Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Start John Beck Madness Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #196
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Start John Beck Madness Thread

Beck has accomplished absolutely nothing...NOTHING... to make one believe we'd be undefeated with him at QB these past four weeks. I mean fine, whatever, I suppose you can believe it but I'd be just as "right" in saying we'd be 0-4 with him at QB

Advertisements
Old 10-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #197
MTK
\m/

Shanahan never shies away from making unpopular decisions or going against conventional thinking. If he thought Beck was the guy, he'd be in there already.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #198
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeesson View Post
I also have to say, whenever I hear that we shouldn't change QB "because we are 3-1" I cringe a little bit. This is the most ridiculous reasoning process in the world. It's a little like saying you shouldn't replace your spare tire because it is still getting you back and forth to work everyday. I am NOT saying that we should replace Rex, but what I am saying is that us being 3-1 is not a good reason to not replace Rex. No other position in football is afforded this luxury. It reminds me of Don Burgundy, whenever you started talking about how much he sucked, someone else would start talking about all the games he's won. If Jammal Brown had given up 7 sacks yesterday, we would be calling for his head regardless of what our record was. Whether you keep your job should be based on how you are playing, not what our record is. For me, the most basic fundamental of football is consistency. Rex doesn't have it. He is also relatively lazy IMHO.
While my spare tire may need replacing, it makes no sense to replace it (while in fact it is STILL holding up) with a tire that may be worse and has demonstrated some cause for concern in that area. I have nothing against either QB. Loved Beck first game....some cause for concern after. I think if our current "spare" completely blows out....you'll get our replacement....but until...3-1 is...fun (I like that)
AND Welcome to the WP
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #199
MTK
\m/

Shame that we're 3-1 sitting here banging our heads against the wall over the starting QB... as usual.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #200
Hog1

I am reminded once again why the bye week is so...tedious
Old 10-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #201
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Shame that we're 3-1 sitting here banging our heads against the wall over the starting QB... as usual.
Seriously.

Has anybody thought about what happens if Beck is not the answer? I look at Grossman like this:

He makes some good plays (such as Moss' touchdown on 4th down against Arizona), and he makes some bad plays (such as boneheaded interceptions).

Now I look at Beck like this:

He's sat on the bench except for his whole horrible career in Miami. Could he provide better play? Possibly. Could he be just as bad, if not worse? Possibly.

Back to my starting point. If Beck is actually worse than Grossman, then what? Do we put Grossman back in? And then bench him again when he sucks? Do we flip flop all season between two qb's best suited to be backups? If Beck was tearing it up in practice and Grossman kept looking like shit, I don't think Shanahan would hesitate to replace Grossman. But so far Grossman has provided us with good and bad highlights, and he's also 3-1 as a starter.

The time to replace Grossman is when his negatives clearly outweigh his positives. Sorry guys but we're not there yet. And does it matter anyways? Both are over 30, neither are the long term solution, and our starting qb next season is probably playing in the NCAA right now.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #202
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Can't have QB ratings around 50 for 2 straight weeks. I hate that Rex Grossman is our starting QB, but at 3-1 you kind of have to stand pat.

Given the praise that Beck has gotten from the Shannys, I don't imagine that Rex can have too many more games like that and keep his job. Problem is, what if you bench him and Beck comes in and stinks up the place? Season goes totally down the toilet at that point.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #203
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post

The time to replace Grossman is when his negatives clearly outweigh his positives.
Sorry guys but we're not there yet. And does it matter anyways? Both are over 30, neither are the long term solution, and our starting qb next season is probably playing in the NCAA right now.
He turns it over way too much. 14 turnovers in his last 7 starts. That's bad. Really bad.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #204
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

One interception yesterday and one against Arizona were not his fault...but yes he does turn it over
Old 10-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #205
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
He turns it over way too much. 14 turnovers in his last 7 starts. That's bad. Really bad.
Yeah but that's one side of the equation. Grossman has also made plays that have contributed to the games we've won. How do we know Beck is capable of making those plays? All Beck has so far in his career is negative plays, and he didn't exactly booster Shanny's confidence in him by tearing it up during the preseason either.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #206
Hog1

The prospect of....musical QB rotation is...not awesome. Stand pat...for now.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #207
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Yeah but that's one side of the equation. Grossman has also made plays that have contributed to the games we've won. How do we know Beck is capable of making those plays? All Beck has so far in his career is negative plays, and he didn't exactly booster Shanny's confidence in him by tearing it up during the preseason either.
I guess what I'm saying is I'm not an advocate for either QB. Since we have to have one of them under center, I still lean towards Rex... for now.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #208
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I guess what I'm saying is I'm not an advocate for either QB. Since we have to have one of them under center, I still lean towards Rex... for now.
I'm not either. I'm an advocate for Shanny finding his own elite young playcaller in the draft in the offseason. When Grossman starts screwing up left and right and can't drive the team down the field or score touchdowns, that's when I'll advocate pulling him. But it's not like we have a known quantity at backup, so we might just be wasting this good start to the season if we do that.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #209
44ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Right now I'd rather see KS change some of the plays he calls than see a QB change.
I really don't care either way 53. In fact I think they should stick with Grossman all the way thru the season since he was made the starter but I would also would not be surprised or upset if the change was made.

I am actually interested to see how Beck would play to be honest. It's not like Grossman will be taking us all the way. He's already shown that he is very limited and inconsistent.

If anything, he will break our hearts post season at best.
44ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #210
That Guy
Living Legend

again, he's an average QB, and beck would probably be worse.

we didn't get hasslebeck, so we've got to wait until the draft/FA to fix it, but we knew that going in, so i don't know why some people are soo surprised or panicking now.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote