Let's talk good beer

Parking Lot

Old 01-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

re: Let's talk microbrews good beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
EQ - just head to your local beer store, pick something up and give it a whirl. If you're normally drinking Corona, give Landshark Lager a try. But if you go back over this thread, there are plenty of examples to give a try. At first, stick to the more mainstream beers (Guinness, Bass, Killians' Red, Yuengling, etc.) and then get adventurous. Check out BeerAdvocate - Respect Beer. and learn about beer and the different styles and start with ones that sound good to you.

Look at AMD. When I first met him, he was chugging Natty Light through a funnel. And now he's all growns up...
It's funny because it's true!
Old 01-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #2
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
EQ - just head to your local beer store, pick something up and give it a whirl. If you're normally drinking Corona, give Landshark Lager a try. But if you go back over this thread, there are plenty of examples to give a try. At first, stick to the more mainstream beers (Guinness, Bass, Killians' Red, Yuengling, etc.) and then get adventurous. Check out BeerAdvocate - Respect Beer. and learn about beer and the different styles and start with ones that sound good to you.

Look at AMD. When I first met him, he was chugging Natty Light through a funnel. And now he's all growns up...
Yuengling is good. I've had that but I am not a fan of Guiness for some reason. I know that will piss Matty off but I dont like Guiness. Then again I am probably the only black guy who hates watermellon.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #3
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Yuengling is good. I've had that but I am not a fan of Guiness for some reason. I know that will piss Matty off but I dont like Guiness. Then again I am probably the only black guy who hates watermellon.
BD list some great advice on aquiring a taste for real beer. Yuengling is a great starter beer. Im gonna suggest Blue Moon Belgian White. Along with really the obvious taste, which is more aquired as you drink it, the real difference is the "heaviness" of the beer. Where you drink a 12 pack of Natty and its "heaviness " or consistancy as i describe it is more like water, the style of good beers at first is gonna seem like eating a meal if you drink a sixer of something good. More filling. The taste will adjust naturally, like when everybody started drinking beer in early high school, the taste had to be aquired. Miller light tasted pretty nasty at first (still does) but the more you drink it, easier it became. So in suggesting Blue Moon Belgian White or Yuengling its a lighter tranistion. Drinking Guiness (which is a personal fav) and your not used to it, is like consuming a full course buffet, that sh*t is thick, super heavy. But that is the nature of the stout.

EQ, after you try a couple transitions, quickly move to the Sam Adams line...much better beer with a very wide selection of all styles. Sam Adams was break through in the mid 90s for me along with Seirra's PA.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Guinness is certainly an acquired taste. However, if you try it in a Black and (Tan, Blue, Red, etc., a mixture of half Guinness and half another beer, usually Bass or Smithwick's), it'll cut some of the heaviness of Guinness.

Chico makes mention of Blue Moon. Belgian Whites (for the most part) are quite palatable and are very easy to drink. Shock Top is Budweiser's version of Blue Moon and both are quite similar in taste. From there, check out Hoegaarden.

Beer is an adventure. Don't be afraid to branch out and try something different. Head to a local bar that has either many bottled beers or taps. It's a great cheap way to try different beers without committing to a 6 pack of something you might not like.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
MTK
\m/

Blue Moon is actually good stuff, even if it's made by Coors.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Picked up a 6er of Sierra Nevada Glissade for the Super Bowl. Very good once I poured it into a glass (tried to drink the 1st one out of the bottle like an amateur...no offense to anyone), especially once it sat for a bit. Felt like the flavors melded together better once it sat in the glass. I'd buy it again, and certainly wouldn't mind trying it on tap.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

I found these in a store in Chicago last week end.
Who new Missouri made good microbrew?
The Plowboy is a somewhat light but superior porter. It has a very complex rainbow of tastes with a nice dry finish.

The Headless Man is a sweet but very crisp amber ale that is somewhat highly carbonated but accents the crispness very well. I could drink a shipload of this on a hot summer day.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Picked up a 6er of Sierra Nevada Glissade for the Super Bowl. Very good once I poured it into a glass (tried to drink the 1st one out of the bottle like an amateur...no offense to anyone), especially once it sat for a bit. Felt like the flavors melded together better once it sat in the glass. I'd buy it again, and certainly wouldn't mind trying it on tap.
I have not seen the Glissade before.
I will definitely look for it.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:12 AM   #9
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Picked up a 6 of this and was pleasently surprised. Last couple new Sierras products ive tryed over the last couple years Ive been disappointed with the slight execption of the Autum Wet Hopped which was pretty gud, not great. But this Glissade was very good. As warm weather approachs, this is a good outdoor beer, very light and big initial taste with a very light,suttle finish. Has what I refer to as an eastern European pils bite, which is a nice change to the overly hoppy beers ive been drinking in the last year. welcome surprise from Sierra

He Gets Us
Old 02-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #10
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Having a Famille Rue The Bruery™ TradeWinds Tripel

it's a "Belgian styled ale brewed with rice and thai basil"

the rice, vs using candy sugar is pretty refreshing, makes for a lighter easier-drinking tripel

I'm not used to trying many spiced tripels but I've had some coriander containing ones, I think that I prefer the thai basil honestly, if for nothing more than it's interesting

this would be very interesting to have around in the summer, unfortunately due to it being a seasonal that's likely the next time that I'll be able to enjoy it
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #11
mlmdub130
Playmaker

haven't seen the glissade yet but i'm headin to wegans soon maybe i'll get lucky.

when i was in pittsburgh for the winter classic i found a pretty sweet beer store that had one of these babies World Wide Stout | Dogfish Head Craft Brewed Ales there and had to buy it. i just had it the other night and it was damned good, very full flavor, and a s ton of barley. it didn't come cheap it was about $10 for the single beer, but it is about 18% so it's not a beer you are going to finish in 20 minutes, and i would say worth it espescially anyone who loves dogfish, i love pretty much everything they brew.

i also was in obx last weekend and was able to score some fat tire from New Belgium Brewing - Age Verification. i still am not quite sure why it's not available up here yet, they only started shipping to the east coast a year or two ago. either way i bought two extra 12's so at least i'll have some for the time being.

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #12
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
haven't seen the glissade yet but i'm headin to wegans soon maybe i'll get lucky.

when i was in pittsburgh for the winter classic i found a pretty sweet beer store that had one of these babies World Wide Stout | Dogfish Head Craft Brewed Ales there and had to buy it. i just had it the other night and it was damned good, very full flavor, and a s ton of barley. it didn't come cheap it was about $10 for the single beer, but it is about 18% so it's not a beer you are going to finish in 20 minutes, and i would say worth it espescially anyone who loves dogfish, i love pretty much everything they brew.

i also was in obx last weekend and was able to score some fat tire from New Belgium Brewing - Age Verification. i still am not quite sure why it's not available up here yet, they only started shipping to the east coast a year or two ago. either way i bought two extra 12's so at least i'll have some for the time being.

Hey your link kept freezing up my computer, I think you trying to refer to the New Belgium IPA Ranger? If you are they dont distribute in VA from my understanding. Im not a big New Belgium fan, but their Ranger IPA is pretty good. I visit the OBX quite often and its super abundant down there which is a good thing, fairly tasty with freshy citrus-y hop. Solid beer, I always pick up a sixer of it when im down there.

He Gets Us
Old 02-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #13
MTK
\m/

For anyone into Belgian styles this is a good one

Delirium Tremens - Brouwerij Huyghe - Melle, Belgium - BeerAdvocate

Smooth and drinkable but it will sneak up on you pretty quick if you're not careful.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #14
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
For anyone into Belgian styles this is a good one

Delirium Tremens - Brouwerij Huyghe - Melle, Belgium - BeerAdvocate

Smooth and drinkable but it will sneak up on you pretty quick if you're not careful.
I like the Delirium products, but they are too expensive. I saw a four-pack in the store the other day for $22. Granted, they're 20oz bottles, but still.

I'm loving the Starr Hill Northern Lights IPA. Delicious. It's brewed in VA, too. I like going local as much as possible these days.

Northern Lights - India Pale Ale |*Starr Hill Brewery
Old 02-28-2011, 12:04 PM   #15
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I like the Delirium products, but they are too expensive. I saw a four-pack in the store the other day for $22. Granted, they're 20oz bottles, but still.

I'm loving the Starr Hill Northern Lights IPA. Delicious. It's brewed in VA, too. I like going local as much as possible these days.

Northern Lights - India Pale Ale |*Starr Hill Brewery
I've tried a few of Starr Hill's brews, but I just can't get into them. I just feel like they're always missing something. With each one I've just been left unimpressed.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote