Debating with the enemy

Old 12-03-2022, 05:29 PM   #2041
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Re: The Most Fresh & Cordial Political Thread Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I thought this was interesting

Ted Cruz unites with Bernie Sanders behind failed push for rail worker sick leave

Per Dallas morning News
Like you . they are both idiots.

Advertisements
Old 12-05-2022, 10:31 AM   #2042
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Instead of giving hand outs of 10k to folks who don’t need them, we should be looking at why colleges are so expensive and looking to reduce cost. A big part of the problem is a familiar one when talking about big government and ineffective bureaucracy:

Harvard employs almost as many administrators as there are undergrad students. 7,024 admins vs 7,153 undergrads. unreal! what the hell do they do?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:59 AM   #2043
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
[B]Instead of giving hand outs of 10k to folks who don’t need them,
Who says they don't need them? Fuck you and Harvard.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:05 AM   #2044
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Instead of giving hand outs of 10k to folks who don’t need them, we should be looking at why colleges are so expensive and looking to reduce cost. A big part of the problem is a familiar one when talking about big government and ineffective bureaucracy:

Harvard employs almost as many administrators as there are undergrad students. 7,024 admins vs 7,153 undergrads. unreal! what the hell do they do?

Blames cost of college education on "big government" ...

Wants government to investigate private college
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 11:29 AM   #2045
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post

Blames cost of college education on "big government" ...

Wants government to investigate private college
Of course I didn’t say neither of these.

I blame the cost on the student loan program which the government has a firm hand in as well as “business” of higher education which colleges private or public are responsible for as well.

System is broken and the cost shouldn’t be a mortgage for undergrad programs. Now programs above under grad, then that’s a different story

He Gets Us

Last edited by Chico23231; 12-05-2022 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:35 AM   #2046
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Of course I did neither of these.

I blame the cost on the student loan program which the government has a firm hand in as well as “business” of higher education which colleges private or public are responsible for as well.

System is broken and the cost shouldn’t be a mortgage for undergrad programs. Now programs above under grad, then that’s a different story
So teachers and all employees at College don't deserve a living wage, is that what you're saying?
Old 12-05-2022, 11:51 AM   #2047
MTK
\m/

Don't know why we can't do both, relieve people of some debt along with fixing the outrageous costs of education.
Old 12-06-2022, 08:16 AM   #2048
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:

Did you get this from marginalrevolution.com? Looking at Harvard's website around 5,500 administrative and professional staff. That is still high but not hyperbolic to the unbelievable. At tuition costs of $55,000 a year that just isn't possible.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:03 AM   #2049
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Did you get this from marginalrevolution.com? Looking at Harvard's website around 5,500 administrative and professional staff. That is still high but not hyperbolic to the unbelievable. At tuition costs of $55,000 a year that just isn't possible.
I’ve also seen employment figures much higher for Harvard.

Let’s be honest, higher education cost are ridiculous and it much less about about education and more about big business.

These institutions could be run much, much leaner. Administration bloat is a problem

He Gets Us
Old 12-06-2022, 10:08 AM   #2050
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/can...stalled-report

Canada offered assisted suicide to a Paralympian veteran who wanted a wheelchair lift installed: report

Man what is up with Canada? place has become a shithole:

Christine Gauthier, a 52-year-old retired corporal who competed in the 2016 Paralympics at Rio De Janeiro, testified to lawmakers that a VA official had offered — in writing — to provide her with a medically-assisted suicide kit. The case officer remains unnamed but reportedly made similar offers to at least three other veterans, according to the Independent.

"I have a letter saying that if you’re so desperate, madam, we can offer you MAID, medical assistance in dying," Gauthier said in a hearing before the House of Commons veterans affairs committee.

Gtfoh with this…a 50-something got a medical device and the state offered to help kill herself? Is this medical advice

Don’t make me tap the fuckin sign again:

The government will not save you.

He Gets Us
Old 12-06-2022, 10:12 AM   #2051
SunnySide
Playmaker

Cost of college .. this is a big thing that needs to be addressed. How? Who knows.

