Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

A New Look Offense or the Same but Better?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #196
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Re: A New Look Offense or the Same but Better?

I'm expecting the defense and the offense both to be much better than last season. The Redskins defense finished 13th overall last season but was ranked as high as 10th in the NFL by week 15. So I expect the defense to have at least a top ten ranking. The offense finished 16th in the NFL. With the additions of RG3, Pierre Garcon, Josh Morgan, the Redskins offense should also be ranked within the top ten in the league. If it can result in more points for the Redskins and less points for the opposition every game, then the Redskins might be a playoff team.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #197
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
I'm expecting the defense and the offense both to be much better than last season. The Redskins defense finished 13th overall last season but was ranked as high as 10th in the NFL by week 15. So I expect the defense to have at least a top ten ranking. The offense finished 16th in the NFL. With the additions of RG3, Pierre Garcon, Josh Morgan, the Redskins offense should also be ranked within the top ten in the league. If it can result in more points for the Redskins and less points for the opposition every game, then the Redskins might be a playoff team.
So if we score more than our opponents we should win right?.....

Lol jk I agree bro looking forward to having a fun offense for once
Old 08-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #198
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post

It would be really nice to be able to move the ball and score at will like that explosive 1999 Redskins offense. Something tells me that this 2012 Redskin offense might be able to measure up to what that 1999 offense did.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #199
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
It would be really nice to be able to move the ball and score at will like that explosive 1999 Redskins offense. Something tells me that this 2012 Redskin offense might be able to measure up to what that 1999 offense did.

Man that'd be nice.. What a fun year that was, Brad tossing it around and Stephen Davis owning it! HAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #200
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post

I don't know why but people often post without regard to the OP or the thread objective.
Even though they know a general comment could easily derail a thread with such a small and specific focus as this one.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #201
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Griffin III throws to Garcon in the end zone. Touchdown Washington Redskins!!!!!
Old 08-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #202
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Thinking about how many times Rex missed a throw downfield, or simply didnt see the open guy and KS and MS were on the sidelines shaking their heads - meaning i think the offense doesnt change too much but we now have a QB that will make it work.

So my answer is...............

the core offense/formations and playcalling balance will remain unchanged and Griffin's own ability will raise the level of execution and add more playmaking ability?
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #203
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
I don't know why but people often post without regard to the OP or the thread objective.
Even though they know a general comment could easily derail a thread with such a small and specific focus as this one.
I knew as soon as I read this post that you had started this thread. And no offense bro, but I'd say this thread has served its' purpose. You incited a meaningful discussion and got people thinking about your topic. Now let it run its' course. Besides, the crowd will decide what direction this thread will go in. In fact, if you had just ignored his comment (which imo had hardly the effect you might think it had) nobody probably would've noticed, and now all you've done is brought unwarranted attention to the situation.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #204
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I knew as soon as I read this post that you had started this thread. And no offense bro, but I'd say this thread has served its' purpose. You incited a meaningful discussion and got people thinking about your topic. Now let it run its' course. Besides, the crowd will decide what direction this thread will go in. In fact, if you had just ignored his comment (which imo had hardly the effect you might think it had) nobody probably would've noticed, and now all you've done is brought unwarranted attention to the situation.
Some people actually like discussing football X's and O's and football philosophy or concept.
This thread has been a chronicle of the changes to the offense throughout the offseason dealing specifically with option concepts.
So of course its not gonna be everyone cup o tea and I get that.
If you feel its run its course, that's fine too.
And, I did ignore his post.
I made a general comment about this thread to another poster who actually did respond.

-httr

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post

the core offense/formations and playcalling balance will remain unchanged and Griffin's own ability will raise the level of execution and add more playmaking ability?
That was my original thought also.
But as the offseason progressed and more information about the offense leaked out and the offense became more visible to the media/public.
It seems that at the very least there will be some pistol formation, some zone-read, and some designed QB runs.

So it looks like there will be some change I guess a combination of these two options from the OP:

o the core offense/formations will remain unchanged but the playcalling balance will return and the offense will look more like Houston and the traditional Mike S. Denver WCO with a heavy focus on stretch running and boot-action passing?

o the offense formations will change and our offense will adopt and feature some of Baylor's formations and concepts, like they way the Panthers added some of Auburns formations, plays and concepts?

...but either way I can't wait to see it

Last edited by 30gut; 08-06-2012 at 11:44 PM.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:28 AM   #205
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Some people actually like discussing football X's and O's and football philosophy or concept.
This thread has been a chronicle of the changes to the offense throughout the offseason dealing specifically with option concepts.
So of course its not gonna be everyone cup o tea and I get that.
If you feel its run its course, that's fine too.
And, I did ignore his post.
I made a general comment about this thread to another poster who actually did respond.

-httr

That was my original thought also.
But as the offseason progressed and more information about the offense leaked out and the offense became more visible to the media/public.
It seems that at the very least there will be some pistol formation, some zone-read, and some designed QB runs.

So it looks like there will be some change I guess a combination of these two options from the OP:

o the core offense/formations will remain unchanged but the playcalling balance will return and the offense will look more like Houston and the traditional Mike S. Denver WCO with a heavy focus on stretch running and boot-action passing?

o the offense formations will change and our offense will adopt and feature some of Baylor's formations and concepts, like they way the Panthers added some of Auburns formations, plays and concepts?

...but either way I can't wait to see it
I can't wait until Thursday to see a little pistol with some zone read options. I can't remember when I've been so stoked just to see schematic changes.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:02 AM   #206
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Thinking about how many times Rex missed a throw downfield, or simply didnt see the open guy and KS and MS were on the sidelines shaking their heads - meaning i think the offense doesnt change too much but we now have a QB that will make it work.

Factor in the running game. In order to take pressure from off Griffin, the Redskins have to be able to run the football. Factor in also that the Shanahans like to use play action passes off the run. If RG3 gets 1 0n 1 coverage anywhere on the field, the offense will be able to move the ball all the way to the end zone by running the football and using play action.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:45 AM   #207
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Factor in the running game. In order to take pressure from off Griffin, the Redskins have to be able to run the football. Factor in also that the Shanahans like to use play action passes off the run. If RG3 gets 1 0n 1 coverage anywhere on the field, the offense will be able to move the ball all the way to the end zone by running the football and using play action.
Yes. Last year with Rex though alot of that play action was spoiled with inaccuracy, a weak arm, and poor receiver play. I cant wait to see this offense take flight - might not be at a cruising altitude until next year when they sure up the line, but that line might , juts might surprise us this year -
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #208
Mechanix544
The Starter

Quote:
Yes. Last year with Rex though alot of that play action was spoiled with inaccuracy, a weak arm, and poor receiver play. I cant wait to see this offense take flight - might not be at a cruising altitude until next year when they sure up the line, but that line might , juts might surprise us this year -
Sexy Rexy and weak arm in the same sentence???

BLASPHEMY.
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #209
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Actually Rex has a strong throwing arm. He can really air it out downfield, but...his deep balls usually land in the other team's arms. He just fires and hopes he hits his target. Sometimes I think he closes his eyes when launching a deep ball.

If you just want a 70-yard pass, Rex is your guy. If you want a completion...depends on which Rex shows up that day. We don't get to see Good Rex as much as Bad Rex.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #210
mbedner3420
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Actually Rex has a strong throwing arm. He can really air it out downfield, but...his deep balls usually land in the other team's arms. He just fires and hopes he hits his target. Sometimes I think he closes his eyes when launching a deep ball.

If you just want a 70-yard pass, Rex is your guy. If you want a completion...depends on which Rex shows up that day. We don't get to see Good Rex as much as Bad Rex.
What? Rex has an average arm really. He was constantly underthrowing receivers. Plus, people always said that Beck had the stronger arm in camp, yet everyone still preferred Grossman.

Just because he's constantly going long doesn't mean he's got a great, rocket arm.
mbedner3420 is offline   Reply With Quote