Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Board Management > Thread Hell

Vince Young overrated?

Thread Hell

Old 11-20-2007, 07:04 PM   #181
itvnetop
Playmaker

Re: Vince Young overrated?

As long as Norm Chow is leading the offense, he'll find ways to maximize Young. He's known to groom quarterbacks and VY will flourish under him.

Advertisements
Old 11-20-2007, 11:34 PM   #182
djnemo65
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
True. But in light of Atlanta's woes without Vick, it seems like Vick was a good player if mediocre to poor passer? Vince is overrated by many, but like Vick he's a playmaker.
Yeah, I picked Atlanta as my sleeper this season for that very reason: if Vick is so mediocre then there shouldn't be that great a drop-off resulting from his absence. This was a strong team that had to totally collapse to miss the playoffs the last two years.

The fact that they are such a joke now has to lend Vick the QB at least a little heightened cachet right?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:01 AM   #183
TheBigD
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
Yeah, I picked Atlanta as my sleeper this season for that very reason: if Vick is so mediocre then there shouldn't be that great a drop-off resulting from his absence. This was a strong team that had to totally collapse to miss the playoffs the last two years.

The fact that they are such a joke now has to lend Vick the QB at least a little heightened cachet right?
While I might be a little biased because I went to VT, but I think that this whole "Vick is overrated" in itself overrated. Everyone is just repeating it after hearing on ESPN or reading in some sports magazine. Yes he is not the best QB out there but he is a great player.

He is showing how valuable he was to Atlanta by not being there right now.

I think the problem was that they spent too much money on Vick and the D that they couldn't bring in decent WRs. Name me the pro bowl receivers that played with Vick. Also, look at Brady and how much better his numbers look with a new set of receivers. There were countless times when I saw White and Lellie drop very very catchable balls.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:01 PM   #184
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Vick may not be the classic pocket guy, and he is a bad dude, but when you take him off Atl. they are a bad team as the eveidence shows. If you put him in the lineup they are probably 500. When he is on the field the defenses have to defend differently. The guy rushed for over a 1,000 yards. So that probably tells you his value.
Atlanta is having massive issues this year that really don't have anything to do with the QB. Harrington is playing pretty well, surprisingly. I couldn't see this team a lot better with Vick, because they wouldn't have a passing game, and although they would have a running game, the D would still be downright awful.

When was the last time anyone heard the name "John Abraham"?
Old 11-21-2007, 12:10 PM   #185
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigD View Post
While I might be a little biased because I went to VT, but I think that this whole "Vick is overrated" in itself overrated. Everyone is just repeating it after hearing on ESPN or reading in some sports magazine. Yes he is not the best QB out there but he is a great player.

He is showing how valuable he was to Atlanta by not being there right now.

I think the problem was that they spent too much money on Vick and the D that they couldn't bring in decent WRs. Name me the pro bowl receivers that played with Vick. Also, look at Brady and how much better his numbers look with a new set of receivers. There were countless times when I saw White and Lellie drop very very catchable balls.
Back in 2002 when he had started playing, the emphasis was not on team speed on D back then. His running skills had never been seen before and his passing acumen was benefiting from that because teams already had no solution to his running skills, and thus could never really play their game. He was great because he was 23 years old, and no one could stop his game.

Since then, everyone got faster on defense. Yes, he rushed for 1,000 yards last season, but that's because he ran it 119 times, a lot more than he did (or needed to) in 2002.

If you add the value of his runs to that of his horrible passing, you come out with a player who's overall value is somewhere around the level of Eli Manning, or JP Losman. Additionally, to get his true value out of running, you have to decrease the carries the RB is getting, and put the ball in Vicks hands more. This increases the risk of turnovers by a lot.

Even if he was playing now, and leading all QBs in rushing yards, he still wouldn't be very good. A small upgrade over Harrington? Possibly. Would this awful Falcons team be a playoff contender? Not even close.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:17 AM   #186
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
He's looking pretty smart, accurate, and impressive tonight, notwithstanding an awful lot of key drops by his wideouts.
While I agree, he did look better than normal on that monday night game, I think you are over valueing his play.
Yes, he did have a lot of drops, but he was also off on several throws including his touchdown pass. He also, yet again, had too many turnovers.
Like I said, he did play better, but even Vick would have games where he looked good only to give fans false hope, then he would shatter them the following week with poor play. I'm sure VY will will have a horrible game again. I mean, the guy has 5 passing tds, and a whopping 12 int's. You can only blame your WR's so much.
Just in case anyone has missed it, he has 2 passing tds and 6 ints in the past3 games. (and he's 1-2 in those games)
Old 11-24-2007, 04:22 PM   #187
Skinsfanmania
Special Teams

I believe it is much too early to say whether he is overrated or not, but I wouldn't trade him for JC. I believe JC is the best quarterback to come out of the draft since Carson Palmer.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:36 PM   #188
jsarno
Franchise Player

Yet another poor performance to make my comments look like fact. No tds and 2 turnovers...this guy is a turnover machine. Losing to the inferior bengals is not good.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:47 PM   #189
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Yet another poor performance to make my comments look like fact. No tds and 2 turnovers...this guy is a turnover machine. Losing to the inferior bengals is not good.
I was at a bar watching the game and he looked pretty good. His stats were pretty damn good. The loss is not on him. BTW, his wideouts (if they can be called that) dropped at least 6 balls and he still managed a 60% completion percentage.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:49 PM   #190
MTK
\m/

ugh when is this madness going to stop??
Old 11-25-2007, 09:07 PM   #191
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
ugh when is this madness going to stop??
When posters actually understand that VY is extremely overrated. There are still people out there that are making comments about how he "looked good" and "it's not his fault". I suppose the SLEW of turnovers are not his fault either, nice to make excuses for a guy that has some of the worst stats in the NFL. When that changes, then it will stop. Until then, this is still an extremely relevant thread.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:23 PM   #192
MTK
\m/

Quote:
When posters actually understand that VY is extremely overrated. There are still people out there that are making comments about how he "looked good" and "it's not his fault". I suppose the SLEW of turnovers are not his fault either, nice to make excuses for a guy that has some of the worst stats in the NFL. When that changes, then it will stop. Until then, this is still an extremely relevant thread.
Relevant to what?? Your one man crusade to hate on Vince Young?

Why should we as Skins fans care about Vince Young any way?
Old 11-25-2007, 11:45 PM   #193
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:
Contrary to what you think jsarno, your beliefs are opinion and not fact. And ummmm, he has looked good the past 2 weeks. I still don't know exactly why you have such a hard on for VY's turnovers. Dude's a second year player, give him a break.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:09 PM   #194
jsarno
Franchise Player

Vince himself keeps this thread going with his poor play. That is not opinion, that is fact. You can't ignore ALL his poor stats.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:03 AM   #195
MTK
\m/

Sorry to keep this going but I think we should at least be fair and give the man some credit when he does play well.

Last week he was 21 of 31 for 248 yards with 2 TDs and 1 INT.