Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Smoot lays the smack down (Skins/Bills) - mattyk edition

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-31-2011, 04:02 PM   #181
Gary84Clark

Re: Smoot lays the smack down (Skins/Bills) - mattyk edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Smackdown - unrealistic expectations and the lockout.

I think as fans we all probably wanted to believe that this team would take a big step forward this year. Maybe not big enough to get in the playoffs, surely not big enough to do anything if we made it; but at least a big enough step to look competitive and feel good about what we could accomplish in 2012 after acquiring a few more pieces.

Then came the 3-1 start, and again as fans, naturally a lot of people started "drinking the koolaid" and having visions of taking the division and having a big playoff run...I think I even saw the word Superbowl and Redskins in the same sentence a few times about three weeks ago.

The big issue to me, is I don't think there is any question that the lockout hurt this team in a bad way. If you look around the league, the teams that are doing well are the teams that did well last year or were starting to put it together towards the end. They had less to work on - more cohesion...Most of the teams that had major personnel moves, scheme changes, and new pieces to plug in are the ones that are struggling. There are a few exceptions, but overall it is what it is. This team needed a full offseason to put it all together and since they didn't get it, they were forced to make the best decisions they could with the players they had, and hope the guys learn on the fly and stay healthy while doing it. Well, good fortune and health lasted about four weeks and that was it. Now you see this team decimated with injuries and the rest of the division getting healthy. This will be a long season if you are expecting to see this team win a lot of games. However, if you are satisfied with seeing progress despite the youth, inexperience and devestating injuries I think you can still look forward to that...
Sorry Chief but the Shannahans need to be held accountable. They are mean spirited bullies that hold every one else accountable except themselves. Hubris is not a good character quality. In other words, they can dish it, let's see if they can take it.
Gary84Clark is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-31-2011, 04:08 PM   #182
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Remarkable how everyone is lauding Harbaugh for sticking with Smith when last year when someone here mentioned that maybe Smith was getting a bad rap, the general response was "He's garbage. He totally sucks!"

That said, credit Harbaugh for above all else not asking Smith to do too much
Smith has been pretty bad his whole career but to be fair he gets a new OC every single year. Yeah they're not asking him to do too much cause they know he's limited, just like our QB's, they're limited... and I wouldn't ask them to do too much.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #183
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I don't remember me saying anything negative about Alex Smith, and I think I have been the only one pointing out that Harbaugh stuck with him (b/c you know how much everyone hates Jason Campbell). I am sure a lot could still go wrong with the 49ers, but I think Harbaugh could have easily done what Shanahan did and try to find his own QB. I don't think we could have been better off with one more year of Jason Campbell, but given how well the team drafted in the second round this year, I am sure they could have done something better with that 2nd rounder than wasting it on McNabb.
I did say "general response"

Jevan Snead is out there. I'm not saying...I'm just saying

Seriously though...we need a QB!
Old 10-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #184
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I did say "general response"

Jevan Snead is out there. I'm not saying...I'm just saying

Seriously though...we need a QB!
I do remember people giving you a lot crap when you talked about Alex Smith though. You need to wear your "I told you so" t-shirt. LOL.

By the way, Chase Daniel just got a bit teary-eyed about your Snead comment. He was hoping you would start the "let's-trade-for-Chase" bandwagon. :headbange
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:28 PM   #185
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Jevan Snead is a temporary fix for the rest of the year. Next off-season we add Daniel and Bradford!
Old 10-31-2011, 05:34 PM   #186
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Not sure if this has been posted yet:

"Mike Shanahan had never suffered a shutout loss as an NFL head or assistant coach … until Sunday, when the Buffalo Bills blew his Redskins away to the tune of a 23-0 embarrassment."

Good times...
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:40 PM   #187
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
Not sure if this has been posted:vomit::

"Mike Shanahan had never suffered a shutout loss as an NFL head or assistant coach … until Sunday, when the Buffalo Bills blew his Redskins away to the tune of a 23-0 embarrassment."

Good times...
Hey but its a rebuilding season, so ther's your excuse :vomit:
Its like when you make an ass out of yourself but you were drunk so its all good.

Same song and dance around here for 20 fn years.

HTTR. You wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:41 PM   #188
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I do remember people giving you a lot crap when you talked about Alex Smith though. You need to wear your "I told you so" t-shirt. LOL.

By the way, Chase Daniel just got a bit teary-eyed about your Snead comment. He was hoping you would start the "let's-trade-for-Chase" bandwagon. :headbange
The interesting thing about Alex Smith:

2010 TQBR: 40.0

2011 TQBR: 42.7

Alex Smith isn't a radically changed player. What's changed is the quality of his defense and running game, and thusly the 49ers are more ABLE to limit his effect on the game.

This is pretty much the exact same player SS thought could be successful here. But you know what? Look at the next guy on the 2011 below Smith and his rating.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #189
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyRedskin View Post
Hey but its a rebuilding season, so ther's your excuse :vomit:
Its like when you make an ass out of yourself but you were drunk so its all good.

Same song and dance around here for 20 fn years.
Actually, there is no excuse. A blocked FG and a voluntary decision to skip the FG at the end of the game? Don't tell me he didn't have the chance to avoid it.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:50 PM   #190
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post

Alex Smith isn't a radically changed player. What's changed is the quality of his defense and running game, and thusly the 49ers are more ABLE to limit his effect on the game.

This is pretty much the exact same player SS thought could be successful here. But you know what? Look at the next guy on the 2011 below Smith and his rating.
Or the guy above him.
R.I.P. #21
Old 10-31-2011, 05:52 PM   #191
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post

Who cares about some nerdy stat that ESPN came up with? Let's give the guy some credit. He's thrown 9td's and only 2Int's and is completing 63%. That's winning football. I realize that he's not in an offense where there's a lot of risk but still, Smith deserves some praise for his play in a new offense w/out any mini camps/Ota's.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:13 PM   #192
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Who cares about some nerdy stat that ESPN came up with? Let's give the guy some credit. He's thrown 9td's and only 2Int's and is completing 63%. That's winning football. I realize that he's not in an offense where there's a lot of risk but still, Smith deserves some praise for his play in a new offense w/out any mini camps/Ota's.
I think the point was that the 49ers have figured out a way to get the most out of a guy that had a history of not being very talented. Unlike our team where they have a scheme and stick to it, no matter how bad the talent in the team is.
R.I.P. #21
Old 10-31-2011, 06:43 PM   #193
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Alex Smith finished 2010 strong, and it's carried over into 2011. But I thought he'd be worth going after because I feel he's proven enough to warrant someone taking a chance on him. Have yet to see that from Beck
Old 10-31-2011, 07:10 PM   #194
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Harbaugh is the reason for Smith's improvement. Having been an NFL QB and coaching him is why he has improved so much. He was a #1 overall pick so he's got some talent.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #195
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Skins didnt want Ponder or gabbert obviously so Kerrigan was a great pick IMO
I'm too lazy to go look but was Andy Dalton off the board prior to our second pick Jenkins? I know NT was important and he'll be a beast but I wanted Dalton and still think he would have been perfect for us.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote