Commanders 2024 Free Agency Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-12-2024, 10:49 AM   #211
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Commanders 2024 Free Agency Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Marcus Mariota has signed a 1 year deal per Adam S..

Good backup for a rookie
that's an odd one on day -1 of FA, but in camp you need qb bodies

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-12-2024, 10:49 AM   #212
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Wasn't Mariota in Philly with Brian Johnson?
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 10:51 AM   #213
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Outside of the Ertz and Ekeler it seems like some solid signings by Peters and co. I like the player from Carolina. Seems like the best upgrade. Plus a couple of DE's and a center that are most likely upgrades from what we had. Pretty good job so far. But like the draft, we just won't know how these guys will play for us until the games start.

But not a fan of signing older players on a team that is rebuilding. I know they don't want to call it a rebuild but it is.

106.7 just confirmed they signed Mariota as a backup. Meh.. He's got experience so that's a good one too. Solid back up that can compete w/ Sam perhaps.
I said it earlier but I honestly think Ertz and Ekelar are here to mentor. Ertz knows Kingsbury's system, Ekeler knows Lynn's run calls

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 10:54 AM   #214
MTK
\m/

Got to wonder what Sam’s future is here now. If someone offers up a draft pick take it and run.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:55 AM   #215
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Outside of the Ertz and Ekeler it seems like some solid signings by Peters and co. I like the player from Carolina. Seems like the best upgrade. Plus a couple of DE's and a center that are most likely upgrades from what we had. Pretty good job so far. But like the draft, we just won't know how these guys will play for us until the games start.

But not a fan of signing older players on a team that is rebuilding. I know they don't want to call it a rebuild but it is.

106.7 just confirmed they signed Mariota as a backup. Meh.. He's got experience so that's a good one too. Solid back up that can compete w/ Sam perhaps.

Ekeler on the deal we gave him is an absolutely fantastic signing. Missed three games last year and still had over 1000 all purpose yards and six touchdowns. He is not here to mentor anyone he is here to be an electrifying third down back and will be. Biadasz is one year removed from a pro bowl and arguably a top ten C in the league. He isn’t most likely better than what we had he is clearly better than what we had. Luvu is a score too. We have added several players that equal automatic upgrades and more importantly we haven’t broken the bank. These are not only quality signings but smart ones.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 10:59 AM   #216
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Got to wonder what Sam’s future is here now. If someone offers up a draft pick take it and run.

For real. Id like to think a fourth. Dude was a starter and certainly showed flashes. Behind a terrible oline and awful coaching staff. He should be worth a third, but id take a fourth.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:01 AM   #217
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Ekeler on the deal we gave him is an absolutely fantastic signing. Missed three games last year and still had over 1000 all purpose yards and six touchdowns. He is not here to mentor anyone he is here to be an electrifying third down back and will be. Biadasz is one year removed from a pro bowl and arguably a top ten C in the league. He isn’t most likely better than what we had he is clearly better than what we had. Luvu is a score too. We have added several players that equal automatic upgrades and more importantly we haven’t broken the bank. These are not only quality signings but smart ones.
I would agree, smart ones. It remains to been seen if they're good ones.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 11:02 AM   #218
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
The Mariota signing must spell the end for Howell, right? Just a matter of when / compensation?
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 11:03 AM   #219
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
I would agree, smart ones. It remains to been seen if they're good ones.

Well sure, but based on their most recent play it is hard to see how they come up short vs the guys they are replacing.
Gibson played in two more games than Ekeler and his numbers pale in comparison. Plus he was a liability with his fumbles.

Who even was our C? Our LB’s were straight trash. We got rid of our edge rushers. Our K is better. I see nothing but improvement across the board, and in some cases vast improvement.

Oh and only McManus is over 30. These are not aged broken down vets.

No commitments past 2026. If they play well we extend them if they don’t see ya. It is a free agency period that we have not seen in many moons.

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/...-frankie-luvu/
Old 03-12-2024, 11:08 AM   #220
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
I think it would be a mistake to trade him. But they didn't draft him so he is expendable to them.

I never saw Mariota have big passing days like Sam had, so to me there is just so much value to keep Sam. There is still so much room for growth & improvement w/ him. We saw this same thing w/ Kirk early in his career.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:13 AM   #221
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Well sure, but based on their most recent play it is hard to see how they come up short vs the guys they are replacing.
Gibson played in two more games than Ekeler and his numbers pale in comparison. Plus he was a liability with his fumbles.

Who even was our C? Our LB’s were straight trash. We got rid of our edge rushers. Our K is better. I see nothing but improvement across the board, and in some cases vast improvement.

Oh and only McManus is over 30. These are not aged broken down vets.
Well we all know how free agency works. lol. They're all good signings in March. But no doubt some guys are upgrades but I'll take a wait and see approach.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:16 AM   #222
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
I think it would be a mistake to trade him. But they didn't draft him so he is expendable to them.

I never saw Mariota have big passing days like Sam had, so to me there is just so much value to keep Sam. There is still so much room for growth & improvement w/ him. We saw this same thing w/ Kirk early in his career.

I would rather have Sam than Mariota, but they are both solid backups imo. Hopefully Maye or Daniels keep either one of them on the sideline. As far as mentors go Mariota obviously gets the edge so if we hit on a quarterback at 2 Id rather have Mariota. If our quarterback of the future needs a year to sit and learn id rather have Sam.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:16 AM   #223
MTK
\m/

Soon all of the focus is going to be on getting the #2 pick up and running and ready for the season. Clearly Mariota is going to be the backup, wouldn’t be fair to have Sam inactive on game days. Trade him and let him have a shot elsewhere.

Quinn coached against Sam twice last year, obviously he wasn’t overly impressed.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:17 AM   #224
Redskin Jim
Impact Rookie

Quote:

Agreed. I see way more value in Sam than Mariota. Mariota has stole money his whole career. Dude is an awful QB. Can’t read a defense and go through the route tree. Just a big knucklehead who used to be somewhat athletic, and played on a killer offense in Oregon. Professionally, a complete bust. Hasn’t done anything. Hasn’t won any big games. Doesn’t put up any numbers.
I guess maybe they want to move Sam to make Drake comfortable and had to sign a(ny) vet QB.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:19 AM   #225
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
Wasn't Mariota in Philly with Brian Johnson?
Yes he was