Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Skins getting heat again over name issue

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Thoughts on the pending Redskins name change?
It’s time, the name is offensive 4 9.52%
I’m tired of hearing about it so change it 17 40.48%
Keep the name at all costs 16 38.10%
No strong opinion either way 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2020, 01:35 PM   #181
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Re: Skins getting heat again over name issue

What are some choices for new names?

I see RedTails in this thread. That sounds ok.

I've heard Warriors on NFL channel on Sirius/XM. I don't know.

Have there been others?

Gotta keep the color scheme. Hopefully the NFL and Dan are smart enough to leave that alone.

The only thing I can think of is silly, but PigSkins comes to mind. We already have fans wearing pig snouts. And have the Hogs. A Pigskin is a football. Can you keep the fight song with this? HTTP?? The internet already has this abbreviation, doesn't it? Ugh .... I don't know.

It's obvious though that this will probably be the last season for HTTR and all things associated with it.

This reminds me of when Ole Miss was changing their mascot in 2010 from Colonel Reb, to a black bear. But there was a student group trying hard to get the school to adopt Admiral Ackbar from Star Wars as their mascot. Famously, he said "It's a trap!!!" in one of the movies in that trilogy (Return of the Jedi?). https://collider.com/espn-star-wars-...kbar-ole-miss/

Anyway ... there's a chance to have the fans lead this name change. Why not someone from this board?
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #182
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Nike is the biggest hypocritical piece of shit company in the world.

I mean this sincerely; Go Fuck Yourselves ASSHOLES!!

Haven't bought anything Nike in 10 years probably, and never will again. This was already in effect before this product pull.
Fuck those sweatshop abusers!! Hypocrites!!

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:50 PM   #183
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervis_Griffith View Post
What are some choices for new names?

I see RedTails in this thread. That sounds ok.

I've heard Warriors on NFL channel on Sirius/XM. I don't know.

Have there been others?

Gotta keep the color scheme. Hopefully the NFL and Dan are smart enough to leave that alone.

The only thing I can think of is silly, but PigSkins comes to mind. We already have fans wearing pig snouts. And have the Hogs. A Pigskin is a football. Can you keep the fight song with this? HTTP?? The internet already has this abbreviation, doesn't it? Ugh .... I don't know.

It's obvious though that this will probably be the last season for HTTR and all things associated with it.

This reminds me of when Ole Miss was changing their mascot in 2010 from Colonel Reb, to a black bear. But there was a student group trying hard to get the school to adopt Admiral Ackbar from Star Wars as their mascot. Famously, he said "It's a trap!!!" in one of the movies in that trilogy (Return of the Jedi?). https://collider.com/espn-star-wars-...kbar-ole-miss/

Anyway ... there's a chance to have the fans lead this name change. Why not someone from this board?
The Hogs!!

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 07-03-2020, 01:57 PM   #184
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

The Hogs or the Skins

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:58 PM   #185
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I don't want to be named something another pro team already uses. We have the coolest name and logo in sports. To go from that to some retread name would be really shitty.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:07 PM   #186
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

I like “The Nation” if we are forced to change. The Nation vs The Cowboys and we stomp their ass!! The Nation includes all Native American tribes in the US.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 07-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #187
coggs
Special Teams

I also heard they have been told they could not use the RFK site for a stadium if they do not change the name. Are they looking to move out of FedEx?
Old 07-03-2020, 02:35 PM   #188
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Folks we need to admit, this isn’t about offending Indians...it’s about offending white progressive people who find it their job to tell others you should be offended. Let’s start being 100% about this for once.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:37 PM   #189
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by calia View Post
And some clearly do not view it that way. There are members of the African American community that use the N word too, but that doesn’t make it less offensive. Again, my view is that there are people that find it offensive (and I don’t see any need to debate the relative proportion of the community that does), and that’s easily enough for me to say there’s no need to use it.

I don’t get the need to defend the name. It’s the least important thing about the team to me. Heck, I care more about the use of burgundy and gold than the name.

At this point, it feels inevitable (and I believe it should) and folks will have to decide whether a name change is enough to change their loyalty. Personally, I don’t get that, but so be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With today's announcement it is inevitable, there's no way they make a second announcement after the review and say "we did our review and find that the name is not offensive."

The money flow involved has ensured an announcement will be coming soon that the name will be changed. The dollar is the almighty bottom line. Dan will pretend to care about feelings towards the name because now it's fucking with his bottom line.

I'm not gonna defend it anymore, I'm just a simple man who loves the burgundy and gold, and I'm still gonna be rooting for this squad for the rest of my life. My opinion is irrelevant when discussing whether the majority of Native Americans are truly offended by the name. But can we not act like us and the rest of America is going to go back to ignoring the plight of modern Native Americans when this is done? The federal government doesn't give two shits about N.A.'s. Trump doesn't even give one shit, has he even tried to help them with the corona issues or any of the other major issues plaguing them today? Once we rid all the sports teams of their names, they are going to go back to being out of sight and out of mind (it's a problem my fellow "woke" liberals have, like changing street signs and taking down statues, it's a step but still doesn't resolve the biggest issues facing society today).

My biggest hope is that this team doesn't end up with some dumb shit nickname like Wizards, or Warriors. Come up with a name that honors something but still retains some spirit, a historical reference, or something else. Washington Americans? garbage. Washington Redtails? Honoring the Tuskegee Airmen? Way better. I still think they'll go with something completely different just to break all association with Redskins though.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:41 PM   #190
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Folks we need to admit, this isn’t about offending Indians...it’s about offending white progressive people who find it their job to tell others you should be offended. Let’s start being 100% about this for once.
For once I agree with you, but even if only 10-20% of Native Americans are offended, they still exist. Don't act like every Native American is cool with it even if the majority are.

The reality though is this discussion is happening because $620 billion worth of corporate money told 3 major Redskins sponsors to do something about it. If they walk, everyone else won't be far behind. And Dan can't have his new stadium in DC if the name isn't changed. I got $20 that says the name gets changed and DC probably gives the RFK land to the Redskins at a deep discount or for free in exchange for less tax dollars going to the stadium.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:48 PM   #191
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
For once I agree with you, but even if only 10-20% of Native Americans are offended, they still exist. Don't act like every Native American is cool with it even if the majority are.

The reality though is this discussion is happening because $620 billion worth of corporate money told 3 major Redskins sponsors to do something about it. If they walk, everyone else won't be far behind. And Dan can't have his new stadium in DC if the name isn't changed. I got $20 that says the name gets changed and DC probably gives the RFK land to the Redskins at a deep discount or for free in exchange for less tax dollars going to the stadium.
If we move back to RFK it would make the name change way more easy to take. Go back to RFK AND NEVER LEAVE THERE AGAIN!!!
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:48 PM   #192
metalskins
The Starter

I would feel better about a name change if it truly was about the Native Americans, but it's not. It's about the cancel culture movement by the extremist left. A name change does nothing to help with the poverty issues and alcoholism that the tribes deal with. In fact this movement will see to it that any historic ties back to the Native American people are completely severed so they can conveniently sweep it under the rug as if it never existed. Hence, nothing to remind them of the NA's so that they won't feel bad for doing nothing of substance for them.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:53 PM   #193
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
I would feel better about a name change if it truly was about the Native Americans, but it's not. It's about the cancel culture movement by the extremist left. A name change does nothing to help with the poverty issues and alcoholism that the tribes deal with. In fact this movement will see to it that any historic ties back to the Native American people are completely severed so they can conveniently sweep it under the rug as if it never existed. Hence, nothing to remind them of the NA's so that they won't feel bad for doing nothing of substance for them.
Agreed. Name changing, removing historical references like statues/streets is easy, actually doing something of substance that would help them will most likely never be done, even if Biden becomes president. Once all references to them are gone, we can all pretend like we did something nice for them though.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:53 PM   #194
OnceWeWereKings
The Starter

It's really unfortunate, but I think a name change is coming. Money talks...and its writing a thesis right now. The real question is just how stubborn DS is..and for once I hope hes as stubborn as 2013.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:56 PM   #195
OnceWeWereKings
The Starter

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCL-Eslj...=1tc393a2td1c2