Merged: The Movies Thread

Parking Lot

Old 04-21-2008, 02:26 PM   #211
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Re: Merged: The Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
You didn't like There Will Be Blood? That sucks, that was next on my list of movies to see.
I didnt say I didnt like it,just wasnt as good as I thought it was going to be,didnt like the ending,just like no country,I didnt like the ending

Advertisements
Old 04-21-2008, 02:29 PM   #212
Redskin
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
I'll call your bluff. While it looks funny, and it's a Judd Apatow movie, 2 things bother me. We've yet to see Jason Segel carry a movie as the male lead (he's funny on How I Met Your Mother, but NPH carries that show), and I can't stand Mila Kunis.

No I swear best movie ever!!11!!1!1!, Aight maybe not but we got a sneak preview at USC and the movie was so funny. I could not sop laughing, the characters that the movie has are awsome. GO SEE IT NOW!!!!
#21#RIP Sean Taylor a TRUE Redskin#21#
<--Hey wheres my green approval rating?
Redskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:53 PM   #213
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
REDBOX Rocks! You need to learn how to use it best and that is on-line.

I go on-line check local Red Boxes for their inventory select what I want and reserve it. I usually do this Friday morning and get whatever new movies are out. So come Friday night after work I stop by pick up my hard to find New Release for a buck. Then drive by Blockbuster and wave to all the folks who have gone there to find out that the movie they wanted is sold out and they are now renting Out of Africa for five bucks.
yeah, I rent from machines now. There's one in safeway that charges a buck fifty/night. I usually keep a movie for only one day and pass by there every day, so its very convenient, cheap, and it always has the movie i want.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:28 PM   #214
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

I watched Juno last night and really liked it, actually.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:04 AM   #215
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I just got done watching No Country For Old Men. I can only wonder what could've been. I sat there the entire movie, and I thought, man this movie is so good, but I have this feeling that the ending is going to be not what I expected, like the bad guy wins or something. And I was completely shocked at the end, I figured either what's his face (serial killer crazy insane dude dressed in black) is gonna die, or Tommy Lee Jones is gonna die, because one of them is probably gonna kill the other, and since I was expecting the unexpected I figured crazy insane dude was just gonna kill everyone and take the money. But I really wasn't expecting that ending lol. I've probably revealed enough to anyone who hasn't seen the movie, but damn, that ending really disappointed me. I feel like it didn't offer closure, which for me is essential to securing the movie as one of my all time favorites.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:08 AM   #216
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
You're not alone... in fact most people were put off by the ending. But it's technically a near flawless film... it's going to be used over and over in film classes to dissect elements like cinematography, pacing and writing.

* Spoilers *

The movie works because it accomplishes the vision of the original book. NCFOM is a thematic movie, moreso than character-driven. The Coens have a knack for straying from traditional film structure- you didn't really have a "good guy protagonist" to root for, per se... there was Brolin's character, who played an average Joe- the audience wants him to get away with the money, but he still pulls off an unethical action (stealing money that's not his). Bardem's psycho character is definitely not the guy to root for, but he displays his own abstract sense of morality. And Tommy Lee Jones was the dude that verbalizes McCarthy's (the original book's author) overarching message- the world is becoming evil and good can no longer stop it... only fate can hope to stumble it...

Leaving out the death scenese for major characters is intentional to the overall theme. You're left wondering "wtf" during certain aftermath shots (and the ending) b/c the storytelling is so un-Hollywood. The movie's not wrapped up in a bowtie at the end and that surely pissed a bunch of people off.

/film geekness
I can definitely dig what you're saying. For the reasons you listed it is a good movie. I just wish it offered closure at the end, but I can see why they ended it like that. Overall though it was a good movie.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:42 AM   #217
Redskin
Impact Rookie

NCFOM was nice untill it ended horribly
#21#RIP Sean Taylor a TRUE Redskin#21#
<--Hey wheres my green approval rating?
Redskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:34 AM   #218
onlydarksets
Playmaker

That's the 10% I was referring to earlier about No Country.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:35 AM   #219
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalEnigma21 View Post
I watched Juno last night and really liked it, actually.
I saw it in the theater, I enjoyed it. Would I sit down and watch it again? Probably not, but it was good.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #220
MTK
\m/

I saw 3:10 to Yuma this weekend, solid flick. I thought the ending was a little ridiculous with how they managed to get through the town with everyone and their mothers taking shots at them but still a good movie overall. Russell Crowe is a badass.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #221
dmek25
MVP

what is it with movies? i watched cloverfield last night. overall, i liked it. but the ending was terrible. doesn't anyone know how to finish a movie anymore?
Old 04-28-2008, 12:08 PM   #222
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
what is it with movies? i watched cloverfield last night. overall, i liked it. but the ending was terrible. doesn't anyone know how to finish a movie anymore?

Aside from the classic "Money Shot" I do not think so. American Cinema has lost itself. No originality or creativness anymore. They keep trying to pass off last decades classics as this years blockbuster hype. In the end they just have a bust without the block.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #223
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

So I watched The Fugitive last night for the first time, and I realized that U.S. Marshals was like a sequel to it because in both movies Tommy Lee Jones plays Sam Gerard and he has his usual cast of U.S. Marshals in both. Are there any other movies out there with Tommy Lee Jones in it in that role? Was it a series of movies or did they just make U.S. Marshals as a sequel to The Fugitive?
Old 04-28-2008, 04:41 PM   #224
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
So I watched The Fugitive last night for the first time, and I realized that U.S. Marshals was like a sequel to it because in both movies Tommy Lee Jones plays Sam Gerard and he has his usual cast of U.S. Marshals in both. Are there any other movies out there with Tommy Lee Jones in it in that role? Was it a series of movies or did they just make U.S. Marshals as a sequel to The Fugitive?
It was more like a spin-off rather than a sequel, but yes, they just made US Marshals because of the success of The Fugitive.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:43 PM   #225
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

last weekend I saw the forbidden kingdon and forgetting sarah marshall both were great movies the only thing i didnt like about sarah marshall is that they showed the guys nuts like 6 times. Damn it hollywood a mans genitals is not nudity!

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote