to injury. He is not a slot corner.
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 12:09 PM   #232
vallin21
The Starter

Quote:
Emmanuel Forbes
CB Mississippi State

Jartavius Martin
CB Illinois

Ricky Stromberg
OC Arkansas

Blake Freeland
OT BYU

SirVocea Dennis
LB Pittsburgh

Payne Durham
TE Purdue

Atonio Mafi
OG UCLA

Keaton Mitchell
RB East Carolina
We definitely need an OT that could eventually become a starter.
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 12:12 PM   #233
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
Agreed, while I'd have taken Mauch in the 2nd instead, and probably Blackmon or Latu in the 3rd, I'm not an NFL GM, so its just my opinion. We had need in the secondary and OL, and they drafted DBs and a C. Good/best picks? We'll only know in time but I don't see them as bad picks based on what's known of them.

Question is, what now? 5 picks left, so what do we do with those? For me we have to target TE and LB, but apart from that has to be BPA. Toney is likely gone (suspended indefinitely) and CY is a ? so an edge rusher makes sense, if only for depth.
I think we'll see more O-line, LB, DE, and RB. Not sure they'll go TE.

My sneaky pick is RB Deuce Vaughn from K-State in round 5.
Old 04-29-2023, 12:13 PM   #234
EdmundDorf
The Starter

I think Ron has become too obsessed with position flex. Not every guy needs to have multiple positions if he is very good at one. I think that is why they passed on the likes of Torrence and Schmidtz
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 12:19 PM   #235
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Eagles get a Corner projected to go in first couple rounds by almost everyone in the fourth. And he is basically surrounded by his college team. We are not competing with then for years. Lol.
Old 04-29-2023, 12:24 PM   #236
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
I think Ron has become too obsessed with position flex. Not every guy needs to have multiple positions if he is very good at one. I think that is why they passed on the likes of Torrence and Schmidtz
Seems that way to me, too.
Old 04-29-2023, 12:24 PM   #237
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
In this violent sport, position flex is pretty valuable, especially on the O-line. If I have two players I like similarly and one can play G and C, but the other one can only play one of those positions - I'm taking the more versatile guy all day.
Old 04-29-2023, 12:25 PM   #238
HTTR
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
You m'fers need to chill out. We got Wylie in the off-season. Can still pick up players in the later rounds and there will likely be a second round of free agency after the draft.

At the end if the day, this team's strength is the defense. And I don't mind adding playmakers to our secondary.

You can add talent to the online, but better play calling, commitment to the run, and hopefully improved Howell will help.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

I like Ruh’s take. Plus let’s be honest about where we are. We’re still a team mired in mediocrity, just beginning to see a crack of light in the dark gloom of the Snyder administration. Legacy men RR and MM are clinging to jobs they are destined soon to lose, and they don’t have the ownership direction or inherent vision and skill to get this team on solid playoff footing. What they did bring was a certain professionalism and integrity that held things together through the Haskins debacle and the Snyder clown show. And that’s not nothing. I think Josh Harris will inherit a roster that a new GM and HC will find intriguing — some solid parts and lots of headroom.

A lot is going to happen in the next 3 months, and if worst case we crap out on OL and SH in 2023, well, the 24 draft could be the true start of the next Skins era.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2023, 12:26 PM   #239
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Later when? You can't predict when these guys are going. If they liked him, they liked him - and they took him when they had the opportunity. Maybe they didn't like Torrance or the other O-linemen that were available when they picked Martin. For them, for the fit, for projecting the roster this year and in the future, he was the better pick.

I just think it's funny with the instant grades, second guesses, and what-ifs every year. Suddenly now Mathis was a bad pick (too bad he got hurt)...oh yea, BRob was a reach too. Remember that?

Just like Ruh said - we picked up Wylie in the off-season. We also picked up Gates. There are still good players left to be drafted, and there are still good free agent offensive linemen available (right now), and more to be had when players start getting cut.

For me, this offseason is shaping up pretty good so far - in free agency, the draft, new coaches...the sale...all of it.

When we win more than 7-8 games I’ll believe they are doing things the right way. Again nobody is saying these picks are bad players, but foregoing a stud at one position of need for a scheme fit at another position of need (who you could find later whether it be the exact guy or a comp) is a losing strategy.
Old 04-29-2023, 12:28 PM   #240
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
When we win more than 7-8 games I’ll believe they are doing things the right way. Again nobody is saying these picks are bad players, but foregoing a stud at one position of need for a scheme fit at another position of need (who you could find later whether it be the exact guy or a comp) is a losing strategy.
Your making a lot of assumptions here...