Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Merged: The Movies Thread

Parking Lot

Old 11-03-2020, 08:25 PM   #2161
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Wink Re: Merged: The Movies Thread

Sunny apparently watches around 600 movies a year.

I hope I'm invited to the inaugural SunnySide Film Festival.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-04-2020, 09:46 AM   #2162
SunnySide
Playmaker

Re: Merged: The Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Sunny apparently watches around 600 movies a year.

I hope I'm invited to the inaugural SunnySide Film Festival.
lol i probably do. Certain movies I might watch 5-10 times a year (sin city, good bad ugly, kung fu hustle, black dynamite, tarantinos, scorcese, cohen bros etc)

I have always loved movies and think films and movies are amazing. but I am a huge pot head as well and at the end of the day since I was 16 or so, I turn on my mood lighting, light some candles, smoke some amazing green and get lost in an amazing story. I shut my brain off completely. Its like meditation for me.

plus i dont really watch tv.

Midway (2019) - watched this last night ... it was fucking horrible. The acting was shit, the accents were laughable and while it did try to stick to the actual facts of midway i much more preferred a midway documentary series i watched a few months ago vs this.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:56 AM   #2163
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
lol i probably do. Certain movies I might watch 5-10 times a year (sin city, good bad ugly, kung fu hustle, black dynamite, tarantinos, scorcese, cohen bros etc)

I have always loved movies and think films and movies are amazing. but I am a huge pot head as well and at the end of the day since I was 16 or so, I turn on my mood lighting, light some candles, smoke some amazing green and get lost in an amazing story. I shut my brain off completely. Its like meditation for me.

plus i dont really watch tv.

Midway (2019) - watched this last night ... it was fucking horrible. The acting was shit, the accents were laughable and while it did try to stick to the actual facts of midway i much more preferred a midway documentary series i watched a few months ago vs this.
Oh man. I loved Midway. Maybe I won't get that invite to the film festival lol.

Note - An accurate historical documentary series will most likely always be better than a movie.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 02:52 PM   #2164
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Oh man. I loved Midway. Maybe I won't get that invite to the film festival lol.

Note - An accurate historical documentary series will most likely always be better than a movie.

I agree, unlike the critics, I really liked the latest reboot of the Midway movie (done twice previously). Yeah, Midway had a cast of mostly good British actors who did pretty well with their American accents. One thing I really liked in the movie was providing a much better Japanese perspective than those earlier versions.

It presented the actual history well, which can be a problem with historical movies. A few fudges were there, but only noticeable if you’re a WWII buff or historian. The biggest one was when the several cast members say that “they knew that there were problems with the U. S. Navy torpedoes”. It took over TWO YEARS into the war before the Navy admitted that their primary torpedo (used on ships, submarines and aircraft) was defective but it wasn’t until late 1943 - early 1944 that the THREE main torpedo problems were all actually fixed. BTW, most historians now say that WWII was lengthened by 6 months or MORE due to the defective US Navy torpedo issues. That’s probably why it was mentioned several times in the movie, although no one knew about it in 1942.

Obviously, this movie used CGI to a much higher level than previous WWII movies. This is necessary because the flyable WWII aircraft or WWII carriers just don’t exist anymore. This eliminates the problems of old movies like “Tora, Tora, Tora” which used WWII era American training aircraft to replace the Japanese aircraft. The CGI was decent, and the actors did an ok job at simulating what flying an fighter-bomber aircraft is like. Tough to simulate what pulling 5-6 g’s (Gravitational forces) does to your face and body but they tried.

The best acting job was Dennis Quaid, who played the fierce US Navy admiral “Bull” Halsey. Quaid even made himself look smaller to mimic the short Navy admiral.

Overall, it was the best of the Midway movies and the CGI brought you more “into the cockpit” than anything done before. If you like WWII or flying movies, I’d recommend this movie for you. Well done, even if the critics hated it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 08:46 AM   #2165
Warthog
The Starter

Re: Getting ready for an awesome year of movies

Another movie besides Dune that’s waiting to come out is TOP GUN II. I’ve watched the previews and “the making of” short flick s and I’m super impressed. Not just because I’m a pilot but it’s a damn exciting movie.

This flick has Very little CGI - computer imaging. They put 8 cameras in the cockpit to see the face and everything the pilots are doing there. Tom Cruise and all the pilot actors spent several months flying to get adjusted to the heavy “g” forces and acrobatic maneuvers that is a part of flying an F-18. Most people get sick with acrobatics and g’s in the beginning, but then you get used to it. After awhile you’re not even thinking about it because you’re multi-taking so much.

So this movie is going to be a “love letter for aviation”. The movie will give you the real feeling of flying a very cool aircraft
and the rush you get as you maneuver and fly fast and low to the ground!

BTW, I did fly in the back seat of an F-18A (Kuwait Air Force) and the pilot let me fly it from the back seat for almost the whole flight. Unfortunately it was a shorter flight than we planned because I was pushing the throttles “to the fire wall” (Max power) all the time and pulling the Max g’s (7.33 g’s) . We did a low level over the desert (like you will see in the movie although their low level is over the mountains!), shot the gun and dropped simulated bombs at gunnery range. The Hornet is a BLAST TO FLY, and you will see that in TOP GUN II. It might be one of the first movies to show after the Covid 19 pandemic is open!!

Top Gun II will be more realistic and certainly more awe inspiring than the first movie. Go see it when it comes out!!!

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:16 AM   #2166
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Another movie besides Dune that’s waiting to come out is TOP GUN II. I’ve watched the previews and “the making of” short flick s and I’m super impressed. Not just because I’m a pilot but it’s a damn exciting movie.

This flick has Very little CGI - computer imaging. They put 8 cameras in the cockpit to see the face and everything the pilots are doing there. Tom Cruise and all the pilot actors spent several months flying to get adjusted to the heavy “g” forces and acrobatic maneuvers that is a part of flying an F-18. Most people get sick with acrobatics and g’s in the beginning, but then you get used to it. After awhile you’re not even thinking about it because you’re multi-taking so much.

So this movie is going to be a “love letter for aviation”. The movie will give you the real feeling of flying a very cool aircraft

BTW, I did fly in the back seat of an F-18A (Kuwait Air Force) and the pilot let me fly it from the back seat for almost the whole flight. Unfortunately it was a shorter flight than we planned because I was pushing the throttles “to the fire wall” (Max power) all the time and pulling the Max g’s (7.33 g’s) . We did a low level over the desert (like you will see in the movie although their low level is over the mountains!), shot the gun and dropped simulated bombs at gunnery range. The Hornet is a BLAST TO FLY, and you will see that in TOP GUN II. It might be one of the first movies to show after the Covid 19 pandemic is open!!

Top Gun II will be more realistic and certainly more awe inspiring than the first movie. Go see it when it comes out!!!

Somebody is excited
Old 11-16-2020, 01:15 PM   #2167
SunnySide
Playmaker

Playing with Fire - family movie with John Cena ... ho le chit, that was a bad movie and john cena is a bad actor who should not have been put in the position of playing the "tough guy turns a new page" character as he couldnt pull it off. instead of being no nonsense tough guy, he came off as devoid of personality. Making it impossible to be endeared to him or buy into some kind of metamorphasis.

Keegan micheal-key, who I love from key and peele, was one note as the hired funny guy who failed to bring the funny.

Attempted fun movie, who tried to follow the paint by numbers family fun movie script, failed to be fun.

just fucking brutal.
------------------

Liar Liar vampire - nickolodean family movie ... wasnt that bad, pretty good for what it was but best part was it was only 1 hr 8 minutes. By 9 pm, I had the living room all to myself which never happens on a friday or saturday.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:16 AM   #2168
SunnySide
Playmaker

Just seven years earlier, in 1986, Tarantino was a 23-year-old part-time actor and high-school dropout, broke, without an apartment of his own, showering rarely. With no agent, he sent out scripts that never got past low-level readers. “Too vile, too vulgar, too violent” was the usual reaction, he later said. According to Quentin Tarantino, by Wensley Clarkson, his constant use of the f-word in his script True Romance caused one studio rep to write to Cathryn Jaymes, his early manager:

Dear Fucking Cathryn,

How dare you send me this fucking piece of shit. You must be out of your fucking mind. You want to know how I feel about it? Here’s your fucking piece of shit back. Fuck you.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...n-oral-history

Came across this really cool, really long article last night on the writing of Pulp Fiction. Really good read.

Tarantino is borderline illiterate apparently.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:43 AM   #2169
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Playing with Fire - family movie with John Cena ... ho le chit, that was a bad movie and john cena is a bad actor who should not have been put in the position of playing the "tough guy turns a new page" character as he couldnt pull it off. instead of being no nonsense tough guy, he came off as devoid of personality. Making it impossible to be endeared to him or buy into some kind of metamorphasis.

Keegan micheal-key, who I love from key and peele, was one note as the hired funny guy who failed to bring the funny.

Attempted fun movie, who tried to follow the paint by numbers family fun movie script, failed to be fun.

just fucking brutal.
------------------

Liar Liar vampire - nickolodean family movie ... wasnt that bad, pretty good for what it was but best part was it was only 1 hr 8 minutes. By 9 pm, I had the living room all to myself which never happens on a friday or saturday.

"Playing with Fire", was a kids movie , all the actors were exaggerating their roles .Was never meant for grown ups or Oscar contention. AGAIN a CHILDRENS MOVIE

Last edited by Giantone; 11-18-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:11 AM   #2170
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
"Playing with Fire", was a kids movie , all the actors were execrating their roles .Was never meant for grown ups or Oscar contention. AGAIN a CHILDRENS MOVIE
Did your step daughter appear in this movie or something?

It sucked for a childrens movie. The writing was awful and the acting was bad. I watch more "childrens" movies then adult movies so if I say it was a bad movie, I mean it was bad "childrens" movie and am not comparing it to Oscar contention movies. besides its just my own personal opinion and my movie preferences. What i like or hate, you might feel opposite and thats cool. Different strokes and all that.

you know what ... just for that .. im not going to tell you what I thought of the movie "The Quiz Show" that I watched last night.

So deal with that and have that gnawing at your brain all day. You wont know what this random person on the internet thinks of a mediocre movie made 20 some odd years ago.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:28 AM   #2171
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post

Good to know CGI is stepping back in top gun and I’m def hittin the theater for this one.

Dune is going reset space/science fiction genre. Star Wars unfortunately was completely run into the ground by terrible writing and some of the most overrated acting of all time. Sorry those actors were garbage. Dune is gonna be great, it’s a good story

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:48 PM   #2172
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Did your step daughter appear in this movie or something?

It sucked for a childrens movie. The writing was awful and the acting was bad. I watch more "childrens" movies then adult movies so if I say it was a bad movie, I mean it was bad "childrens" movie and am not comparing it to Oscar contention movies. besides its just my own personal opinion and my movie preferences. What i like or hate, you might feel opposite and thats cool. Different strokes and all that.

you know what ... just for that .. im not going to tell you what I thought of the movie "The Quiz Show" that I watched last night.

So deal with that and have that gnawing at your brain all day. You wont know what this random person on the internet thinks of a mediocre movie made 20 some odd years ago.

First , STFU about any of my kids!

Second, again it's a fucking kids movie and you critique it like it's the fucking Godfather, grow the fuck up.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:52 PM   #2173
mredskins
Gamebreaker

I can't believe there is a internet fight over a children's movie on a football forum between two grown men; wait actually I can, sadly.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:04 AM   #2174
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I can't believe there is a internet fight over a children's movie on a football forum between two grown men; wait actually I can, sadly.
It's 2020...................
Old 11-19-2020, 09:05 AM   #2175
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

As a purveyor of this thread and an unofficial judge and jury of the argument I am going to let Sunny Side's critique stand. According to IMDb Playing with Fire is a family comedy and not a children's movie https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9134216/ therefore needs to have aspects that appeal to all members of the family and not just children. His critique as a parent viewer is valid. Sorry G1 you will have to come up with a better argument.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote