Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Why Hasn't Anyone Talked About-A Possible Cancellation?

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Most likely scenario for the 2020 NFL season?
Starts on time and all regular season and playoff games are played 3 13.64%
Starts on time but doesn't finish 4 18.18%
Starts late but finishes 3 13.64%
Starts late but doesn't finish 2 9.09%
Stops and starts but finishes 2 9.09%
Stops and starts but doesn't finish 1 4.55%
Entire season canceled, no games played 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2020, 01:17 PM   #181
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Why Hasn't Anyone Talked About-A Possible Cancellation?

Walt Disney Company is easily on par with the NFL as a business

The fact they are opening up in July is a good sign and I’m sure they their data to why is legit. They are not gonna open up without meticulously vetting every risk

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/27/media...rus/index.html

Should be interesting to watch, we all should be root for it to be a success...businesses like the NFL will def be seeing how they accommodate tens of thousands of people daily.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-28-2020, 01:19 PM   #182
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRedskinsFan View Post
This virus is a long way from being done. For those that say that the fatality rate for this virus is something minuscule, I say do the math. 1.7 million cases, 100,000 dead in three months. There will not be packed stadiums until and unless there is an effective vaccine administered broadly to the population. At best that is months away and not likely this year.

I pray that I am wrong, I fear I am not...
This is from the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

This says almost 3 million Americans die a year on average. I didn't even know it was that many people yearly. It's kind of staggering when you are like me and didn't know the actual statistics at first. Now granted, Coronavirus is adding to that total, but the truth is, if we continue at this pace on virus deaths, then that comes out to being FAR lower yearly deaths than even Cancer and Heart Disease.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:26 PM   #183
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Fauci has also said the total might be closer to 60,000 than the predicted 100,000 to 200,00 deaths. That was back in early April. From a science perspective I think we have done a decent job. There was an unknown virus from a country we were positive was with holding information. Data will change as we develop a better understanding of the virus, the guidelines will change as we learn more. Frankly I was okay with shutting things down giving our epidemiologists, doctors etc the best chance to figure out whats going on and slowly open things as we learn more. As of right now we have peer reviewed articles that are showing surface contact and asymptomatic carriers have a lower impact than we knew in March. This will change again in a few months as we learn more. it is not scientists lying it is the scientific process.

For those that don't want to do SCRedskins math: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality updated on Wednesday

To get back to the season. I am excited the NHL is going to have a post season. I think the NFL will be able to learn a lot about player exposure from the Stanley Cup playoffs.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:28 PM   #184
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
This is from the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

This says almost 3 million Americans die a year on average. I didn't even know it was that many people yearly. It's kind of staggering when you are like me and didn't know the actual statistics at first. Now granted, Coronavirus is adding to that total, but the truth is, if we continue at this pace on virus deaths, then that comes out to being FAR lower yearly deaths than even Cancer and Heart Disease.
Heart disease and cancer are the biggest killers in developed countries they are also chronic exposure diseases versus acute. It would have to be some serious bug to catch those.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:56 PM   #185
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Walt Disney Company is easily on par with the NFL as a business

The fact they are opening up in July is a good sign and I’m sure they their data to why is legit. They are not gonna open up without meticulously vetting every risk

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/27/media...rus/index.html

Should be interesting to watch, we all should be root for it to be a success...businesses like the NFL will def be seeing how they accommodate tens of thousands of people daily.
Meh. Their model includes asking visitors and diners to sign a waiver releasing WDW from liability if they acquire COVID19 during their stay.

Their acceptance of the risk includes landing at least the majority of it in the laps of patrons. Which is the way the world should work, honestly.

But to characterize it as risk-free or well-vetted is a little cavalier. Like everybody, they're weighing the risks of opening vs the risks of not opening. They are determining that the risk to their financial health is greater than the risks of opening. But that doesn't mean all is clear. Take part at your own risk, and the risk is still considerable.

The NFL stadiums will face similar questions. And with most of the money coming from TV revenues I don't think they face the same downside as WDW does by staying closed. The NFL could still make a ton of money by playing in empty stadiums, with little of the risk to go along with it.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:56 PM   #186
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
I think at one point it was even higher than that. I seem to remember Dr. Fauci giving an initial prediction of 1 million U.S. deaths from it. But i can't remember if he was saying that might be the TOTAL death toll by the time we have a vaccine / effective treatment 2 years down the road or so.
Has he been right on anything? I stopped listening to him a long time ago.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:04 PM   #187
MTK
\m/

