Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Chris Cooley for a 1st and a 3rd -- would you do it?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-15-2009, 12:24 AM   #181
GMScud
Swearinger

Re: Chris Cooley for a 1st and a 3rd -- would you do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
What? are you crazy? have you not been over to the "Ganther/Rock" thread recently? It's so obvious Rock is the best thing we have as a RB right now. Everyone wants him. How on earth would you think he has no trade value?

I hate questions like these. If it's just one or just the other then yes I'm looking for youth. But I don't think Cooley's legs are done yet. I'd much rather see what this team looks like with 2 excellent TE vs. throwing one away with out even exploring how dangerous we could be with 2.

I'm all for "Rebuild". Get rid of the old and bring in the new. But are we going to see a true "Rebuild"? I'm betting we see more of the same. SSDD. Only under a new HC.

Plus if the team picks a LT in the 1st round and a RT in the second, the third is taken from the Jarmin supplement pick, As far as I'm concerned we can pick OL across the board. Ganther has turned out to be a nice RB. Most likely JC will be tendered the one year because of the CAP being gone. Basically we are set at QB, RB, WR, TE for atleast one more year. My only concern is getting another RB and QB for the future if JC doesn't stay. All the young defensive line players are starting to shine. The young CB's are starting to come into their own. We might need a FS and a true SAM or SLB. Wilson is looking good but maybe if the LB's we picked up last year don't pan out we will need to bring in some UFA's and take a look at them.
It's kind of funny how much we all like the young (and for the most part, drafted) talent on this team, yet we want to punch Vinny in mouth and throw him on the street.

I still can't stand the guy, and his mismanagement of contracts, coaching staff, and O-line has been pretty pathetic, he has made some good moves worth noting.

Makes me sick to say that, full disclosure.

Advertisements
Old 12-15-2009, 12:27 AM   #182
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Cerrato has little to nothing to do with the contracts.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:54 AM   #183
djnemo65
Playmaker

I agree with GM that we are never going to get an offer like this (unless Zach Miller suddenly finds religion and moves to India to do yoga). Were it to be offered to us we would take it, and the emergence of FD only makes that more of a no brainer.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:59 AM   #184
Meks
Pro Bowl

Moss, Thomas, Kelly, Mitchell, Davis, Cooley, Yoder

take cooley out and it gets LESS appealing, its a fact... he's the 2nd best, if not the best, player on that list.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:13 AM   #185
T.O.Killa
The Starter

yeah i would do it, but no one would ever give that up. He would bring a second round pick, most likely.
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:16 AM   #186
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
The question for me right now is why not? Why not when you have an up and comer in Davis who is younger and cheaper, and if you could get multiple picks in return for CC it would only make sense to see what's out there. I'm not saying you push hard to deal him, you just toss a line out there and see what you bring in.
I'm not supportive of trading a known product for an unknown product(s). Davis being cheaper is a silly argument IMO. First off if you get a 1st round pick for CC it's likely to cost you just as much as CC is getting paid and even more so if the pick is a top 10 pick (the average guaranteed money given to a 1st round draft pick last year was around 11 million). Secondly, if you just want more draft picks, 2nd/3rd rounder, that's cool but we all know outside the 1st round the draft is a crap shoot. I wouldn't take a chance on these types of players with a player of CC's caliber as wager.

Always keep quality players unless they're disgruntled or old in the tooth (27 isn't old).

You can't teach experience.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:44 AM   #187
53Fan
Franchise Player

Nice post saden1. What happened to wanting depth? So now if we have good depth we trade our starters? I think Davis has shown this year why teams with good depth keep playing well even if their starters go down.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:30 AM   #188
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
I'm not supportive of trading a known product for an unknown product(s). Davis being cheaper is a silly argument IMO. First off if you get a 1st round pick for CC it's likely to cost you just as much as CC is getting paid and even more so if the pick is a top 10 pick (the average guaranteed money given to a 1st round draft pick last year was around 11 million). Secondly, if you just want more draft picks, 2nd/3rd rounder, that's cool but we all know outside the 1st round the draft is a crap shoot. I wouldn't take a chance on these types of players with a player of CC's caliber as wager.

Always keep quality players unless they're disgruntled or old in the tooth (27 isn't old).

You can't teach experience.

Are you using high first round contracts in that analysis? No one is giving us a high first rounder for him. I think somewhere in the second round is the most likely scenario. No second rounder is getting Cooley money (or even late first rounder).
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:34 AM   #189
MTK
\m/

Yeah we're likely talking about a lower 1st rounder, at best.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:01 AM   #190
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Cerrato has little to nothing to do with the contracts.
Now I'm really clueless. I honestly thought Cerrato had some dealings with the contracts. I actually thought he was the master mind behind keeping us well below the CAP. Now I'm really wondering what Cerrato is doing on this team?
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:01 AM   #191
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meks View Post
Moss, Thomas, Kelly, Mitchell, Davis, Cooley, Yoder

take cooley out and it gets LESS appealing, its a fact... he's the 2nd best, if not the best, player on that list.
Um, you forgot Rock, you know the MVP of the team.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #192
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Now I'm really clueless. I honestly thought Cerrato had some dealings with the contracts. I actually thought he was the master mind behind keeping us well below the CAP. Now I'm really wondering what Cerrato is doing on this team?
http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-l...nt-office.html

Eric Shaffer is the money guy
Old 12-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #193
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Nice post saden1. What happened to wanting depth? So now if we have good depth we trade our starters? I think Davis has shown this year why teams with good depth keep playing well even if their starters go down.
Oh my god. See now your throwing the "depth" wrinkle into the pot. We don't need depth we need picks. ...picks, picks, picks. Haven't you heard we need OL.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:07 AM   #194
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Um, you forgot Rock, you know the MVP of the team.
I know you think he sucks... but who is saying he's the MVP of anything?
Old 12-15-2009, 12:40 PM   #195
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
KWII was traded for a 2nd and a 5th, I think that's similar to what we could get for CC.
Both have similar career stats, but Cooley has almost twice the number of touchdowns. KWII has had constant injury issues whereas Cooley's been healthy up until his injury this year. I think its good to compare the two, but Cooley is a superior player - he'd garner more than a 2nd and 5th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket$ $traight View Post
A team wouldn't trade us club level tickets for Rock.

Trading Cooley is possibly an option because he is a pro-bowler but I would have to see a pretty attractive 2nd round player to justify getting rid of a stud.
That is key to me. We shouldn't trade Cooley "just" to get a pick. There needs to be a solid player in mind who we'd select with the pick(s) we received as compensation. Now, if we get a 1st rounder, we'd be sure to find someone we needed. However, if the compensation is something like a 2nd and a 3rd, i'd hope we would have preliminary talks with a few teams, but only execute the trade of the player we coveted was there when the pick came up.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote