Merged: The Movies Thread

Parking Lot

Old 03-11-2020, 11:03 AM   #2101
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Merged: The Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Saw 1917 last week. Great movie, def. worth the admission price. Uncut Gems def. still on my to-do list.
Its a must watch. I'm really lost on what defines a great movie...Originality and the actual filmmaking piece of movie making seems to have taken a back seat.

I think its unfair to put this all on the Comic book take over but there is also push for brand and franchise in the business. The industry wants to push the easy button. These actors that have sold out to the comic books, they have lost all credibility...they aren't great, these actors never were. Now the Joker I wouldn't put in same book as an FYI, anybody with a brain should be able to draw distinction to what im talking about.

Uncut Gems, 1917, Once Upon a Time (even tho the base story is well known)....this is moving making.

Parasite movie...the story and the acting seemed disingenuous. Overly trying to make a point made many many times in movies over and over again. That's not originality. Poor acting as well.

Adam Sandler...blew it away. Kevin Garnett...awesome. Supporting cast great and the cinematography outstanding.

Hollywood is trash...they don't know their product.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-11-2020, 11:29 AM   #2102
mredskins
Gamebreaker

I got agree i am done with the Comic Book shit, enough already.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:56 AM   #2103
SunnySide
Playmaker

I could never get into the comic book movies or the fast and the furious types or the new star wars, but the way I see it ..... theres movie genres for everyone to enjoy. Everyone has their own unique itch and thankfully, theres a movie that can scratch it for you.

But I do love Guardians of the galaxy v. 1 .. that is a classic movie that i will watch over and over.

Invisible Man - I knew I was going to see a predictable movie with predictable scenes and predictable conflict/resolution arc .... but the reviews said it was a refreshing take and had really good rotten tomato scores ... but I thought it overall feel somewhat flat, not bad ... but not good. It was decent.

7/10 ... save your money and watch it on the couch with your lady.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:57 AM   #2104
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I want to go see that new Tom Hanks movie that comes out in June. Looks awesome.

Gonna watch 1917 as soon as its out on On Demand.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:28 PM   #2105
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I want to go see that new Tom Hanks movie that comes out in June. Looks awesome.

Gonna watch 1917 as soon as its out on On Demand.
Greyhound. Just checked out the trailer.

Looks like saving Private Ryan but in the water w subs. I am all in. War movie, tom hanks, hell yeah. Eat an edible, sit back in a recliner and let the movie theater surround sound and big screen take over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
Old 03-18-2020, 10:54 AM   #2106
SunnySide
Playmaker

"Her", Spike Jonze film (of local Whitman High School fame)

Loved Joaquin Phoenix' acting. His tiniest of facial expressions, his sense of nervousness conveyed through no words ... the guy is brilliant.

Liked the mood, directng, feel, soundtrack, cinematography

Hated the last half of the movie as it develed into repeating this same preachy mantra on what is love, what is feelings, what is real. We as the viewer picked up on the theme right away ... but we never explored deeply, instead it was surface level cliche monologues being repeated over and over.

7/10
Old 03-26-2020, 02:46 PM   #2107
SunnySide
Playmaker

Invention of lying -- it was fine for a mid afternoon watch during a stay at home coronavirus day. lots of a list actors, wow.

loved the premise, loved the beginning part which had a lot of uniqueness to it as you were introduced to the movies world parameters (no one lies, everyone speaks bluntly) ... but by the middle and certainly the last 30 mins or so .. the uniqueness and cute quirkyness had run out and it fizzled hard.

6/10

apologies for me rating movies, makes me feel like an egotistical self-gravulating person .. but I love movies and I probably am those things anyway.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:23 PM   #2108
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
"Her", Spike Jonze film (of local Whitman High School fame)

Loved Joaquin Phoenix' acting. His tiniest of facial expressions, his sense of nervousness conveyed through no words ... the guy is brilliant.

Liked the mood, directng, feel, soundtrack, cinematography

Hated the last half of the movie as it develed into repeating this same preachy mantra on what is love, what is feelings, what is real. We as the viewer picked up on the theme right away ... but we never explored deeply, instead it was surface level cliche monologues being repeated over and over.

7/10
Could not get into this movie .
Old 03-26-2020, 06:27 PM   #2109
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Invention of lying -- it was fine for a mid afternoon watch during a stay at home coronavirus day. lots of a list actors, wow.

loved the premise, loved the beginning part which had a lot of uniqueness to it as you were introduced to the movies world parameters (no one lies, everyone speaks bluntly) ... but by the middle and certainly the last 30 mins or so .. the uniqueness and cute quirkyness had run out and it fizzled hard.

6/10

apologies for me rating movies, makes me feel like an egotistical self-gravulating person .. but I love movies and I probably am those things anyway.
Haven't seen this but did watch Mark Wahlberg's "Spencer", a take off on the old TV show with Robert Urich, of the Robert B. Parker Books . To me an entertaining movie but not very close to the TV show ....yes Hawk is there.

Have you seen the Irishman, it's long and slow at times but I liked it
Old 03-26-2020, 06:45 PM   #2110
MTK
\m/

Re: Getting ready for an awesome year of movies

I rewatched Contagion the other day. I remember it was one of those movies that stuck with me a few days after seeing it. Never imagined we’d be facing this type of situation for real

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2020, 07:31 AM   #2111
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Re: Getting ready for an awesome year of movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I rewatched Contagion the other day. I remember it was one of those movies that stuck with me a few days after seeing it. Never imagined we’d be facing this type of situation for real

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I watched Outbreak, its on Netflix for the bored.

The unsung hero or real MVP in that movie is Cuba. Tell me I am wrong...
Old 03-27-2020, 10:43 AM   #2112
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Not a movie but Tiger King is amazing
Old 03-27-2020, 11:00 AM   #2113
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Not a movie but Tiger King is amazing
If you liked that watch this:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1111313/
Old 03-28-2020, 03:49 PM   #2114
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Got my Firestick back today, gonna watch like 5 movies. Just watched Brazen with Jason Mamoa. Not great. But a perfectly good kill some time movie.

Bruce Willis is the king or straight to On Demand, Neflix, Amazon movies. He's in tons of them. Starting Reprisal now.

The nightcap will be 1917. Excited for that one.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #2115
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Just finished the Doc by Ron Howard on the Beatles Eight Days a Week pretty good ,deals with their live performances .