Can't imagine going somewhere like Disney anytime soon. That park is covered in filth when you think about it. Snot nosed kids with their hands everywhere.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:14 PM   #188
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Can't imagine going somewhere like Disney anytime soon. That park is covered in filth when you think about it. Snot nosed kids with their hands everywhere.
I absolutely adore the place but agree, not a good idea. For me to go anywhere where I'm likely to walk past 1000 people or more per day in close proximity? Gonna take a long time until I'm comfortable with that again.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:32 PM   #189
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

I never pegged you as someone that would adore much of anything Schneed. Learn something new everyday.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:54 PM   #190
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Has he been right on anything? I stopped listening to him a long time ago.
No, not really. I have never doubted his knowledge for a second, but when you delve into his backstory and his predictions, he has been routinely wrong in his predictions / scenarios. Which he would be the first one to point out, because that means that people took his warnings / info seriously, and crisis was largely averted.

I am sure that he would be happy too that he will not see the 1 million deaths that he originally predicted. And he is also the first one to point out that when the virus first emerged, we had no better way of learning about it / minimizing the damage, other than locking down everywhere until we could get a plan together. And now he says that obviously long-term lockdowns is a poor strategy. But to be fair to him, they knew no better way at the time.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:59 PM   #191
MTK
\m/

Science isn't about being "right". If you're keeping score on Fauci you're looking at things the wrong way. The more we learn about the virus the more things change. It's a constantly moving target.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:17 PM   #192
SunnySide
Playmaker

Im totally confused as to where "Fauci predicted 1 million deaths" is coming from.

CDC worst case scenario projection, if we did absolutely nothing, was 1.7 million dead.

Fauci himself predicted 100k to 200k deaths, millions of cases.

--------------

Are you all confusing Fauci with the CDC (worst case) projection

or

Confusing Fauci saying there will be millions of cases with fauci saying there will be a million deaths?

-----------------------------

Perhaps im confused and missed Fauci saying there will be a million deaths, even if we mitigate. Because I have not seen that.

Can anyone provide a link where Fauci says he predicts 1 million deaths ... and not when he is being asked about CDC's worst case, "if we do nothing" projection?
Old 05-28-2020, 03:29 PM   #193
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Im totally confused as to where "Fauci predicted 1 million deaths" is coming from.

CDC worst case scenario projection, if we did absolutely nothing, was 1.7 million dead.

Fauci himself predicted 100k to 200k deaths, millions of cases.

--------------

Are you all confusing Fauci with the CDC (worst case) projection

or

Confusing Fauci saying there will be millions of cases with fauci saying there will be a million deaths?

-----------------------------

Perhaps im confused and missed Fauci saying there will be a million deaths, even if we mitigate. Because I have not seen that.

Can anyone provide a link where Fauci says he predicts 1 million deaths ... and not when he is being asked about CDC's worst case, "if we do nothing" projection?
I think his prediction of a million deaths was based on if we didn't mitigate at all.

But now going back and re-reading some stuff he has said, perhaps i have confused his million deaths over him stating there would be millions of cases.

I could have almost swore i heard at one of the briefings him say that it would be one million deaths, although i really think he was talking about from the time we first realized the virus, to when it was effectively "over" with the advent of therapies and a vaccine....
Old 05-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #194
SCRedskinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
I think his prediction of a million deaths was based on if we didn't mitigate at all.

But now going back and re-reading some stuff he has said, perhaps i have confused his million deaths over him stating there would be millions of cases.

I could have almost swore i heard at one of the briefings him say that it would be one million deaths, although i really think he was talking about from the time we first realized the virus, to when it was effectively "over" with the advent of therapies and a vaccine....
Dr. Fauci has consistently said that the virus sets the agenda and timetable, not politicians or even scientists. You can pick on specific things he may (or may not) have said, but scientists are asked to give best educated guesses. Sometimes they are right and sometimes they are wrong. The low end of a death toll from this virus with dedicated mitigation actions by the populace has been 100,000 for a very long time.

And I, for one, choose to listen to scientists rather than politicians and amateurs that have an ax to grind.
SCRedskinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:21 PM   #195
SCRedskinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRedskinsFan View Post
Dr. Fauci has consistently said that the virus sets the agenda and timetable, not politicians or even scientists. You can pick on specific things he may (or may not) have said, but scientists are asked to give best educated guesses. Sometimes they are right and sometimes they are wrong. The low end of a death toll from this virus with dedicated mitigation actions by the populace has been 100,000 for a very long time.

And I, for one, choose to listen to scientists rather than politicians and amateurs that have an ax to grind.
Interesting article on this subject.

https://apple.news/AZtbMsNuGRkaiQmm4QuWjsw
SCRedskinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote