Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Skins getting heat again over name issue

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Thoughts on the pending Redskins name change?
It’s time, the name is offensive 4 9.52%
I’m tired of hearing about it so change it 17 40.48%
Keep the name at all costs 16 38.10%
No strong opinion either way 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2020, 02:58 PM   #196
coggs
Special Teams

Re: Skins getting heat again over name issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
For once I agree with you, but even if only 10-20% of Native Americans are offended, they still exist. Don't act like every Native American is cool with it even if the majority are.

The reality though is this discussion is happening because $620 billion worth of corporate money told 3 major Redskins sponsors to do something about it. If they walk, everyone else won't be far behind. And Dan can't have his new stadium in DC if the name isn't changed. I got $20 that says the name gets changed and DC probably gives the RFK land to the Redskins at a deep discount or for free in exchange for less tax dollars going to the stadium.
There is no way to know the percentage of Native Americans that are offended by it. Do enough research and you find polls that say 80% polled were offended, and polls that will say only 5% said they are offended. How many are offended is irrelevant. Whether it is simply white people offended is irrelevant. Obviously, enough are offended for FedEx and Nike to take a stand and the bottom line is the Redskins and the NFL are a business first and foremost. Just like any other business, if they are doing something that some deem offensive and the company feels it is hurting their bottom-line, they are going to make a change.

As far as "Warriors" actually saw someone suggest it on twitter. Of course, there was a comment from someone saying they did not like "warriors" either because that name is associated with violence. Then added teams like the Raiders, Warriors, Vikings, Buccaneers, Pirates, etc should have to change their names to disassociate from the violent image. I looked at his page and based on what he has posted, he was not being sarcastic or tongue-in-cheek.

Advertisements
Old 07-03-2020, 02:59 PM   #197
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Agreed. Name changing, removing historical references like statues/streets is easy, actually doing something of substance that would help them will most likely never be done, even if Biden becomes president. Once all references to them are gone, we can all pretend like we did something nice for them though.
Exactly! Once the whitewashing is complete, then what?
Old 07-03-2020, 03:03 PM   #198
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by coggs View Post
There is no way to know the percentage of Native Americans that are offended by it. Do enough research and you find polls that say 80% polled were offended, and polls that will say only 5% said they are offended. How many are offended is irrelevant. Whether it is simply white people offended is irrelevant. Obviously, enough are offended for FedEx and Nike to take a stand and the bottom line is the Redskins and the NFL are a business first and foremost. Just like any other business, if they are doing something that some deem offensive and the company feels it is hurting their bottom-line, they are going to make a change.

As far as "Warriors" actually saw someone suggest it on twitter. Of course, there was a comment from someone saying they did not like "warriors" either because that name is associated with violence. Then added teams like the Raiders, Warriors, Vikings, Buccaneers, Pirates, etc should have to change their names to disassociate from the violent image. I looked at his page and based on what he has posted, he was not being sarcastic or tongue-in-cheek.
It’s only a matter of time before tall people make New York change their name.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:26 PM   #199
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervis_Griffith View Post
What are some choices for new names?

I see RedTails in this thread. That sounds ok.

I've heard Warriors on NFL channel on Sirius/XM. I don't know.

Have there been others?

Gotta keep the color scheme. Hopefully the NFL and Dan are smart enough to leave that alone.

The only thing I can think of is silly, but PigSkins comes to mind. We already have fans wearing pig snouts. And have the Hogs. A Pigskin is a football. Can you keep the fight song with this? HTTP?? The internet already has this abbreviation, doesn't it? Ugh .... I don't know.

It's obvious though that this will probably be the last season for HTTR and all things associated with it.

This reminds me of when Ole Miss was changing their mascot in 2010 from Colonel Reb, to a black bear. But there was a student group trying hard to get the school to adopt Admiral Ackbar from Star Wars as their mascot. Famously, he said "It's a trap!!!" in one of the movies in that trilogy (Return of the Jedi?). https://collider.com/espn-star-wars-...kbar-ole-miss/

Anyway ... there's a chance to have the fans lead this name change. Why not someone from this board?
I called the Pigskins name several years ago. Wonder if I’ll get an royalties?
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:41 PM   #200
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
For once I agree with you, but even if only 10-20% of Native Americans are offended, they still exist. Don't act like every Native American is cool with it even if the majority are.

The reality though is this discussion is happening because $620 billion worth of corporate money told 3 major Redskins sponsors to do something about it. If they walk, everyone else won't be far behind. And Dan can't have his new stadium in DC if the name isn't changed. I got $20 that says the name gets changed and DC probably gives the RFK land to the Redskins at a deep discount or for free in exchange for less tax dollars going to the stadium.
Ehhh it’s not 1 in 5, it’s never been. And someone will always be offended by something...that’s also known.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:49 PM   #201
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Ehhh it’s not 1 in 5, it’s never been. And someone will always be offended by something...that’s also known.
I disagree with Coggs on a few things, but I agree with him it's very hard to come with a definite number on the percentage of Native Americans that are truly offended by the name.

I'm over it. Change the name and let's get on with our lives. Hopefully Rivera brings the winning culture along and we can forget about the last 20 years of shit.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:50 PM   #202
httr198020
Special Teams

If Snyder is a real man. He should refuse to change the name. Tell Nike and FedEx to kiss his ass.
httr198020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:25 PM   #203
kct1975
The Starter

If you believe Stephen A Smith...it looks like the name change is happening sooner than later...

A source tells Stephen A. the Redskins will chang

https://youtu.be/t3RqXmAb91E

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2020, 04:31 PM   #204
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Don’t give in to the mob...
Love the Redskins but it's the right thing to do. Would anyone here like a team called Blackskins or Brownskins? Even whiteskins.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2020, 05:14 PM   #205
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Love the Redskins but it's the right thing to do. Would anyone here like a team called Blackskins or Brownskins? Even whiteskins.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Blackskins or Brownskins are not terms that have any other historical use or reference. And I would not give a fuck if they named a team Whiteskins, Crackers, White Trash, Hicks, Hillbillies, Honkys, Peckerwoods, Trailer Trash, etc.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:24 PM   #206
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Blackskins or Brownskins are not terms that have any other historical use or reference. And I would not give a fuck if they named a team Whiteskins, Crackers, White Trash, Hicks, Hillbillies, Honkys, Peckerwoods, Trailer Trash, etc.
Washington Mollywhoppers

Our team slogan can be "tomorrow we're gonna pecker slap those Cowboy sons of bitches"

Old 07-03-2020, 05:34 PM   #207
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Washington Mollywhoppers

Our team slogan can be "tomorrow we're gonna pecker slap those Cowboy sons of bitches"
I like it. Mollywhoppers is original. Way better than the Warriors.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:50 PM   #208
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico23231 View Post
folks we need to admit, this isn’t about offending indians...it’s about offending white progressive people who find it their job to tell others you should be offended. Let’s start being 100% about this for once.
.......bs.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:56 PM   #209
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:

It has nothing to do with White Liberal anything .The things that have been going on have been building for a while now ,personally I don't think the Skins name is Offensive but it is what it is the times being what they are. I say revert back to the Senators ,you can keep the S and people will still refer to the team as Washington and or the Skins any way and the fans and Snyder will get what they want which is a new Stadium in DC itself on the old RFK site.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:01 PM   #210
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Skins getting heat again over name issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number44 View Post
Yes, there is. "Chief" is a term that is actually used in a derogatory way by racists. "Redskin," not so much. I am 66 years old and have never heard anyone use the term 'redskin" as a racial slur. Not once. Chief? Yes, I've heard that used as a racial slur.

Really chief? Lol. Again just because you have never heard redskin used as a derogatory name doesn’t mean it wasn’t. And how in the hell is chief used in a derogatory way? I mean come on man. Redskin is cool chief is racist? U could be 166 and i would call bullshit on that.
Only you could make this political. Lol. If Trump tweeted change the name tomorrow morning you would be farting epiphanies.

Last edited by punch it in; 07-03-2020 at 07:17 PM.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote