Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Commanders 2024 Free Agency Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-12-2024, 07:33 AM   #181
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Re: Commanders 2024 Free Agency Thread

Could y'all please stop fooling yourselves that Wylie has a future with this team. He is too underperforming to remain in DC (TURD). Thanks in advance!
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-12-2024, 08:19 AM   #182
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Grade: B

After losing Antonio Gibson in free agency, the Commanders manage to upgrade their third-down running back situation with Ekeler at just $5.5 million per year. He will turn 29 before the season begins, and he had 628 rushing yards and six total touchdowns in 2023 (14 games). That's a drop-off for the talented back who had more than 1,550 scrimmage yards in back-to-back seasons (2021-22) and 38 touchdowns during that span.

Ekeler struggled to stay on the field and averaged only 3.5 yards per carry in 2023, and with the Chargers' offensive philosophy changing under new coach Jim Harbaugh, Ekeler was available in free agency. Despite previously signing a four-year, $24.5 million deal before the 2020 season, Ekeler is seeing the reality of the running back market with a much lower offering this time around.

The Commanders needed a second back to run behind Brian Robinson Jr. and work as the team's primary receiving option out of the backfield. Washington ranked 27th in rushing yards last season (93.6 per game), though it ranked in the top 10 for running back targets in the passing game (109). Ekeler likely won't see the volume in offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury's offense that he once did in Los Angeles, but he does have an opportunity to be a valuable playmaker thanks to his speed and receiving skills. He has the tools to be among the league's better third-down backs in this setting. -- Miller
Old 03-12-2024, 08:20 AM   #183
mredskins
Gamebreaker

The Commanders need an identity at linebacker with new coach Dan Quinn bringing his intense 4-3 scheme to town. They'll get that in the versatile Luvu. In 2023, Luvu had 5.5 sacks, 125 tackles and 2 forced fumbles playing in the middle of the Carolina Panthers defense. Now he'll have the protection of big defensive tackles Jonathan Allen and Daron Payne keeping blockers off his frame while he runs down ball carriers.

Linebacker wasn't a top-three need on my board for the Commanders, but it was paramount they brought in someone who could handle openings at weak and strongside linebacker, and Luvu has the ability to play all three linebacker spots. Could we see the Commanders use him in ways similar to how Quinn used Micah Parsons in Dallas? His pass-rush traits say it's possible. And at just $12 million per year, he would be signed on a value contract if he produces similar pass-rush numbers in 2024. At that AAV, he's the seventh-highest-paid linebacker, which speaks to his ability and upside in Quinn's defense. -- Miller
Old 03-12-2024, 08:21 AM   #184
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
https://twitter.com/NickiJhabvala/st...96036522254602

Roundup per Nicki Jhabvala:

Commanders' free-agent deals so far ...

LB Frankie Luvu - 3 years, max $36M
RB Austin Ekeler - 3 years, max $11.43M
DE Dorance Armstrong - 3 years, $33M (max $45M)
C Tyler Biadasz - 3 years, $30M
G Nick Allegretti - 3 years, $16M
K Brandon McManus - 1 year, $3.6M
TE Zach Ertz - 1 year, max $5M
Active but nothing crazy

Mike LB, Center and pass rusher….crucial to get the guys they wanted there.

Corner and Tackle probably up next

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 08:21 AM   #185
mredskins
Gamebreaker

those are ESPN PLUS rankings/grades
Old 03-12-2024, 08:24 AM   #186
njant
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
Guard Nick Allegretti (KC) was signed - only played 80 snaps last year ok PFF grade 68.7 probably a depth pick. Contract was for 3 years max $16mil.
nick allgretti will be our startling LG as the season begins
njant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 08:31 AM   #187
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Could y'all please stop fooling yourselves that Wylie has a future with this team. He is too underperforming to remain in DC (TURD). Thanks in advance!
I don't think anyone here is fooling themselves, nobody wants him on the field and yet the new front office hasn't cut him yet which would imply they still have plans for him. If so he would have done less damage at LG than RT, but that doesn't seem to be the plan with the signing of the new dude.
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 08:31 AM   #188
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Agreed, backup for now but likely depends on the draft whether he's here for camp. If they sign Smith or Jonah Williams and draft a T, I'd say Wylie is gone soon after. Trade bait?
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 08:36 AM   #189
Darrell Green Fan
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post

The Commanders need an identity at linebacker with new coach Dan Quinn bringing his intense 4-3 scheme to town. They'll get that in the versatile Luvu. In 2023, Luvu had 5.5 sacks, 125 tackles and 2 forced fumbles playing in the middle of the Carolina Panthers defense. Now he'll have the protection of big defensive tackles Jonathan Allen and Daron Payne keeping blockers off his frame while he runs down ball carriers.

Linebacker wasn't a top-three need on my board for the Commanders, but it was paramount they brought in someone who could handle openings at weak and strongside linebacker, and Luvu has the ability to play all three linebacker spots. Could we see the Commanders use him in ways similar to how Quinn used Micah Parsons in Dallas? His pass-rush traits say it's possible. And at just $12 million per year, he would be signed on a value contract if he produces similar pass-rush numbers in 2024. At that AAV, he's the seventh-highest-paid linebacker, which speaks to his ability and upside in Quinn's defense. -- Miller
I am surprised LB was not a top 3 need on your board. They have not had a good LB on this roster since London Fletcher, last season you could argue that they didn't even have a staring caliber LB on the entire roster.

This first day was a slam dunk. They actually did sign an impact player in Luvu, the rest were exactly what they needed with solid starters at need positions at reasonable costs. The center signing was crucial for a young QB, the guard had a higher PFF grade (for what that's worth) than Brendon Scherff last season. He's no star but he is a solid starter until they find a better option in the draft. Their OL dramatically improved literally overnight.

Ekeler has always been one of my favorite players. He is not washed, he is a year old than Barkley, was injured and a product of a dysfunctional team last season. He will provide more explosive plays in his first month than Gibson provided in his entire time here.

Last edited by Darrell Green Fan; 03-12-2024 at 09:12 AM.
Darrell Green Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 08:43 AM   #190
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Green Fan View Post
I have no idea why LB was not a top 3 need on your board. They literally have not had a good LB on this roster since London Fletcher, last season you could argue that they didn't even have a staring caliber LB on the entire roster.

This first day was a slam dunk. They actually did sign an impact player in Luvu, the rest were exactly what they needed, solid starters at need positions at reasonable costs. The center signing was crucial for a young QB, the guard had a higher PFF grade (for what that's worth) than Brendon Scherff last season. Their OL dramatically improved overnight.

Ekeler has always been one of my favorite players. He is not washed, he is a year old than Barkley, was injured and a product of a dysfunctional team last season. He will provide more explosive plays in his first month than Gibson provided in his entire time here.
its the espn plus opinions, i just copied them over for folks to see who didn't have the service
Old 03-12-2024, 09:07 AM   #191
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
its the espn plus opinions, i just copied them over for folks to see who didn't have the service
Thanks for doing that
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 09:14 AM   #192
Darrell Green Fan
Special Teams

Quote:

Ah thanks for the clarification. I didn't meant to sound so critical which is why I changed the wording to start my post. I still think this was a very good signing and a great first day.
Darrell Green Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 09:37 AM   #193
calia
Playmaker

CB and T today, please. And maybe S as there is no indication Kurl will return. Worried about the T spot the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2024, 09:40 AM   #194
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Seriously. People acting like we're on final cuts to 53. Maybe they are waiting until they find a better replacement before letting him go.
Old 03-12-2024, 09:43 AM   #195
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Green Fan View Post
Ah thanks for the clarification. I didn't meant to sound so critical which is why I changed the wording to start my post. I still think this was a very good signing and a great first day.
no worries and i agree with you an A all around day