Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #181
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Re: Around the NFL...Offseason Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
She has between a perma-angry Jim Carrey face and a Joker face. Add me to the "no thanks" bandwagon.

No idea what you are looking at, but I think she is beautiful.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.

Advertisements
Old 06-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #182
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Former Eagles' Prez Banner "laughing" about DeSean Jackson's contract.

DeSean Jackson - Philadelphia Eagles - 2012 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com
According to the Boston Globe, outgoing Eagles president Joe Banner is "having a good laugh" about DeSean Jackson's five-year, $47 million contract.
Per plugged-in Boston Globe reporter Greg Bedard, Banner "never would have done that deal." Banner was considered one of the league's most skilled contract negotiators before losing a power struggle with Andy Reid and GM Howie Roseman. Reid now has absolute power in Philly, in a Belichickian role.

SOURCE:
Steve Spagnuolo eager to get started with Saints - Boston.com
Quote:
Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson started a rap label and dropped $25,000 at a Los Angeles launch party. In his office that is still inside the Eagles’ NovaCare facility, former team president Joe Banner is having a good laugh. Jackson received his $47 million extension, in good measure, because Banner had his contract power usurped. Banner never would have done that deal.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #183
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
'06 - marlon mccree intercepts brady on 4th down, gets stripped by troy brown, patriots recover, go on to win. if mccree goes down immediately, as most well-coached players do in those situations, who knows how it ends. exit marty
2002 National Championship game, Sean Taylor intercepts Craig Krenzel in the end zone, as he returns it Maurice Clarrett comes out of no where and strips him, Ohio State recovers and goes on to win.

2009 Kareem Moore intercepts Drew Brees and as he is going down is stripped by Robert Meachem who goes in for a TD.

Both of those games would have gone the other way if not for those fluke plays. Those plays are just flukes.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #184
Monkeydad
Living Legend

That Meachem strip was a great play...but so painful.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #185
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

I remember that play. If only Kareem Moore could have held onto the ball. The thing about it was the Redskins had the Saints number in that game but they weren't able to overcome them.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #186
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Former Eagles' Prez Banner "laughing" about DeSean Jackson's contract.

SOURCE:
Steve Spagnuolo eager to get started with Saints - Boston.com

I'm sure he is laughing. I would be too. I wouldn't have paid him that much money after seeing how he quit on the team due to his pouting.

Also from that same article.

This sound familiar?

Quote:
The Jets are still waiting for safety LaRon Landry (Achilles’ tendon) to be ready, and he might not be until after training camp starts. “When you look at his history, he hasn’t been full speed in a lot of the training camps every day, and watching him, I hope that he can get to that point,’’ said coach Rex Ryan. “We’ll just have to wait and see, see how it plays out.’’ This is exactly why the Patriots passed on him. They don’t need a safety trying to learn a new system in August
Enjoy RR and all you Jets fans.

Sincerely,

Redskins fans
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 06-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #187
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
2002 National Championship game, Sean Taylor intercepts Craig Krenzel in the end zone, as he returns it Maurice Clarrett comes out of no where and strips him, Ohio State recovers and goes on to win.

2009 Kareem Moore intercepts Drew Brees and as he is going down is stripped by Robert Meachem who goes in for a TD.

Both of those games would have gone the other way if not for those fluke plays. Those plays are just flukes.
Its awareness (Player trait and coaching trait) and cockiness (player trait and coaching trait). ST knew he was a great player and didn't have great ball security on the play. When you get INT's in football, you're taught to A) hold onto the ball, and B) just go down; you don't have to be superman on a play. Kareem Moore isn't that good of a player, and obviously he ignored his coaches by just going down right then when he intercepted it. Yeah, every once in a while you'll get a play like that that doesn't happen that often. But my favorite quote is Bill Parcells "you are what your record says you are", there were other opportunities in both those game examples you mentioned where the other team could have capitalized or made up for those 'fluke' plays. Its all apart of football.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #188
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Its awareness (Player trait and coaching trait) and cockiness (player trait and coaching trait). ST knew he was a great player and didn't have great ball security on the play. When you get INT's in football, you're taught to A) hold onto the ball, and B) just go down; you don't have to be superman on a play. Kareem Moore isn't that good of a player, and obviously he ignored his coaches by just going down right then when he intercepted it. Yeah, every once in a while you'll get a play like that that doesn't happen that often. But my favorite quote is Bill Parcells "you are what your record says you are", there were other opportunities in both those game examples you mentioned where the other team could have capitalized or made up for those 'fluke' plays. Its all apart of football.
Well, that's the point. Many things go into the winning of a championship. All that has been asserted is that SD had the talent to do so but was not able to have all the pieces come together at the right time to do so.

Winning the SB relies on more than athletic talent - a point you now seem to concede, but which you originally appearred to deny:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Then obviously they didn't have enough talent and coaching if they couldn't win it all...
LT's San Diego teams will always be deemed a disappointment b/c, as you say, "they were what their record said they were" - a perennial favorite to go all the way based on their talent that simply never was able to make it to the SB. I would suggest they are on the short list of "Best Teams To Never Win The Superbowl".
Old 06-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #189
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Well, that's the point. Many things go into the winning of a championship. All that has been asserted is that SD had the talent to do so but was not able to have all the pieces come together at the right time to do so.

Winning the SB relies on more than athletic talent - a point you now seem to concede, but which you originally appearred to deny:

LT's San Diego teams will always be deemed a disappointment b/c, as you say, "they were what their record said they were" - a perennial favorite to go all the way based on their talent that simply never was able to make it to the SB. I would suggest they are on the short list of "Best Teams To Never Win The Superbowl".
Agreed. They should be an episode of that "Missing Rings" series.

Too bad for LT.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Old 06-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #190
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:

Those San Diego Chargers teams would have never beat the Patriots, the Ravens, or the Steelers in the playoffs. Norv Turner had very good personnel on those Chargers teams but they would always lose in the playoffs to powerhouse teams in the AFC.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #191
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:

Agreed. Last thing I'll say though is this; IF SD had beaten NE and played Indy, then they more than likely would have beaten INDY, and that would be a one and only (as of now) Ring taken away from Peyton Manning. Who is a better player in that argument? Its got to be Peyton. Sometimes history is best as it is..(Peyton with a Ring and LT without one)
Old 06-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #192
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

I think many of you guys are forgetting something in your tails of the Chargers in the playoffs.

NFL Videos: Top Ten Gutsiest Performances: Philip Rivers

Not to mention, that same game that LT could hardly run because he was badly hurt from the week prior.

Many things come into play in winning a Super Bowl, and quite frankly, luck plays a HUGE part in it. The Patriots have been one of the luckiest teams I've seen to date, in large part due to injuries and calls that always seem to go their way. That's not taking anything away from their coaching, but you have to have luck on your side.

Also, remember, the team that wins the Super Bowl (and NCAA basketball championship) is usually not the best team in the NFL.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 06-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #193
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

You had me right up until the end. The team that wins the SB is the best "team" of the year. Other teams may have had the opportunity to be the best, but, in any given year, the team that wins it all gets to claim the title of "Best Team of _____".

Otherwise, it's all just a beauty contest and we'll all argue over the Russian Judge's score.

It may be luck, skill or just the proper alignment of the constellations, but, ultimately, in sports, the "best team" is the team still standing at the end. The most anyone else can be is the "best team that didn't win".
Old 06-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #194
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
You had me right up until the end. The team that wins the SB is the best "team" of the year. Other teams may have had the opportunity to be the best, but, in any given year, the team that wins it all gets to claim the title of "Best Team of _____".

I think you are arguing over semantics really. According to the trophy, they are the best team. In reality, they are not the best team. Very rare does the best team with the championship in the NFL and in college basketball. For one, it's a one game elimination. If they changed the NFL playoffs to to a 3 game format at each level, you'd see a different story to be quite honest.

You think the Giants beat the 2007 Patriots in a best out of 3? Hell no...lol Where they even the best team that year? **** no, they weren't even the best team in their division which is why the Cowboys won it. If they were truly the best team, they would win their division and have home field advantage throughout the playoffs. The regular season is a true indicator of the league's best team. That doesn't mean they are going to win the championship though.

Same with NCAA basketball. The last two teams that held the #1 rank at the end of the season and won it all were Kentucky and UNC. It's a very rare feat.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #195
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
I think you are arguing over semantics really. According to the trophy, they are the best team. In reality, they are not the best team. Very rare does the best team with the championship in the NFL and in college basketball. For one, it's a one game elimination. If they changed the NFL playoffs to to a 3 game format at each level, you'd see a different story to be quite honest.

You think the Giants beat the 2007 Patriots in a best out of 3? Hell no...lol Where they even the best team that year? **** no, they weren't even the best team in their division which is why the Cowboys won it. If they were truly the best team, they would win their division and have home field advantage throughout the playoffs. The regular season is a true indicator of the league's best team. That doesn't mean they are going to win the championship though.

Same with NCAA basketball. The last two teams that held the #1 rank at the end of the season and won it all were Kentucky and UNC. It's a very rare feat.
I agree with JR, the best team is the one that wins it all. On paper, who had the most talent last year between the Mavs and the Heat? And did they play one NBA Final game, or 6? 1 game, 3 game series, 5 game series, 7 game series, you're talking what if's here. The reality is they had 60 minutes, 4 quarters, 2 halves to take the lead and win the game. Did they? No.