Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Offensive line depth (R. Thomas' injury)

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Who do you expect to see starting at right guard on Sunday?
Rinehart 95 76.61%
Montgomery 17 13.71%
Armstrong 12 9.68%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #226
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Re: Offensive line depth (R. Thomas' injury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennSkinsFan View Post
Here is our annual Offensive Line rant, just coming a bit early this year.

http://dcprosportsreport.com/2009/09/is-randy-thomas-the-outer-bands-of-a-bad-storm-coming.html
Rather than rant, let's look at this a little more objectively. Snyder has invested in the OL, it's just been through FA and contract resturctures. Jansen and Thomas restructures in 2007 are what have really hurt. If they both could've been productive through this year we'd have been much better off. No one could forsee both breaking down they way they did after being durable for most of their careers. Dock was a great FA signing. Rabach was a great FA signing in 2005. Samuels has been locked up for the remainder of his career.

I agree more emphasis could've been put on OL in the later rounds, but think about these things:
- Would you have passed on Orakpo at # 13?
- Trading down in 2008 and picking up DT was a good move in that draft, most had him as the #1 rated WR and all the premier OTs & DEs we targeted were gone. Our Smurf-sized WRs was a big complaint that off-season.
- Wasn't OLB an area of need in 2007 when we took Rocky.
- In 2006 didn't we need a CB pretty bad when we took Rogers. Later in the draft, Gibbs made the decision on moving up to get Campbell, not Snyderatto.

Outside of a couple of plays, Rabach and Heyer have been solid. Not sure who Reid's "NFL Insiders" are but if both Rabach & Heyer we doing so poorly we wouldn't have put up the production we did against the Rams and we wouldn't have averaged 4.0 per rush and given up only two sacks against the Giants.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #227
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
Wow the Redskins insiders are always so hard on the front office. I think his assesment of the Oline is a little to harsh. They have not been that bad. They gave up two sacks to the most fierce pass rush in the NFL. Heyer has been decent, and I expect him to continue to get better. Anyway here is the story.
Redskins Insider - Play-Calling Isn't the Only Problem

" In their internal offseason evaluation of the roster, the Redskins identified the offensive line as their main deficiency."

And then, Dockery aside, we did nothing to address said main deficiency. Still baffles me. And please, no one give me Mike Williams as addressing the line. He's the offensive equivalent of Erasmus James.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #228
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Rather than rant, let's look at this a little more objectively. Snyder has invested in the OL, it's just been through FA and contract resturctures. Jansen and Thomas restructures in 2007 are what have really hurt. If they both could've been productive through this year we'd have been much better off. No one could forsee both breaking down they way they did after being durable for most of their careers. Dock was a great FA signing. Rabach was a great FA signing in 2005. Samuels has been locked up for the remainder of his career.

I agree more emphasis could've been put on OL in the later rounds, but think about these things:
- Would you have passed on Orakpo at # 13?
- Trading down in 2008 and picking up DT was a good move in that draft, most had him as the #1 rated WR and all the premier OTs & DEs we targeted were gone. Our Smurf-sized WRs was a big complaint that off-season.
- Wasn't OLB an area of need in 2007 when we took Rocky.
- In 2006 didn't we need a CB pretty bad when we took Rogers. Later in the draft, Gibbs made the decision on moving up to get Campbell, not Snyderatto.

Outside of a couple of plays, Rabach and Heyer have been solid. Not sure who Reid's "NFL Insiders" are but if both Rabach & Heyer we doing so poorly we wouldn't have put up the production we did against the Rams and we wouldn't have averaged 4.0 per rush and given up only two sacks against the Giants.
I agree. I like what they have done in the last two years. Orakpo was just not passable. They took the best player available. I think that next year they will adress it further. Vinny Cerrato has done a good job at making picks when he has the oppurtunity.
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #229
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
Wow the Redskins insiders are always so hard on the front office. I think his assesment of the Oline is a little to harsh. They have not been that bad. They gave up two sacks to the most fierce pass rush in the NFL. Heyer has been decent, and I expect him to continue to get better. Anyway here is the story.
Redskins Insider - Play-Calling Isn't the Only Problem
Another issue I have is with the comparisons from Gibbs 1 to the current times. We have these things called a salary cap and FA now that we didn't need to worry about the first go-round. If those weren't there we'd be contenders every year like the Red Sox & Yankees. Everyone would want to come here because like the Squire, Snyder would spend whatever it took to win.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #230
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Another issue I have is with the comparisons from Gibbs 1 to the current times. We have these things called a salary cap and FA now that we didn't need to worry about the first go-round. If those weren't there we'd be contenders every year like the Red Sox & Yankees. Everyone would want to come here because like the Squire, Snyder would spend whatever it took to win.
People seem to forget that. We were the highest payed team in the league. Most people did not know that. Another thing people forget is that we had a very good GM, Bobby Bethard, that Joe Gibbs ran out of town, in 1990. It was said that they had fierce arguments over young versus old players. Joe Gibbs wanting to go with veterans and Bethard want to go with youth. I remember feeling betrayed by Gibbs for costing us Bethard and then abruptly retiring, like a year or two later. Bethard went on to take the Chargers to a superbowl, while the Redskins went on to be one of the worst teams in the NFL.
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #231
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
It has. Chad Rhinehart is starting.

Redskins Insider - Rinehart, Montgomery to Compete for Line Spot

Still no decision. Guess they are waiting till game time. Zorn definitly has no confidence in Rino.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:48 PM   #232
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post

Still no decision. Guess they are waiting till game time. Zorn definitly has no confidence in Rino.
How did you come to that conclusion?
Old 09-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #233
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post

Yup, this has nothing to do with possibly Wil Montgomery doing a good job. No sir, it HAS to be something negative.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #234
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I was going to ask that same question.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #235
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post

" In their internal offseason evaluation of the roster, the Redskins identified the offensive line as their main deficiency."

And then, Dockery aside, we did nothing to address said main deficiency. Still baffles me. And please, no one give me Mike Williams as addressing the line. He's the offensive equivalent of Erasmus James.
This is the bottom line IMHO...the oline is marginally better than last year's and that's prior to the Thomas injury. This Sunday will be the real test.

...W. Montgomery was ok in run-blocking but struggled in the pass protection. My gut is it will be the same w/ Rinehart, and Heyer was being "held-up" by Randy. On the one had I won't be surprised if the right side is a disaster moving forward, on the other hand Fabini has been jobless w/ the trucking business in the toilet so he can always come back to fight his guts out
Old 09-23-2009, 04:47 PM   #236
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Yup, this has nothing to do with possibly Wil Montgomery doing a good job. No sir, it HAS to be something negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
I was going to ask that same question.

If Zorn had confidence in him wouldn’t he have already announced him as the starter immediately? He came out of preseason as the primary backup guard, only TWO weeks ago. Now he is sharing snaps for the position on Wednesday after at least a full day of practice.

Sure Montgomery filled in nicely, but I don’t see how 2.5 quarters override a decision made from Rino’s performance after training camp and a whole preseason of work, which occurred just weeks ago. Plus putting Montgomery in, means the “game day” back up would have to take over any special teams duties Will has/had. Plus it means in the event that Rabach goes down either Rino or Edwin Williams would come in at center or Montgomery would slide down to center and Rino (or someone else) comes in at guard.

Not trying to spin anything here or make things sound even more negative, just making a fairly obvious statement: Zorn does NOT have confidence in Rino, otherwise he would have been named the starter by now.

Yeah saying Zorn has no confidence in Rino is slightly speculating but honestly can anyone explain another possibility where Zorn DOES have confidence in Rino, but won’t name him the starter? Is he trying to keep the Lions “guessing” and game planning around our guard position…… what a tatic...
Old 09-23-2009, 05:09 PM   #237
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
I'd say the fact that Reinhardt didn't dress this past Sunday.

Armstrong was allowed to fill in for Thomas vs. Rams because because he had his helment and shoulderpads on. If Reinhardt was a formidable backup he would have been dressed and ready to go on Sunday.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #238
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Well Zorn seems to be saying good things about Rinehart. I don't think the fact he hasn't been named the starter is an obvious sign Zorn has no confidence in Rinehart.

Quote:
Chad Rinehart, the third-round pick in 2008 who has yet to suit up, could be named the starter.

“We have liked him in there with the starting group because they have helped him rise up,” Zorn said.
Zorn Looks to Make Right Decision At Right Guard

Quote:
Asked how Rinehart looked, Zorn replied: “Chad was strong. I saw him battling. I saw Will battling in there, too.”
Rinehart, Montgomery Split Reps At Right Guard
Old 09-23-2009, 05:13 PM   #239
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Tee View Post
I'd say the fact that Reinhardt didn't dress this past Sunday.

Armstrong was allowed to fill in for Thomas vs. Rams because because he had his helment and shoulderpads on. If Reinhardt was a formidable backup he would have been dressed and ready to go on Sunday.
Well we've already been through the whole "Armstrong" plays C/G, versatile backup, can't have too many active backup linemen because they can't contribute on special teams, and with Barnes and Smoot both inactive we had to make a decision of who should be active and it made more sense to have Mason than Rinehart active ordeal...so we won't rehash that.

And isn't this the second time you've brought up this mysterious Armstrong??
Old 09-23-2009, 05:40 PM   #240
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Well Zorn seems to be saying good things about Rinehart. I don't think the fact he hasn't been named the starter is an obvious sign Zorn has no confidence in Rinehart.

Zorn Looks to Make Right Decision At Right Guard

Rinehart, Montgomery Split Reps At Right Guard
Yeah me saying Zorn has NO confidence is a a little strong, i take that back.

Gald to see hes saying good things i just wish things were settle on the oline and the player likely in for the rest of the seasons (and beyond) was taking all the snaps right now.