Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Our New Head Coach - Dan Quinn

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Your initial reaction to the Dan Quinn hire?
Love it 5 9.62%
Need to see who the coordinators are 27 51.92%
Hate it 9 17.31%
Indifferent 11 21.15%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2024, 07:00 PM   #196
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Our New Head Coach - Dan Quinn

https://youtu.be/XTQ_1pRUeEc?si=WbML-CERJP-sKBWS

Good listen - ex-Seahawks LBer KJ Wright on Dan Quinn.

I like some of his suggestions like Quinn should still be the defensive playcaller. All the hot new HC's mostly still do the things that got them the job in the first place, like Kyle S, Matt Lafleur, Sean McVay, etc.

Advertisements
Old 02-02-2024, 07:20 PM   #197
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I just gotta say, Adam S is the GOAT. How the f*** does he get every single breaking news story that is real, and barely any bs ones.

We should change our currency logo to In Adam S We Trust
Let's not get crazy now lol.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 07:53 PM   #198
rocnrik
Playmaker

Might as well get used to half the fans like the hire and other half don't ..every loss next year will be I told you so .. wins the same!!

My biggest question is WHY were we so enamored with Johnson to begin with ?? Yea he seemed like a young bright Offensive guy but with NO head coach experience how was that ever gonna work without huge risks.. I'm beginning to believe that We in fact were not sold on him 100% and it was all media driven!
If we were so set on him why was the other candidates all Defense guys ? Why didn't we have a backup plan for Another offense candidate? Glenn was D,Weaver was D .. other than Johnson was there another Offense guy we were interested in .. Let's see Johnson was O , McDonald,Glenn,Weaver,Quinn all D that doesn't sound like we were all in on an Offense coach to me ! Read into it what you want but it could be a clue or omen that we are not gonna go QB at the number Two spot... IF we don't are all you guys that are saying we gotta trust the new regime still gonna be good with that ? This should be interesting indeed..
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 08:12 PM   #199
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Oh yes. The, "why are they hiring people they are familiar with" argument.
Yup you know it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2024, 08:34 PM   #200
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
Might as well get used to half the fans like the hire and other half don't ..every loss next year will be I told you so .. wins the same!!

My biggest question is WHY were we so enamored with Johnson to begin with ?? Yea he seemed like a young bright Offensive guy but with NO head coach experience how was that ever gonna work without huge risks.. I'm beginning to believe that We in fact were not sold on him 100% and it was all media driven!
If we were so set on him why was the other candidates all Defense guys ? Why didn't we have a backup plan for Another offense candidate? Glenn was D,Weaver was D .. other than Johnson was there another Offense guy we were interested in .. Let's see Johnson was O , McDonald,Glenn,Weaver,Quinn all D that doesn't sound like we were all in on an Offense coach to me ! Read into it what you want but it could be a clue or omen that we are not gonna go QB at the number Two spot... IF we don't are all you guys that are saying we gotta trust the new regime still gonna be good with that ? This should be interesting indeed..
They said from the beginning that they weren't looking for an offensive or defensive coach. They were looking for the best leader.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 09:08 PM   #201
rocnrik
Playmaker

Chief .. what part of Johnson did they think was a leader ? He had no experience at all with anything other than calling plays . If they wanted the best leader he would have been last on the list .. #1 Harbaugh , #2 BB ,#3 Vrabel,Quinn (tie) those are the proven leaders ! At this point I am on board with Quinn because he is the closest to my choice Vrabel .. who evidently wants too much control but good for him if I was gonna be blamed /fired for team I would want the say also . I know people beat up on BB but he is greatest modern coach ever regardless and is currently unemployed.. My favorite head coaches are Mike Tomlin, Andy Reid,Pete Carrol, Sean Payton,Bill B,Mike Vrabel ,both Harbaugh .. the second tier is Antonio Pierce,Kyle Shanny,Dan Campbell, hopefully Quinn will prove to be the leader we need !!
Old 02-02-2024, 09:52 PM   #202
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
They said from the beginning that they weren't looking for an offensive or defensive coach. They were looking for the best leader.
Chief, i love ya.

3rd option

I’m dealing with it, but OC better be on point

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 10:14 PM   #203
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I don't get why people don't understand the concept of due diligence and playing by the NFL rules.

Due diligence - Arranging interviews with the "hot" names (including Slowik, Johnson, Macdonald etc). Arranging interviews with "retreads" that may have leadership qualities that stand out (Quinn, possibly Belichek)

Playing by NFL rules - no in person interviews until after the divisional playoff game

Between those 2 things, Washington did end up picking a known leader, albeit a former cowboys coach

No, we didn't win the off-season hiring cycle, but how has winning the off-season worked in the past.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 10:47 PM   #204
rocnrik
Playmaker

Was trying to edit my post and ended up inadvertently double posting .. sorry I'm not sure how to delete .. it seems you can only edit.

Last edited by rocnrik; 02-03-2024 at 12:30 AM.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:57 PM   #205
jamf
Pro Bowl

Charley Casserly chimed in on the hire, successful drafting, and what went wrong for Quinn in ATL.
Talked me off the ledge a bit.

https://youtu.be/FILHs-qi5nQ?si=XJGZ4xvyDOqiWfNX
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 11:31 PM   #206
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Just don't bring in Chip Kelly. Stay at UCLA dude.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 11:36 PM   #207
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I don't get why people don't understand the concept of due diligence and playing by the NFL rules.

Due diligence - Arranging interviews with the "hot" names (including Slowik, Johnson, Macdonald etc). Arranging interviews with "retreads" that may have leadership qualities that stand out (Quinn, possibly Belichek)

Playing by NFL rules - no in person interviews until after the divisional playoff game

Between those 2 things, Washington did end up picking a known leader, albeit a former cowboys coach

No, we didn't win the off-season hiring cycle, but how has winning the off-season worked in the past.
Cre, again much love, but I think this job with all the brash high class advisors combined with landing the top GM talent was a win…these expectations after this screamed a better option than Quinn. We are getting a retred with his record says he better have a solid OC in order for him to succeed.

While I understand all the we are moving on from a Snyder lead org and we should be excited…I can still understand the pessimism of not being able to land that HC. The bigger decision still could be who is no 2 in the draft, but I still believe in scheme over talent.

We need to nail that OC as much as the no 2 pick.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 10:23 AM   #208
rocnrik
Playmaker

Chico .. do you think Kelly would be that solid OC hire?
Old 02-03-2024, 11:05 AM   #209
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
Chief .. what part of Johnson did they think was a leader ? He had no experience at all with anything other than calling plays . If they wanted the best leader he would have been last on the list .. #1 Harbaugh , #2 BB ,#3 Vrabel,Quinn (tie) those are the proven leaders ! At this point I am on board with Quinn because he is the closest to my choice Vrabel .. who evidently wants too much control but good for him if I was gonna be blamed /fired for team I would want the say also . I know people beat up on BB but he is greatest modern coach ever regardless and is currently unemployed.. My favorite head coaches are Mike Tomlin, Andy Reid,Pete Carrol, Sean Payton,Bill B,Mike Vrabel ,both Harbaugh .. the second tier is Antonio Pierce,Kyle Shanny,Dan Campbell, hopefully Quinn will prove to be the leader we need !!
I can't tell you if they even thought Johnson was a leader. I don't know what they knew, and neither does anyone else on here. I'm pretty sure that was the point of the interviews though, and why they didn't go into them with offensive or defensive goggles on - so they could determine who would be the best leader for the team. My guess is early on, Johnson didn't shine in that aspect, he knew it, and he bailed.
Old 02-03-2024, 11:09 AM   #210
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Chief, i love ya.

3rd option

I’m dealing with it, but OC better be on point
You are assuming they had these candidates ranked going in. My point is, I don't think they did. He was identified as an option from the beginning, and now he's the HC. Seems like their process worked.

After a couple interviews, did they want Macdonald over Quinn? Maybe, but I'm not sure we'll ever know that. Could be the other way around, and that's why Macdonald went to Seattle.

It's a done deal now though. The defense is most certainly going to be better. So like others have indicated, it's all about who the OC is now.