D 0 0%
F 1 1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2019, 11:04 AM   #181
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Ron Rivera Thread

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...es/DelRJa0.htm

Del Rio came up as a linebackers coach for the 2000 Ravens defense.

In 2002 he became d-coordinator Carolina, led them to the #2 D (in yards) that year. 2003 became Jags head coach.

After the Jags in 2012 he became DC with the Broncos. 3 seasons as Broncos d-coordinator they ranked 2, 19, and 3 in yards allowed. 4, 22, and 16 in points allowed, and 16, 16, 14 in takeaways (lower is better).

My #1 choice is Leslie Frazier, but I'd settle for Del Rio after Haslett, Barry, and Manusky. GD Jay Gruden couldn't pick a defensive coordinator for shit.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-31-2019, 11:05 AM   #182
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Seems like Del Rio came through the ranks of some top notch Ds. If it is who Rivera wants then get him signed.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:05 AM   #183
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmmrr View Post
This reminds me of the Shanahan hire. A guy who wants full control of football decisions.

I'm crossing my fingers that he's here long enough to build a winner. How long will it take for either Rivera to despise Synder or Synder to despise Rivera?
He doesn't want full control...

Quote:
“I don’t want personnel control,” Rivera said. “I just want to be able to pick which 46 are active for game day, and have a collaborative relationship (with a general manager) — and, if there’s a conflict, be able at least to go to the owner and state my case.”

4 reasons Ron Rivera is the right hire as Washington’s next coach
Old 12-31-2019, 11:06 AM   #184
SunnySide
Playmaker

Im fine with the Rivera hire and honestly dont know much about 95% of the coaches and coord out there but ...

only 3 winning seasons in 9 years with Carolina.

Is he like a John Harbaugh? Doesnt call off or def plays and is just a leader of men? Not that a "leader of men" isnt a bad type of HC to have. We saw what happened when we had an offensive minded but too easy going type HC in Gruden.

Rivera will bring accountability and (been reported) that he is good and interested in knowing the players off the field. But are we leaving the offense ingenuity and adaptability to a 32 year old Kevin OConnell? I hope we can retain Cavanaugh and he is not a candidate to be poached.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:07 AM   #185
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
https://www.pro-football-reference.c...es/DelRJa0.htm

Del Rio came up as a linebackers coach for the 2000 Ravens defense.

In 2002 he became d-coordinator Carolina, led them to the #2 D (in yards) that year. 2003 became Jags head coach.

After the Jags in 2012 he became DC with the Broncos. 3 seasons as Broncos d-coordinator they ranked 2, 19, and 3 in yards allowed. 4, 22, and 16 in points allowed, and 16, 16, 14 in takeaways (lower is better).

My #1 choice is Leslie Frazier, but I'd settle for Del Rio after Haslett, Barry, and Manusky. GD Jay Gruden couldn't pick a defensive coordinator for shit.
well that's much better than I thought...Cool. Im good

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:09 AM   #186
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Im fine with the Rivera hire and honestly dont know much about 95% of the coaches and coord out there but ...

only 3 winning seasons in 9 years with Carolina.

Is he like a John Harbaugh? Doesnt call off or def plays and is just a leader of men? Not that a "leader of men" isnt a bad type of HC to have. We saw what happened when we had an offensive minded but too easy going type HC in Gruden.

Rivera will bring accountability and (been reported) that he is good and interested in knowing the players off the field. But are we leaving the offense ingenuity and adaptability to a 32 year old Kevin OConnell? I hope we can retain Cavanaugh and he is not a candidate to be poached.
Cavanaugh and Rivera have coaches together in the past.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:10 AM   #187
EdmundDorf
The Starter

With a defensive HC like Rivera it does not bother me much who he chooses as the DC as it will be his choice of guys who are going to run a system with him overseeing it..... the OC I think is far more important and one where Rivera has not set the world on fire in the past, maybe that is why he liked the Redskins job with KOC in the job already, a guy highly regarded in the league and reportedly on the top of Josh McDaniels OCs list should he get a HC job
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:28 AM   #188
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Adam Schefter: Jack Del Rio will be the Redskins new defensive coordinator
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:37 AM   #189
Schneed10
A Dude

Jack Del Rio resume:

- in 2002, joins Carolina Panthers as defensive coordinator, defense finishes ranked 2nd in yards allowed, compared to 31st in the year before. (overlaps with current Panthers GM Marty Hurney that year, who took over as GM of the Panthers in 2002 as his first GM job)

- in 2003 becomes the head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Defense finishes 6th in yards allowed, compared to 20th in the year before.

- in 2012 becomes the defensive coordinator of the Denver Broncos, they finish 2nd in yards allowed, compared to 20th the year before.

There were of course other stops in there. But like Rivera, a clear track record of immediate defensive improvement in the first year.

Worth noting of course that in 2015 Wade Phillips replaced him as defensive coordinator and put together an all time defense. A lot of Broncos fans would say Del Rio's defenses were not aggressive enough - too bland - rushing 4 and not blitzing enough.

If Chase Young is a part of the front 4, I don't think we'll have to blitz much. Regardless, this is leaps and bounds beyond Greg Manusky. HTTR
Old 12-31-2019, 11:39 AM   #190
MTK
\m/

We've got some grownups in the building folks
Old 12-31-2019, 11:41 AM   #191
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

The dream is having a front 4 that can generate so much pass rush you don't need to blitz. Historically, the best teams that have done that have won SB's (2011 Giants, 2007 Giants, 2000 Ravens immediately come to mind).

It's too early to call but if your front 4 can't generate enough pass rush you have to blitz. Seems that's where Del Rio has gotten into trouble.

I recall with Jacksonville early on he had a fantastic d-line with Marcus Stroud and John Henderson.

We'll see what he's able to do with the pieces we have and the pieces incoming, but I'm more optimistic about him than I ever was about Manusky, or Barry, or Haslett.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:50 AM   #192
SunnySide
Playmaker

Yes, getting pressure on 4-5 man fronts seems to be one of the requirements for a dominant D in the current NFL. We have the personnel for it. The ingredients are there, especially w adding a Chase Young.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:53 AM   #193
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
The dream is having a front 4 that can generate so much pass rush you don't need to blitz. Historically, the best teams that have done that have won SB's (2011 Giants, 2007 Giants, 2000 Ravens immediately come to mind).

It's too early to call but if your front 4 can't generate enough pass rush you have to blitz. Seems that's where Del Rio has gotten into trouble.

I recall with Jacksonville early on he had a fantastic d-line with Marcus Stroud and John Henderson.

We'll see what he's able to do with the pieces we have and the pieces incoming, but I'm more optimistic about him than I ever was about Manusky, or Barry, or Haslett.
Correct and with Young, Sweat, Allen, Payne, and Ionnadis I feel that we can have a rotation of 4 who can get pressure without blitzing now that we don't have a complete idiot as a DC

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:53 PM   #194
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
I am pretty sure Bruce Allen getting the boot helped Rivera's decision.

Rivera wouldn’t even come here if Bruce Allen was around in any capacity. He wasn’t the only HC and GM candidates who said they were only interested if BA was gone. Bruce had a very poor reputation in the NFL and look how his mismanagement wrecked people’s careers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:10 PM   #195
Warthog
The Starter

Ron Rivera Thread

I think this is a turning point for the Redskins in the Snyder era. Snyder used a secret group of very good NFL guru’s to plot his course. In the past he hired a “yes man” so he and his lackey could be part of draft and FA acquisition. Both these toadies (Cerrato and Allen) had weak NFL knowledge, which is why we had so many FA and draft blunders.

Now there is no “yes man”. Snyder and his advisors are making deliberate and smart moves to change the team’s culture and management. Rivera will control this draft and FA pickups this spring. We are in a very good position. Getting rid of deadwood FA will get us $80-90 million in cap money. I think we’ll get an elite TE FA and some more DB. I think they will try to resign Scherff and Trent Williams. Draft wise the team has that incredible #2 pick. It’s either Chase Young or a boatload of picks from a desperate team - can’t go wrong either way!

I’m cautiously optimistic that Snyder will stay at the strategic level and just sign the checks. Rivera will evaluate the scouting department (Kyle Smith) and the cap guru for the draft. Rivera will help choose the GM and VP, so there will be NO repeat of the lackey-type of selection of before.

I’m excited to see what other coaches are hired? O’Connell at OC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote