Please forward this to jim haslettusdownagain

Advertisements
Old 09-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #182
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Re: Orakpo and Carriker Done for Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc65 View Post
Trying to make the best of a bad situation. Now is the time to implement a new defensive scheme in my opinion. Why not go with a 4 man front of Kerrigan-Bowen-Cofield-Jackson with steady substitutions?

I'd like to see more nickel as a base D with Crawford as the primary n-back. Teams are passing over 60% of the time, and a 4-2-5 would seem to be a better fit in today's game. Gomes or Meriweather would be used as a hybrid linebacker-safety to stop the running game and cover the tight end.

Also now is be the time to go with a steady press-man cover scheme with Wilson covering the #1, Crawford-Griffin #2, and Hall the slot or back. Having 2 safeties gives protection against the deep ball still, and Hall is always in position to blitz or help with run support. Have to disrupt receivers' patterns to throw timing off, and play a more aggressive, physical brand of football without all out blitzes leaving the secondary vulnerable.

It's all about utilizing talent with positive matchups. Keeping the 4 man front fresh throughout the game while minimizing linebacker coverage responsibilities seems the best fit for the current roster in my honest opinion.
It's a solid argument. Our dline personnel are undoubtedly (still) better suited for a 4-3 defense, and the LB group would be an easy switch back as London is the key to it anyway.

I remember putting three safeties on the field for certain packages in years past too. Was it under Blache or Haslett?
Old 09-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #183
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
It's a solid argument. Our dline personnel are undoubtedly (still) better suited for a 4-3 defense, and the LB group would be an easy switch back as London is the key to it anyway.

I remember putting three safeties on the field for certain packages in years past too. Was it under Blache or Haslett?
Blache's Cobra package.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #184
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Blache's Cobra package.
Ahhhh good memory sir. Was it successful? I seem to remember guys around here liking it...
Old 09-24-2012, 04:09 AM   #185
jdc65
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Please forward this to jim haslettusdownagain
Yes, this defense is a mess, but I think the scheme should be better utiliized to minimize the coverage deficiencies. The league has caught on to what Haslett is about, and exploiting his scheming and playcalling in my honest opinion. He's not fooling anyone, and the back end players aren't good enough to overcome being outcoached.
jdc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:23 AM   #186
RGIII

Run defense has been solid on average thus far. I don't really think it's as easy as swithing to the 4-3. Guys just need to dig deeper. That's leadership's responsibility to motivate.
RGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:06 AM   #187
jdc65
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post

I agree, they need a 4 man front with this group, whether the ends are standing or touching dirt. The team is effective against the run, but not at all against the pass. This team would be better with 3 corners I think, given the roster.

Blache used 3 corners in 08 mostly, using Springs or Hall replacing linebacker M.Washington frequently, and that was the last good defensive team. They have pretty much stunk since then, but this year is an abomination. Blache used 3 safeties more in 09, but they were not nearly as good.

I have to say, from a personnel standpoint, that this roster is better than the 2008 defensive roster in my honest opinion. It is more of a passing league now however, and that is why I would implement a 4-2-5 as a base. Robinson can come in as a 3rd linebacker on occasion, but Riley and Fletch are every down players.
jdc65 is offline   Reply With Quote