Commanders 2024 Free Agency Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-12-2024, 10:59 AM   #1
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Re: Commanders 2024 Free Agency Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Got to wonder what Sam’s future is here now. If someone offers up a draft pick take it and run.

For real. Id like to think a fourth. Dude was a starter and certainly showed flashes. Behind a terrible oline and awful coaching staff. He should be worth a third, but id take a fourth.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 11:02 AM   #2
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Got to wonder what Sam’s future is here now. If someone offers up a draft pick take it and run.
The Mariota signing must spell the end for Howell, right? Just a matter of when / compensation?
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 11:08 AM   #3
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
I think it would be a mistake to trade him. But they didn't draft him so he is expendable to them.

I never saw Mariota have big passing days like Sam had, so to me there is just so much value to keep Sam. There is still so much room for growth & improvement w/ him. We saw this same thing w/ Kirk early in his career.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 11:16 AM   #4
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I think it would be a mistake to trade him. But they didn't draft him so he is expendable to them.

I never saw Mariota have big passing days like Sam had, so to me there is just so much value to keep Sam. There is still so much room for growth & improvement w/ him. We saw this same thing w/ Kirk early in his career.

I would rather have Sam than Mariota, but they are both solid backups imo. Hopefully Maye or Daniels keep either one of them on the sideline. As far as mentors go Mariota obviously gets the edge so if we hit on a quarterback at 2 Id rather have Mariota. If our quarterback of the future needs a year to sit and learn id rather have Sam.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:17 AM   #5
Redskin Jim
Impact Rookie

Quote:

Agreed. I see way more value in Sam than Mariota. Mariota has stole money his whole career. Dude is an awful QB. Can’t read a defense and go through the route tree. Just a big knucklehead who used to be somewhat athletic, and played on a killer offense in Oregon. Professionally, a complete bust. Hasn’t done anything. Hasn’t won any big games. Doesn’t put up any numbers.
I guess maybe they want to move Sam to make Drake comfortable and had to sign a(ny) vet QB.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:53 AM   #6
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin Jim View Post
Agreed. I see way more value in Sam than Mariota. Mariota has stole money his whole career. Dude is an awful QB. Can’t read a defense and go through the route tree. Just a big knucklehead who used to be somewhat athletic, and played on a killer offense in Oregon. Professionally, a complete bust. Hasn’t done anything. Hasn’t won any big games. Doesn’t put up any numbers.
I guess maybe they want to move Sam to make Drake comfortable and had to sign a(ny) vet QB.
Pretty much how I see him. He's a great athlete, great college player but has no feel for the NFL passing game at all. At this point in his career he is who he is, where w/ Sam I still see a lot of upside.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 11:57 AM   #7
Darrell Green Fan
Special Teams

Quote:
Pretty much how I see him. He's a great athlete, great college player but has no feel for the NFL passing game at all. At this point in his career he is who he is, where w/ Sam I still see a lot of upside.
This is the only signing I did not like. They wanted Darnold, this was probably the next guy on their list as they obviously need a vet to mentor the rookie. I hope he stays in the QB room, I'd feel better with Howell as the #2 which is why I hope they retain him.
Darrell Green Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 06:50 PM   #8
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
If it anything less than a #3 then no. He is better than Mariota and certainly cheaper.
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 11:16 AM   #9
MTK
\m/

Soon all of the focus is going to be on getting the #2 pick up and running and ready for the season. Clearly Mariota is going to be the backup, wouldn’t be fair to have Sam inactive on game days. Trade him and let him have a shot elsewhere.

Quinn coached against Sam twice last year, obviously he wasn’t overly impressed.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:25 AM   #10
vallin21
The Starter

Quote:
Soon all of the focus is going to be on getting the #2 pick up and running and ready for the season. Clearly Mariota is going to be the backup, wouldn’t be fair to have Sam inactive on game days. Trade him and let him have a shot elsewhere.

Quinn coached against Sam twice last year, obviously he wasn’t overly impressed.
This. Don’t delay the inevitable. Trade Sam for what we can.
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM   #11
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:

Yeah but if I needed a starter this year and the choice was Mariota or Sam Im taking Sam all day. The decision on who to make backup is really dependent on whether the second pick in the draft is ready to roll week one. If he is ill take Marcus the mentor, but if he isn’t I want Sam. Obviously the decision will be made before week one, so I hope to hell the second pick is ready to roll or that somehow Sam is our backup. I do not ever want Mariota taking the field really.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:42 AM   #12
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Yeah but if I needed a starter this year and the choice was Mariota or Sam Im taking Sam all day. The decision on who to make backup is really dependent on whether the second pick in the draft is ready to roll week one. If he is ill take Marcus the mentor, but if he isn’t I want Sam. Obviously the decision will be made before week one, so I hope to hell the second pick is ready to roll or that somehow Sam is our backup. I do not ever want Mariota taking the field really.
The 2nd overall pick isn’t riding the pine
Old 03-12-2024, 11:44 AM   #13
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Commanders 2024 Free Agency Thread

Quote:

Not by design. What if he starts week one, and shits the bed though? I hate even typing that but it is always a possibility. I believe all three of them will flourish but ……

Ideally Sam gets a chance to start elsewhere, number 2 pans out , and Marcus gets to be a mentor.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:51 AM   #14
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Not by design. What if he starts week one, and shits the bed though? I hate even typing that but it is always a possibility. I believe all three of them will flourish but ……

Ideally Sam gets a chance to start elsewhere, number 2 pans out , and Marcus gets to be a mentor.
Look at BY in Carolina last year, he struggled but they stuck with him.

Unless the #2 pick is a complete disaster he’s going to play.
Old 03-12-2024, 12:36 PM   #15
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
He's not, but I really wished he would. Mahomes rode the pine his entire first year and it did him the world of good.

Same with Rodgers, Rivers, Love, etc....
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote