Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #196
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Re: Around the NFL...Offseason Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I agree with JR, the best team is the one that wins it all. On paper, who had the most talent last year between the Mavs and the Heat? And did they play one NBA Final game, or 6? 1 game, 3 game series, 5 game series, 7 game series, you're talking what if's here. The reality is they had 60 minutes, 4 quarters, 2 halves to take the lead and win the game. Did they? No.

So, you are saying the Detroit Lions at 2-14 were a better team than the Redskins who they beat in 2010? Do I even need to answer this?

So, you are saying the Giants who at 10-6 (didn't even win their division) were a better team than the Patriots at 16-0? Absolutely not.

You saying the a 7-9 Seahawks were a better team than a 11-5 Saints? **** no...lol

Well hell, lets just have a 1 game elimination from the get go and forgo any and all regular season. Last man standing!! After all, that's basically what you are equating.

It's not a hard concept to realize that the best team doesn't always win, but that's what makes the NFL (and NCAA tourny) so awesome, it's because it is a single game elimination and YOUR team has a shot in the playoff no matter how shitty they were in the regular season.

If what you are saying is true, then by default, we are super bowl winners since we in fact beat the Giants and Green Bay the past couple years!!! MAKE ROOM IN THE TROPHY CASE GUYS!!! After all, one game apparently means you are the best according to your logic.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Advertisements
Old 06-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #197
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

You're ignoring the central point of my argument ... the only team that can claim to be the "best" in any given year is the team that won it all and is standing at the end. All the preliminaries to that game are just that - Preliminiaries. We beat the Giants! Yay!! The Giants played well enough, long enough to win it all. No one else did.

You want to claim you were the best team in any given year? Do what it takes to play in and win the championship. Everyone else is just "The best team that didn't win the Championship" and that is a beauty contest.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #198
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I agree with JR, the best team is the one that wins it all. On paper, who had the most talent last year between the Mavs and the Heat? And did they play one NBA Final game, or 6? 1 game, 3 game series, 5 game series, 7 game series, you're talking what if's here. The reality is they had 60 minutes, 4 quarters, 2 halves to take the lead and win the game. Did they? No.
I have always thought that you were a man of impeccable wisdom.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #199
dppredskins
Camp Scrub

Hey guys I thought you might be interested in this eBay thing I found. I was trying to post it in a more prominent place but the forum rules don't allow that (probably for the best).

Anyway this thing gets you 4 VIP passes into the training camp to meet players and such.

ebay (dot) com/itm/110900054329?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649
Old 06-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #200
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
You're ignoring the central point of my argument ... the only team that can claim to be the "best" in any given year is the team that won it all and is standing at the end. All the preliminaries to that game are just that - Preliminiaries. We beat the Giants! Yay!! The Giants played well enough, long enough to win it all. No one else did.

You want to claim you were the best team in any given year? Do what it takes to play in and win the championship. Everyone else is just "The best team that didn't win the Championship" and that is a beauty contest.
Mike Tyson lost to Buster Douglas. Was Buster Douglas a better fighter than Mike Tyson? Nope.

I understand winning the championship gives said team the bragging rights of "being the best team that year", but it doesn't really mean the were the best when it comes down to it, which generally shows by their course of work though out the year. The Redskins can't claim to be the best team since they also beat the Packers, who were supposedly the best team according to them winning the Super Bowl. We are arguing semantics in the end and we'll agree to disagree on this particular topic.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 06-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #201
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

I'm with JR and mooby.

The Lombardi Trophy is essentially the "Best Team Award." Only the team with a Lombardi for a certain year can claim to be "Best Team." Anything else that happens in the season is just a lead-up to that award. And any claim that another team deserved the award is pure speculation.

A Lombardi in hand beats two speculations in the bush every time.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Old 06-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #202
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I'm with JR and mooby.

The Lombardi Trophy is essentially the "Best Team Award." Only the team with a Lombardi for a certain year can claim to be "Best Team." Anything else that happens in the season is just a lead-up to that award. And any claim that another team deserved the award is pure speculation.

A Lombardi in hand beats two speculations in the bush every time.

Well then. According to that logic, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and Eli Manning are better QBs than Dan Marino. TROPHIES MEAN YOU ARE THE BEST AFTER ALL AMIRITE??

Body of work.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #203
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Aqib Talib's case dismissed | Tampa Bay Buccaneers blog: Bucs Beat | tampabay.com & Tampa Bay Times

One step closer to the B & G
Old 06-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #204
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Well then. According to that logic, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and Eli Manning are better QBs than Dan Marino. TROPHIES MEAN YOU ARE THE BEST AFTER ALL AMIRITE??

Body of work.
No. The Lombardi Trophy, as stated, is the "best TEAM award," not the "best QB award." They are different things.

Tell me, if the best team does not win the championship, what objective measure do we use to determine who the best team is?

If there is no objective measure, then determining the best-team-not-to-win-the-championship is just subjective speculation. Or, as JR put it, a beauty contest.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Old 06-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #205
JoeRedskin

Now your just being obtuse. Individuals don't get to claim they were the best in any given year b/c their team won and that simply wasn't the point I was making. Your "Team" wins the championship, your "Team" is the best that year. Period.

[As to Buster beating Tyson - For a time, Buster was the best - he beat the best and, until he lost, he was the best.]
Old 06-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #206
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Is that speculation or insider knowledge? Got mixed feelings on it. Don't know much about him, believe him to be talented and likely a starter for us - but not sure if that is true or if he is too much of a headcase.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #207
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Is that speculation or insider knowledge? Got mixed feelings on it. Don't know much about him, believe him to be talented and likely a starter for us - but not sure if that is true or if he is too much of a headcase.
I haven't heard anything to lead me to believe the Redskins would have any interest in Talib beyond the usual interest to any talented player should they be released
Old 06-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #208
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
So, you are saying the Detroit Lions at 2-14 were a better team than the Redskins who they beat in 2010? Do I even need to answer this?

So, you are saying the Giants who at 10-6 (didn't even win their division) were a better team than the Patriots at 16-0? Absolutely not.

You saying the a 7-9 Seahawks were a better team than a 11-5 Saints? **** no...lol

Well hell, lets just have a 1 game elimination from the get go and forgo any and all regular season. Last man standing!! After all, that's basically what you are equating.

It's not a hard concept to realize that the best team doesn't always win, but that's what makes the NFL (and NCAA tourny) so awesome, it's because it is a single game elimination and YOUR team has a shot in the playoff no matter how shitty they were in the regular season.

If what you are saying is true, then by default, we are super bowl winners since we in fact beat the Giants and Green Bay the past couple years!!! MAKE ROOM IN THE TROPHY CASE GUYS!!! After all, one game apparently means you are the best according to your logic.

To answer your top 3 questions in order. yes, yes, and yes.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #209
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Boy the evidence the NFL shared this morning re: their evidence against the Saints...hoo boy...this will be new thread worthy when it all comes out.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #210
JoeRedskin

As in:
"Hoo boy - We knew it would be bad but nobody thought it would be that bad!!" ??