All things Science related. λν = c

Parking Lot

Old 02-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #211
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Re: All things Science related. λν = c

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Scientists making sasquatch science look bad.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #212
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

We're all doomed.

Subatomic calculations indicate finite lifespan for universe - Yahoo! News

Quote:
"It may be that the universe we live in is inherently unstable and at some point billions of years from now it's all going to get wiped out," said Lykken, who is also on the science team at Europe's Large Hadron Collider, or LHC, the world's largest and highest-energy particle accelerator.

Quote:
"This calculation tells you that many tens of billions of years from now, there'll be a catastrophe," Lykken said.

"A little bubble of what you might think of as an ‘alternative' universe will appear somewhere and then it will expand out and destroy us," Lykken said, adding that the event will unfold at the speed of light.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #213
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Scientists making sasquatch science look bad.

I watched an episode of BigFoot Further Evidence last night. Its an interesting show that follows 3 guys and a young boy in their search for bigfoot. It reminded me of the people who like to chase storms and tornados.

How sweet would it be if they came out with movie just like Twister, but about bigfoot?
Old 02-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #214
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
I watched an episode of BigFoot Further Evidence last night. Its an interesting show that follows 3 guys and a young boy in their search for bigfoot. It reminded me of the people who like to chase storms and tornados.

How sweet would it be if they came out with movie just like Twister, but about bigfoot?
How? We actuall have clear pictures and video of storms and tornados.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #215
MTK
\m/

Wow even FD knows science when he sees it. Except for climate change of course.

Interesting to note in my area every year they have a winter carnival on Lake George. The lake has failed to completely freeze over for the 9th time in the last 21 years. Prior to that, it only failed to freeze over 3 times in the last 83 years.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #216
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Wow even FD knows science when he sees it. Except for climate change of course.

Interesting to note in my area every year they have a winter carnival on Lake George. The lake has failed to completely freeze over for the 9th time in the last 21 years. Prior to that, it only failed to freeze over 3 times in the last 83 years.
Bigfoot is to blame for that.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #217
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
How? We actuall have clear pictures and video of storms and tornados.

Well i dont know when the last time you watched Twister was, but it was more than just a rekindled romance love story action adventure. It was also about a group of storm chasers trying to release a bunch of electrodes, nicked named Dorothy, into a tornado in order to be the first ones to measure the structure of a tornado. So because of storm chasers the clear pictures, videos, and structural understanding of tornados we have now, exist.

Last edited by mlmpetert; 02-26-2013 at 10:33 AM.
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #218
mlmpetert
Playmaker

50 Sexy Scientists - Business Insider

Unfortunitly most scientists are dudes.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #219
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Neuro-throwback

The essence of the Hunter vs. Farmer hypothesis is that behavior associated with ADHD helps people such as hunter-gatherers and pastoral nomads, and others who lead a peripatetic life. Since today’s sedentary city dwellers are recently descended from such people, natural selection may not have had time to purge the genes that cause it.

Let me construct a narrative as to just how might this have happened. For much of recent human history there has been the State. Powerful Political polities, that have effected recent human evolution. In the language of French Philosopher Gilles Deleuze, the State “over codes” everyone, and thus People aren’t self existent human beings in their own right, but cogs in a vast utilitarian machine. Those born to eccentric shapes are soon pounded into concentric shapes. It’s an extractive process akin to sculpting: People don’t become more under the influence of civilization, they become less.

Not everyone bears the yoke gladly and there are those who resist. Historically there have been wastelands on the periphery of Civilizations. Rebellious and enterprising souls, escaped slaves, criminals, religious ascetics and other misfits have taken to these areas to make lives for themselves. The Steppe areas around the Baltic Sea and Central Asia have been such a place. Nomadic cultures, organized around pastoralism (and also piracy and brigandry) formed again and again.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #220
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

A particularly interesting article regarding my neck of the woods:

The Center for Land Use Interpretation

THERE ARE DOZENS of aerial photo calibration targets across the USA, curious land-based two-dimensional optical artifacts used for the development of aerial photography and aircraft. They were made mostly in the 1950s and 1960s, though some apparently later than that, and many are still in use, though their history is obscure.

Most of them follow the same general form established by the Air Force and NASA (and prior to 1958, its precursor agency, NACA): a concrete or asphalt pad constructed flat on the ground, 78 feet by 53 feet, coated in a heavy black and white paint. The pattern painted on the targets is sets of parallel and perpendicular bars duplicated at 15 or so different sizes, and, sometimes, a large white square. The configuration is sometimes referred to as a 5:1 aspect Tri-bar Array, and follows a similar relative scale as a common resolution test chart known as the 1951 USAF Resolving Power Test Target, conforming to milspec MIL-STD-150A. This test pattern is still widely used to determine the resolving power of microscopes, telescopes, cameras, and scanners.

Possibly just of interest to me

Last edited by RedskinRat; 02-27-2013 at 01:26 PM.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #221
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
It's all very cool. Thanks!
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #222
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
A particularly interesting article regarding my neck of the woods:

The Center for Land Use Interpretation

THERE ARE DOZENS of aerial photo calibration targets across the USA, curious land-based two-dimensional optical artifacts used for the development of aerial photography and aircraft. They were made mostly in the 1950s and 1960s, though some apparently later than that, and many are still in use, though their history is obscure.

Most of them follow the same general form established by the Air Force and NASA (and prior to 1958, its precursor agency, NACA): a concrete or asphalt pad constructed flat on the ground, 78 feet by 53 feet, coated in a heavy black and white paint. The pattern painted on the targets is sets of parallel and perpendicular bars duplicated at 15 or so different sizes, and, sometimes, a large white square. The configuration is sometimes referred to as a 5:1 aspect Tri-bar Array, and follows a similar relative scale as a common resolution test chart known as the 1951 USAF Resolving Power Test Target, conforming to milspec MIL-STD-150A. This test pattern is still widely used to determine the resolving power of microscopes, telescopes, cameras, and scanners.

This is how the aliens will calibrate their targeting systems. Thanks Air Force.

:cheeky-sm
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #223
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

This would be incredible if it actually happens:

http://http://www.space.com/19981-pr...ried-2018.html

Quote:
A new nonprofit led by the world's first space tourist is mounting an ambitious plan to launch the first manned mission to Mars in 2018, a voyage that could include an adventurous married crew.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #224
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Since St. Patty's Day is coming, go ahead and drink up!
Heavy drinkers get extra brain fuel from alcohol | Body & Brain | Science News
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #225
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Since St. Patty's Day is coming, go ahead and drink up!
Heavy drinkers get extra brain fuel from alcohol | Body & Brain | Science News
That's bullshit. If that was true I'd be a Rocket Scientist.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote