C 2 2.94%
D 0 0%
F 1 1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2019, 01:10 PM   #196
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Re: Ron Rivera Thread

Gave this a B right now I would move it up to an A if they get a GM that is not oil to Rivera’s water
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-31-2019, 01:16 PM   #197
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Gave this a B right now I would move it up to an A if they get a GM that is not oil to Rivera’s water

They’re not going to hire a GM until AFTER the draft. That way he can evaluate the scouting department and Kyle Smith. He will be the determiner for the GM, so that means they will definitely will work well together. Kyle Smith either does very well in the draft and meshes with Rivera or Rivera will choose a GM from outside the franchise. Either way we’re going to get a very good GM, versus Bruce Allen’s buffoonery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:24 PM   #198
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Coaching choosing the GM? Does that happen on other teams? I always thought the GM would make personnel decisions.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:06 PM   #199
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

I think this is a terrible move in the fact that the new GM should be the one to hire the coach. Now you are starting off on a bad foot with a new GM coming in that might not want Ron or the draft picks that are going to be picked this year. You've essentially tied a GM to Ron for 5 years. Dumbfounded by that strategy.

Terrible terrible owner we have. This moron still doesn't get it and never will.

I have no issues with Ron, just that the GM should be making that decision. This is not going to end well either.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:09 PM   #200
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Coaching choosing the GM? Does that happen on other teams? I always thought the GM would make personnel decisions.
Not always, I would say the GM/president of football ops reports to the owner and the HC reports to the GM.

I can't find the tweet but someone mentioned the traditional structure is that Team President runs football and business ops, president of football ops runs the GM/roster building, GM is usually in charge of/part of the roster-building ops.

There's still a lot of unanswered questions about how this power structure works but the key thing for me is making sure that Ron + whoever (whether Kyle Smith gets a promotion from college scouting) or we bring in someone as GM, or Team President, or President of Football Ops, they all have to be on the same page about how to build the team. We can't have any more situations where Dan or the next Bruce Allen sends word down that he wants this player that doesn't mesh with what the coaching staff wants.

My other thing is I hate to say it but I think Doug Williams needs to go. The interview where he talked about how scheme fit wasn't a factor in signing Landon Collins really turned me off to the idea that he knows what he's doing. If you're going to pay a man 84 million dollars why the hell wouldn't you want to make sure his strengths align with yours?
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:13 PM   #201
MTK
\m/

The next GM is probably already in house (Smith). Rivera isn't coming in here blind.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:22 PM   #202
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
The next GM is probably already in house (Smith). Rivera isn't coming in here blind.
That's the optimistic assumption. I think it's too late in the scouting season to switch up FO personnel anyways (other than Doug Williams as Senior VP of player personnel, but not sure Dan would do that for sentimental reasons) because if Ron wants new FO guys, and new scouts, that would put a lot of pressure on the new guys to be ready for FA/the draft.

It's a big bump from Director of College Scouting to coordinating college and pro evaluations, if it is Kyle Smith I hope he's ready.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:25 PM   #203
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
That's the optimistic assumption. I think it's too late in the scouting season to switch up FO personnel anyways (other than Doug Williams as Senior VP of player personnel, but not sure Dan would do that for sentimental reasons) because if Ron wants new FO guys, and new scouts, that would put a lot of pressure on the new guys to be ready for FA/the draft.

It's a big bump from Director of College Scouting to coordinating college and pro evaluations, if it is Kyle Smith I hope he's ready.
I’m sure his old man has trained him well.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:56 PM   #204
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
You have more faith than I do. This is the same idiot that hired coordinators before hiring a HC.

I hope I'm wrong.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 12-31-2019, 04:04 PM   #205
rocnrik
Playmaker

This is great hire!!! Best possible coach that we could have period !! Superbowl winning coach that is young and willing to come here ... we got lucky!! By the time this team could hire a GM Ron would have been long gone.. and pray tell what Real top of heap GM would come here and work under Dan?? All I have been reading on here is that NO good coach would come here.. so why would a GM be any different?? GREAT MOVE Redskins!!
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:15 PM   #206
rocnrik
Playmaker

Things are looking up!!
Old 12-31-2019, 05:43 PM   #207
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
Superbowl winning coach that is young and willing to come here ... we got lucky!!

He's never won a SB as a HC. He did win coach of the year twice and won a SB as a player though.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:59 PM   #208
OmahaRedskins
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
You have more faith than I do. This is the same idiot that hired coordinators before hiring a HC.

I hope I'm wrong.
I think that was Vinnies brain child.
OmahaRedskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:06 PM   #209
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post

I hope I'm wrong.

I trust Rivera, hopefully he’s allowed to do his job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2019, 07:50 PM   #210
rocnrik
Playmaker

Sorry about that .. I meant to say coach that went to super bowl.. I believe it was the best move Snyder could have made..