Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Debating with the enemy

Old 11-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #211
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Bomani Jones on Around the Horn had a great point that with the firing of Joe Pa saying Penn State is doing the same thing it's been doing. Protecting the institution.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #212
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
At this point, who's left that he could sink? I really don't get why he's still around either. It doesn't make a bit of sense. I think you hit the nail on the head earlier on in this thread about sacrificing his silence for promotions.
idk if its really a question of who else could he sink as much as how much farther he could sink PSU.

the civil lawsuit is going to be focused on PSU's notice of the activities and its failure to warn and rectify in addition to where each individual sexual rape/act occurred.

mcqueary could provide even more ammo for the civil suits.

just weird that grown men would watch or know these acts were happening and didnt want to do anything b/c of fear of rocking the status qou . . is football that big of a deal at PSU? i just cant relate to it. i eould like to think if i was mcqueary i would have acted, and acted violently and loudly, if i was in his shoes.

i was standing at a street corner in silver spring, this guy walks up reclose to this young girl who was waiting to cross the street and had her back turned to him, this older lady and I give each otehr this puzzled look, he then begans to fondle his manhood outside of his pants, and man i just lost it on him, i was cursing him out my blood was boiled, you know when your about to get into a fight and you kinda ask yourself if your gonna pop this guy, my brain ws saying lets go, all hands on deck . . if he wasnt so apologetic i probably would have . .i cursed him all the way across the street up in his face.

the weird thing was i could tell i had the aggression and he was domiciled/not wanting to fight but he made constant eye contact with me the whole time, really bugged me out b/c his body language was submissive but he locked eyes with me . . both ladies thanked me. got back to office called the cops, they sent this fat lady, she said i left the scene and she couldnt take a report. i said well can i give you a description and see if that matches any attacks in the area? she said no. real ****ing lazy bitch, just wasting tax payer money.

just surprised mcqueary didnt go on autopilot and react without thinking . .but then again, thats some unexpected stuff and when something like that,. just so unexpected happens maybe a person locks up?
Old 11-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #213
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Bomani Jones on Around the Horn had a great point that with the firing of Joe Pa saying Penn State is doing the same thing it's been doing. Protecting the institution.
I think that philosophy will prove to have been in error.......
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #214
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
just weird that grown men would watch or know these acts were happening and didnt want to do anything b/c of fear of rocking the status qou . . is football that big of a deal at PSU? i just cant relate to it. i eould like to think if i was mcqueary i would have acted, and acted violently and loudly, if i was in his shoes.
It is a big deal but I think it is a bigger deal elsewhere. I really hope this is a lesson to all of these big time sport institutions, that they should not sacrifice morality for their big bucks sports programs.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #215
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
At this point, who's left that he could sink? I really don't get why he's still around either. It doesn't make a bit of sense. I think you hit the nail on the head earlier on in this thread about sacrificing his silence for promotions.
The big thing would be if a there was a full blown child sex ring operating with multiple pedophiles. I personally still think it was just Sandusky that had a lot of people covering up for him, but just saying that doesnt make any sense at all. What reasons would multiple people have to cover up for an active pedophile? Its easy to speculate, especially with rumors of boosters involved and a DA that didnt pursue charges and then mysteriously disappear 5 years later after destroying his hard drive.

If the football program stays in The Big 10 (or another highly competitive and respected conference) I agree with Scud that it will just be a bottom feeder for probably a good 10+ years, but may never really return to greatness (its been a while anyways). But if they get severally reprimanded by the NCAA and are somehow kicked out of a major conference then any meaningful football program there is just done for good. I could see them falling out of D1 or even ending their football program altogether if something like that happened. The problem though is that Penn State is by far more well known as a football school than anything else; if their football program fails I could see the SS scenario with the whole school falling apart. For that reason alone I could see Pennsylvania (the commonwealth) and the NCAA doing their very best to prevent Penn State from being too harshly punished.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #216
saden1
MVP

Quote:
RT @Ben_Jones88: Wisconsin coach Brett Bielema on Penn State scandal. "Guess it's a good time to be a badger fan" (Via @trenni)
Really? Completely classless...and no, it's not a good time to be a Badger fan given that their head coach is making light of the plight of molested children at a rival university.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #217
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post

just surprised mcqueary didnt go on autopilot and react without thinking . .but then again, thats some unexpected stuff and when something like that,. just so unexpected happens maybe a person locks up?
Ive been kind of wondering if maybe Mcqueary already knew about Sandusky through rumors or something. I feel like the reaction a normal person would have stumbling upon something like that would be MUCH different. But if you already kind of knew that was going on your reaction may be different.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #218
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Guys, I'm telling you. The shit hasn't even hit the fan yet. It's still in its path to the fan currently. Hold onto your jockstraps.

SPORTSbyBROOKS SPORTSbyBROOKS

Penn State paid for victim's trip. RT @kzep: Sandusky may face assault charges in San Antonio also Former Penn St. Assistant Coach, accused of assaulting children, could face charges in San Antonio | WOAI LOCAL NEWS - 104.5 KZEP San Antonio's Classic Rock

Quote:
Jerry Sandusky is accused of taking "Victim 4" to the 1999 Alamo Bowl. That accuser, now 27, testified he was listed as a member of the Sandusky family party for the 1999 Alamo Bowl.

When the boy resisted his advances, Sandusky threatened to send him home from the Alamo Bowl, the report said.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #219
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Guys, I'm telling you. The shit hasn't even hit the fan yet. It's still in its path to the fan currently. Hold onto your jockstraps.

SPORTSbyBROOKS SPORTSbyBROOKS

Penn State paid for victim's trip. RT @kzep: Sandusky may face assault charges in San Antonio also Former Penn St. Assistant Coach, accused of assaulting children, could face charges in San Antonio | WOAI LOCAL NEWS - 104.5 KZEP San Antonio's Classic Rock
Your right. It will get....much worse before all is known.
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #220
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Smoot. Do me a favor and give Mark May a hug for me.

May- Everyone At Penn State Must Go - ESPN Video - ESPN

Love this rant from him.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 11-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #221
saden1
MVP

I just want to know what their thinking was in this whole mater from the beginning. You have an incident in 1998 that you could have handled immediately but you got caught in a game of "keep it a secret" and the problem will go away. Years later a graduate assistant coach sees a little boy being rapped at your facilities and you thought to yourself we got to cover this shit up so revelation of our past handling of similar matter wouldn't surface?

Where is the logic in covering up for Sandusky? Was the intent to save the institution from embarrassment and liability? It's hand for my brain to handle the madness....and the really sad part is Sandusky wanted to get caught only no one wanted to catch him.

-Jenkins

Last edited by saden1; 11-10-2011 at 06:31 PM.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #222
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

YOu want to know the kind of people supporting Joe Paterno, well here you go.

Sister of Jerry Sandusky victim talks about the pain of life at Penn State where students are joking about being 'Sanduskied' | PennLive.com
Old 11-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #223
itvnetop
Playmaker

I think the fact McQueary didn't react when he witnessed what he did is twofold. The easy answer is that the man lacks a sense of moral compass... hence everyone else outside the situation is incredulous by his response (going to his dad first). The other answer may reflect more about the culture at Penn State. McQueary's a former QB, definitely athletic enough to do something about what he saw. A former D1 football player, where most men have grown up their entire lives in an alpha-male environment... Normally one where instinct would have driven McQueary to act immediately.

But because he didn't, I'm wondering if the program is placed on such a pedestal that a simple graduate assistant's first reaction is one part fear of retribution and the other part filial obedience to the deific football culture. We can hypothesize all day, but I'm wondering if McQuery reacts differently had he gone to another school. This isn't to say Penn State breeds cowards or miscreants... I've never been to Happy Valley. But perhaps Nemo can shed some light here: Is football bigger than life at Penn State? I've witnessed Texas high school football, SEC country, etc. While those areas are highly fanatical, is pigskin almost transcendental at your alma mater?

The cover-ups, the demonstrations (in spite of), the general student body and alumni reaction... it's just too strange to ignore. I was reading a Penn State forum last night and some guy was recanting a talk he had with his daughter earlier. I can't sift through all of the posts now, but it went something like this (paraphrasing from memory):

Daughter: Why did Joe hurt that little boy?
Dad: It wasn't Joe. It was another man.
Daughter: Why didn't he stop it?
Dad: He didn't see it. Another man did and then told him about it.
Daughter: Did Joe help?
Dad: Yes, he told his boss.
Daughter: So he did something good?
Dad: Yes.
Daughter: So why is he getting fired? If you do something good, why does something bad happen to you?

Then the dad said he was at a loss for words and couldn't answer his daughter's last question. Then there were several replies commending this frustration. My initial thought was, "Dude, your daughter was on the right track (post first question). You totally swayed her to believe that Joe is a total victim! Why would you raise your daughter to believe this man's lack of action is not only acceptable... but a good thing?"

I sincerely don't believe these are evil people. I'm starting to think the minds of many within this community have been twisted by an abnormally prioritized culture.

my blather

Last edited by itvnetop; 11-10-2011 at 06:34 PM.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #224
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Ive been kind of wondering if maybe Mcqueary already knew about Sandusky through rumors or something. I feel like the reaction a normal person would have stumbling upon something like that would be MUCH different. But if you already kind of knew that was going on your reaction may be different.
what 28 year old man see's a 50 somthing guy rape a child and then go to his office so he can call his dad so he can figure out what to do. i doubt he knew anything prior, but you never know. either way there is no way in my opinion that he even came close to doing the right thing.

the thing i want to know is how the f does the ncaa find out about free shoes and free tats, but can't uncover a giant pedophile cover up going on at a major div 1 school. i think when this is all said and done there will be alot more people involved. i think the end result will be a death penalty for penn state. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_penalty_(NCAA)

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #225
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

@SPORTSbyBROOKS

SPORTSbyBROOKS A source close to Penn St football indicated to me this afternoon it is now a virtual certainty McQueary will not coach Saturday.

@SPORTSbyBROOKS

SPORTSbyBROOKS Source also said to expect an announcement to that effect as early as later today or tomorrow at the latest.
22 minutes ago via