Redskins at Bears Post Game Thoughts

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #181
30gut
Playmaker

Re: Redskins at Bears Post Game Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I hope the starters get a bit of playing time and that things will get better when all the starters play together.
I agree.
But, it would be nice for Griffin to have some rhythm going into this game.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #182
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Bold predictions for NFL season - Yahoo! Sports

Just thought this was interesting since this guy says RGIII could be better than Manning.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #183
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Some fans/media really bend over backwards to explain away even the most innocuous observations.

Of course if they extended some drives etc Griffin would have more pass attempts.
But, lets be truthful its preseason not an actual game no one is worried about scheme and pass-run ratio.
The Bills only ran the ball once in the 2st half because obviously they were working on different passing concepts.
That's what pre-season is for to work on stuff.

Tandler's post avoids the most obvious facts: the surest way to get Griffin more pass attempts?
Play him more snaps and in those snaps call more passes.
Like the Dolphins are doing with Tannehill, like the Colts are doing with Luck etc.

The jab at the end can't really be a jab because its a correct observation by the fans.
If your QB is Rex Grossman(turnover machine)/John Beck and the WRs corps lacks talent in the eyes of the coaches (hence Garcon,Morgan out Gaffney) how is a 60-40 pass-run ratio the same ratio of elite passing offenses justified?

I hate it when sports media pisses on my leg then tells me its raining.
I think it's worth pointing out that there's a little more to the story than it seems. You know, a little perspective to the constant sky is falling mantra from the fans.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #184
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I think it's worth pointing out that there's a little more to the story than it seems. You know, a little perspective to the constant sky is falling mantra from the fans.
Why does it seem that every observation that is critical or questioning but true is seemingly always meet with: chicken little or sky is falling?

Maybe, just maybe some fans are making actual objective football observations and seek a discussion of them?

Fan:Griffin only has 14 attempts other QBs have more
Response:Oh man, why are you saying the sky is falling? Quit being a chicken little.

^^Rinse, wash, repeat.

Maybe Griffin is so lights out in the closed practice sessions that the feel he doesn't need any more passing attempts then he's received?

Who knows?
But its a fact worth discussing and not dismissing.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #185
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Also to note though exciting to see Banks run one back he snuffed out a chance for RGIII to a) have more attempts and b) run the two minute drill. In theory I guess they could have started RGIII at the start of the 3rd but what is the point his night was over. Saturday is his big test against a weak defense and at home; he should be able to shine.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #186
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
Bold predictions for NFL season - Yahoo! Sports

Just thought this was interesting since this guy says RGIII could be better than Manning.
Why do some sites insist on doing videos?

Written text > Video's
Old 08-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #187
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Why do some sites insist on doing videos?

Written text > Video's
I know, I don't even bother. Especially when I have to watch a commercial first.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #188
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Why does it seem that every observation that is critical or questioning but true is seemingly always meet with: chicken little or sky is falling?

Maybe, just maybe some fans are making actual objective football observations and seek a discussion of them?

Fan:Griffin only has 14 attempts other QBs have more
Response:Oh man, why are you saying the sky is falling? Quit being a chicken little.

^^Rinse, wash, repeat.

Maybe Griffin is so lights out in the closed practice sessions that the feel he doesn't need any more passing attempts then he's received?

Who knows?
But its a fact worth discussing and not dismissing.
Isn't part of the discussion, bringing up some possible explanations as Tandler did? Isn't that what we're doing? You're the one that seems to be dismissive.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #189
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Isn't part of the discussion, bringing up some possible explanations as Tandler did? Isn't that what we're doing? You're the one that seems to be dismissive.
I don't intend to be dismissive, actually don't even see how I'm being dismissive.

but if this isn't dismissive then maybe I don't understand the word:
Quote:
Not to worry, Redskins fans (1). At some point RG3 will get some drives going(2) and people can get back to their old habits of complaining that Kyle Shanahan is too pass happy in his play calling.(3)
(1)Who is worrying?
(2) Duh? Tandler's explanation is patently obvious, which is dismissive in and of itself.
Of course if the first team offense could move the ball there would be more passing attempts.
(3) And yes based on the personnel Kyle was too pass happy with his playcalling.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #190
MTK
\m/

Quote:
I don't intend to be dismissive, actually don't even see how I'm being dismissive.

but if this isn't dismissive then maybe I don't understand the word:

(1)Who is worrying?
(2) Duh? Tandler's explanation is patently obvious, which is dismissive in and of itself.
Of course if the first team offense could move the ball there would be more passing attempts.
(3) And yes based on the personnel Kyle was too pass happy with his playcalling.
I didn't offer up Tandler's explanation as the end all be all to the question of why RG3 doesn't have a lot of attempts, just threw it out there as part of the discussion. You seemed to be saying it wasn't even worth talking about.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #191
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
...You seemed to be saying it wasn't even worth talking about.
Not my intention at all, I just strongly disagree with his explanation.
And after this I'll leave it; don't mean to side track the thread for which I apologize.

But directly to Tandler's statement about pass-run ratio here is Joe Philbin (who like I mentioned takes an approach that most teams take in regards to getting there QB especially non-veteran QB ready):

Quote:
We’re still working through that Joe (Rose). Part of the reason that our run-pass ratio is a little out of whack is, if you look at the team and you look at the running back pool, we feel like we’ve got some guys that, a) we’ve got some established players who have had some success in this league, we also feel like we have some young players that have a chance to be very good there. Now we’re in a position at receiver where we don’t have as much information on those guys, we don’t have as much quarterback information, so we’re throwing the ball more than we anticipate throwing in a quote unquote “normal game”.
Read more here: Joe Philbin discusses Carolina loss, upcoming week | Miami Dolphins In Depth
Old 08-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #192
firstdown
Living Legend

I missed the game but it seems the O had an off night. Well I think in preseason an off night actually helps the team learn from the mistakes they made and can work on them.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #193
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I missed the game but it seems the O had an off night.
Everybody on the first team offense and defense had a off night. Defense was just a crappy.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #194
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Why havent we cut Cedric Griffin yet?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #195
12thMan
MVP

Eh, I thought last year's team could have finished 9-7. I think this team is better and should be 8-8 or 9-7.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote