Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Chris Cooley for a 1st and a 3rd -- would you do it?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-15-2009, 10:00 PM   #211
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Re: Chris Cooley for a 1st and a 3rd -- would you do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket$ $traight View Post
Portis says Rock is the heart and soul and the offense has gotten better since Cooley got injured.

I definitely agree that a lot of people are significantly overvaluing him. He is a great player but may not even be the best tight end on the team.
i'm not taking anythign away from davis he has been fantastic, but do you seriously think cooley couldn't be out there doing the same thing right now, he has his whole career.

again i'm not trying to take anything away from davis he is amazing all i am saying is so is cooley and some people are quick to forget what cooley has done, i'm not one of them and i can't wait to see cooley and davis tear shit up next year on the same field

if we trade cooley away for a chance to pick up some one who might be a benifit to this team let alone a player of pro bowl caliber i think it would be a joke and an example of how f-ed our front office is

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-15-2009, 10:03 PM   #212
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
cooley's value goes beyond the feild he is right now the heart and sould of this organization, he is a fan favorite no doubt, but he is our main offensive weapon, he just isn't playing right now.

and you do realize only two guys make it to the pro bowl for te so to say he is "just a pro bowler" is kind of ridiculious
I'm not saying it's a cause and effect thing because I love Cooley but when he was our main offensive weapon our offense was just offensive, now the offense is becoming a weapon.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:12 PM   #213
perez24
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
No dice for anything less than 1'st round or second and third rounder. Honestly though why would anyone in their right mind want to trade him? If nothing else this season has shown it's worth having two quality TE on your team. I love Yoder but he isn't going to make the big catches down the field and YACs like Davis is now. Great TE aren't a dime a dozen folks and 2 is better than one.
I would hate to see him traded, but the only guy who would give up 1 and 3 for a TE, no matter how many Pro Bowls, receptions, and funny blogs, already has a job...with the Redskins.
perez24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:12 PM   #214
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I'm not saying it's a cause and effect thing because I love Cooley but when he was our main offensive weapon our offense was just offensive, now the offense is becoming a weapon.
i agree but do you not think cooley would benifit from the new play calling?

i just hate how everyone sees davis have 4/5 good games and next thing you hear is trade cooley, and the same people say we need to build a team through the draft and stay young. we drafted him, and he is young wtf?

ST21
Old 12-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #215
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post

I agree. It seems like Davis is better at finishing drives.

My eye analysis (which probably isn't worth as much as the beer that I drink during the game) is that Davis creates more space than Cooley does. Cooley has the edge on breaking tackles but I think Davis is definitely faster. I think that both have great hands.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:17 PM   #216
djnemo65
Playmaker

Quote:
cooley's value goes beyond the feild he is right now the heart and sould of this organization, he is a fan favorite no doubt, but he is our main offensive weapon, he just isn't playing right now.

and you do realize only two guys make it to the pro bowl for te so to say he is "just a pro bowler" is kind of ridiculious
Last year it was five people, but the point is that none of them would ever be traded for a first and third round pick. Show me some precedent to prove otherwise but absent that you're unlikely to convince me that this is a realistic trade scenario.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:21 PM   #217
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

In 7 games played, Cooley had 29 receptions for 332 yards and 2 TD's, in 13 games Davis has 35 receptions for 369 yards and 5 TD's. Davis first good game was the against Philly in Washington when Cooley got hurt. He actually started getting consistently better 3 weeks ago, against Philly again, then NO and Oakland. Isn't that the time our OL started playing better? What makes you guys think that Cooley couldn't have better numbers if he didn't get hurt? Bottom line it would be crazy to trade Cooley or Davis. How about Andre Carter, he's got high value? He's having a pro-bowl season and will be 31 in May, why not trade him now that we got Jarmon. If we draft a LB, Wilson could be moved to DE with Orakpo.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #218
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
Last year it was five people, but the point is that none of them would ever be traded for a first and third round pick. Show me some precedent to prove otherwise but absent that you're unlikely to convince me that this is a realistic trade scenario.
two from the nfc, thats what i was refering to, and don't get me wrong if someone was retarded enough to offer us a first and a third we would be idiots not to take it but realistically with him coming off an injury the best we could hope for is mid 3rd round for him(at best) and that isn't worth it.

my arguement is based off of what kinda of deal we could realistically get and imo those deals aren't worth taking

ST21
Old 12-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #219
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Looking back now, I'm thinking I'm starting to understand why the Redskins said no when the Broncos asked for Davis in any Cutler trade
Old 12-15-2009, 10:31 PM   #220
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
In 7 games played, Cooley had 29 receptions for 332 yards and 2 TD's, in 13 games Davis has 35 receptions for 369 yards and 5 TD's. Davis first good game was the against Philly in Washington when Cooley got hurt. He actually started getting consistently better 3 weeks ago, against Philly again, then NO and Oakland. Isn't that the time our OL started playing better? What makes you guys think that Cooley couldn't have better numbers if he didn't get hurt? Bottom line it would be crazy to trade Cooley or Davis. How about Andre Carter, he's got high value? He's having a pro-bowl season and will be 31 in May, why not trade him now that we got Jarmon. If we draft a LB, Wilson could be moved to DE with Orakpo.

See this argument confuses me. Take Davis' numbers from when Cooley got hurt (overlap) and compare. Because I think it makes sense to compare numbers when they were both starting. Looking at that, they are negligable. I think what it proves is that both are starting quality tight ends. In other words, you could trade one of these guys and there isn't much of a dropoff.

Now trading Carter is the same as trading Landry if you ask me. You trade Carter, you have a big hole. Sure you could stick Rak in there but we need him at linebacker right now. Yes we have Jarmon but he has a two year injury to come back from. So in my opinion trading Carter makes the team worse. Just like trading Landry creates a hole and makes the team worse.

I think the basic idea in making a trade is to get something that improves your team and doesn't leave you with a bigger hole than you started with.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:35 PM   #221
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
See this argument confuses me. Take Davis' numbers from when Cooley got hurt (overlap) and compare. Because I think it makes sense to compare numbers when they were both starting. Looking at that, they are negligable. I think what it proves is that both are starting quality tight ends. In other words, you could trade one of these guys and there isn't much of a dropoff.

Now trading Carter is the same as trading Landry if you ask me. You trade Carter, you have a big hole. Sure you could stick Rak in there but we need him at linebacker right now. Yes we have Jarmon but he has a two year injury to come back from. So in my opinion trading Carter makes the team worse. Just like trading Landry creates a hole and makes the team worse.

I think the basic idea in making a trade is to get something that improves your team and doesn't leave you with a bigger hole than you started with.
You fill the holes with draft picks acquired, Lorenzo Alexander can play DE, give Rob Jackson a chance. I would definitely resign Golston and possibly Montgomery.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 12-15-2009, 10:37 PM   #222
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:

exactly why not have two starting te's no one will know who to cover in a double te set

so we ship off cooley what happens when davis goes down we put in yoder?

everyone keeps saying the word depth, does anyone know what that means????

ST21
Old 12-15-2009, 10:40 PM   #223
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
You fill the holes with draft picks acquired, Lorenzo Alexander can play DE, give Rob Jackson a chance. I would definitely resign Golston and possibly Montgomery.

But we have other holes to fill (o-line, possibly corner, LB). If you trade a player and create a hole and then use the pick you traded for to fill the hole, I don't see how you are ahead.

It doesn't seem that these talent evaluators can pick a guy outside of the first round who will start immediately. (Rocky, Devin, Fred, Malcolm, Tryon etc) so I can't count on them picking a starter with a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:44 PM   #224
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
exactly why not have two starting te's no one will know who to cover in a double te set

so we ship off cooley what happens when davis goes down we put in yoder?

everyone keeps saying the word depth, does anyone know what that means????
Does anyone run an offense with two productive tight ends? I think that is asking a lot from this offense. We can barely have two productive pass catchers in general on Sundays.

I understand the depth argument. I think the general view is that if you can get a starting o-lineman along with another productive guy by trading one of these tight ends, is it worth it. I would say yes but there are a lot of variables.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #225
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
But we have other holes to fill (o-line, possibly corner, LB). If you trade a player and create a hole and then use the pick you traded for to fill the hole, I don't see how you are ahead.

It doesn't seem that these talent evaluators can pick a guy outside of the first round who will start immediately. (Rocky, Devin, Fred, Malcolm, Tryon etc) so I can't count on them picking a starter with a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
My point is you can probably get a 2nd rounder for Carter or a 3rd and something else. Carter is no spring chicken and aren't most people saying his stats are a product of Haynesworth? Trade him while he's got value, I think Rob Jackson could be productive if given the chance. The main holes this team has are OL,RB,LB,QB.

Purveyor of fine Filth