1. Trade schools and skilled labor -- if you stay home from work you used to see the ITT tech trade schools and trucker classes. You can make a great stable living doing construction, mechanic, hvac, plumbing .. were talking over 100k.

After high school i worked as a day laborer at a construction site and id talk with the electricians and one guy was ready to offer me an apprenticeship. In 5-10 years you get your own truck, own a nice cheap house across the line in PA, drive down to MD for work.

I told my mom if a college accepted me, id go .. and then a college made an admin error and gave me a scholarship so I went the blue collar route.

COLLEGE ISNT FOR EVERYONE .. I hope my daughter goes to a trade school or culinary school .. or college if she wants to party and take on debt

2. Federal Govt got into the student loan business bc of the GIs in WW2 started the program. Guys coming back went to school and then had jobs. Very successful.

After Russia landed Sputnik there was a real push during the cold war to get the brightest into our advanced colleges as we didnt want to fall behind Russia in science/physics/aero etc

3. Private loans are more expensive and higher int rate (and probably higher decline rate) vs fed student loan program. Problem is people arent paying back the loans like anticipated ... probably bc we made "you gotta go to college to be successful" as some mantra like the milk mafia pushed milk on us for strong bones in the 70s and 80s.

-------------------------------

We need college to be accessible to our brightest .. not just the rich

but we cant have students not paying loans and living decades in debt
Old 12-06-2022, 10:17 AM   #2052
SunnySide
Playmaker

Contributions

Maryland offers a state tax deduction for contributions to a 529 plan of up to $2,500 for single filers and $5,000 for married filing jointly tax filers.

You can also carry-forward excess contributions for 10 years, which allows for super-funding.

Minimum:*$25

Maximum:*Accepts contributions until all account balances for the same beneficiary reach $500,000.

Matching Contributions:*Eligible participants who open a new account can receive up to $500 in matching contributions from the state.

https://thecollegeinvestor.com/529-plan-guide/maryland/

Raising the tax State deduction over 2.5/5 to 5/10 would be a start .. but doesnt address the rising costs of college
Old 12-06-2022, 10:19 AM   #2053
SunnySide
Playmaker

Sputnik was a wake-up call for the US: Americans needed to be smarter.

On October 4, 1957, the Soviet Union launched the first Earth-orbiting satellite, Sputnik. It was a clear sign to President Dwight Eisenhower that the US needed to be producing more scientists and engineers to compete with other nations. But there was one problem — the education system at the time was exclusive and shut out low- and middle-income people from participating.*

America wasn't going to catch up to the Soviets in the "space race" as long as that was the case.

Congress stepped in and created the National Defense Education Act (NDEA) at Eisenhower's request, which allowed the government to give loans to students in science and mathematics fields. It was later amended to remove restrictions on fields of study.*

https://www.businessinsider.com/sput...cation-2021-11

Went down a bit of a rabbit hole yesterday on Fed student loan history ... its needs some 2022 adjustments
Old 12-06-2022, 10:22 AM   #2054
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/can...stalled-report

Canada offered assisted suicide to a Paralympian veteran who wanted a wheelchair lift installed: report

Man what is up with Canada? place has become a shithole:

Christine Gauthier, a 52-year-old retired corporal who competed in the 2016 Paralympics at Rio De Janeiro, testified to lawmakers that a VA official had offered — in writing — to provide her with a medically-assisted suicide kit. The case officer remains unnamed but reportedly made similar offers to at least three other veterans, according to the Independent.

"I have a letter saying that if you’re so desperate, madam, we can offer you MAID, medical assistance in dying," Gauthier said in a hearing before the House of Commons veterans affairs committee.

Gtfoh with this…

In 50-100 years, anyone over 75 and not working can elect to have a peaceful passing and their family will receive money or tax benefits.

or china will unleash some more covid as population control ....
Old 12-06-2022, 02:35 PM   #2055
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Don't know why we can't do both, relieve people of some debt along with fixing the outrageous costs of education.
The one is the main contributor to the other (Easy accessibility to government money has been the main driver for the education cost explosion).
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote