Merged: The Movies Thread

Parking Lot

Old 10-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #1846
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Re: Merged: The Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
Anyone hyped about Gravity? Loved Cuaron's Children of Men... this one should also have some crazy cinematography.
I am, Cuaron has done some of the most cinematically beautiful movies and this one doesn't look to disappoint on that aspect.

Advertisements
Old 10-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #1847
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Anyone hyped about Gravity? Loved Cuaron's Children of Men... this one should also have some crazy cinematography.
Gravity: 2 hours of Sandra Bullock spinning in space.

I saw Prisoners last night. Good movie. Worth seeing. Makes you think afterwards. Didn't feel like 2 1/2 hours. Paul Danos an underrated actor.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #1848
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

Just saw Gravity last night, IMAX 3D. The movie was breathtaking. I literally had my mouth open for much of the movie.

That being said, some gaping plot holes- and some cheesy plot lines. If you're the type that watches a movie and any slight inconsistency ruins the movie for you, probably won't love it.

If you can suspend your disbelief slightly and buy into the plot; it will blow your mind. I left awestruck and thrilled. Worth the $20 price tag.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #1849
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Ok. I saw Gravity.

Let me start by saying it was a good movie.

That said; it was predictable (in my opinion), and for a movie thats an hour and a half long (short by todays standards) it still had parts that were boring/dragged on. Is this movie worth a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes? Hell no. Is it worth seeing? Yes, its a one of a kind movie. Is it worth spending the extra money for 3D? Yes. If I were you and you want to see this movie, see it now, while its in theaters on the big screen and not when it comes out on DVD/TV/Netflix/Redbox (unless you have a humongous 3D TV with Great surround sound). Did I see why the critics like it? Sure, but a lot of these critics need to pump the brakes on this. Its a good movie but I wouldn't say its one of the greatest all time nor one of the best of the year.

I'd give it a 7 out of 10.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #1850
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Sound of My Voice seems to split people- no in between. Tell me what you think of it after seeing it. The duo's new one is called 'The East.' A bit too heavy handed for my taste, but I applaud the originality. Think a hipster Fight Club meets V for Vendetta.

Glad you liked the Imposter. I felt the exact same way when I watched it and saw myself slowly rethinking things as the story unfolded.
I thought Sound of My Voice was entertaining. Pretty damn good. I really like how they set the audience up and like how they just drop the ending and leave a lot of questions on the table. My question was the black lady really with the Justice department?

Couple documentries I watched on the netflick streaming I really enjoyed "I like Killing Flies" and "Last Days Here"...I gotta friend really into the band Pentagram and Last Days really sets up the story well and the rebirth.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #1851
That Guy
Living Legend

way way back is decent. a bit slow.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #1852
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I thought Sound of My Voice was entertaining. Pretty damn good. I really like how they set the audience up and like how they just drop the ending and leave a lot of questions on the table. My question was the black lady really with the Justice department?

Couple documentries I watched on the netflick streaming I really enjoyed "I like Killing Flies" and "Last Days Here"...I gotta friend really into the band Pentagram and Last Days really sets up the story well and the rebirth.
So happy you dug Sound, Chico! I think that viewers who let their minds take them on the film's journey tend to enjoy it more. As for the lady (highlight for spoiler):
I think she was from the future. Did you notice the first scene with her? She wakes up on the plane in a startled manner, as if she's readjusting to where she is. Also, what kind of government official has to check her hotel room for bugs before opening a sealed file with a photograph?

Just my theory, of course. Like you said, the ending it definitely up for interpretation.

Both of those documentaries sound great. I just added Last Days Here to my queue (I'll try to find the other one). Have you peeped "A Band Called Death"?

my blather
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #1853
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
Just saw Gravity last night, IMAX 3D. The movie was breathtaking. I literally had my mouth open for much of the movie.

That being said, some gaping plot holes- and some cheesy plot lines. If you're the type that watches a movie and any slight inconsistency ruins the movie for you, probably won't love it.

If you can suspend your disbelief slightly and buy into the plot; it will blow your mind. I left awestruck and thrilled. Worth the $20 price tag.
This pretty much sums up my experience. I'm not much of a scientist, so I guess I threw my suspension into orbit with Gravity. If you're going to see this film, definitely watch it in the theater... in 3D (which I rarely ever suggest). For an escapist plot, the emotional resonance worked. A freaking plus.

* I also appreciated how the VFX crew was listed in the credits right after the director and DP (even before the actors).

my blather

Last edited by itvnetop; 10-11-2013 at 05:35 PM.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #1854
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

I'm going to try to see Captain Phillips sometime this weekend. Supposed to be great. Also a friend of mine mentioned Blue Caprice as a must see. Thats the one on the DC snipers.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:30 AM   #1855
JPPT1974
Special Teams

Went and saw Prisoners as it was 9/10! Jackman and Gyllenhaal were the best!
Old 10-12-2013, 12:59 AM   #1856
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPPT1974 View Post
Went and saw Prisoners as it was 9/10! Jackman and Gyllenhaal were the best!
Yeah, that was a good flick. I thought it was better than Gravity. Also Paul Dano is good at playing the creepy/weird characters.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #1857
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Ok. I saw Gravity.

Let me start by saying it was a good movie.

That said; it was predictable (in my opinion), and for a movie thats an hour and a half long (short by todays standards) it still had parts that were boring/dragged on. Is this movie worth a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes? Hell no. Is it worth seeing? Yes, its a one of a kind movie. Is it worth spending the extra money for 3D? Yes. If I were you and you want to see this movie, see it now, while its in theaters on the big screen and not when it comes out on DVD/TV/Netflix/Redbox (unless you have a humongous 3D TV with Great surround sound). Did I see why the critics like it? Sure, but a lot of these critics need to pump the brakes on this. Its a good movie but I wouldn't say its one of the greatest all time nor one of the best of the year.

I'd give it a 7 out of 10.
I agree with this 100 percent.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #1858
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Just saw Gravity yesterday, I was kinda meh going into it but it turned out pretty decent. I didn't get to see it in 3D though as me and my bro couldn't wait for the next showing.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #1859
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Gravity was absolutely awful. Not sure what people are enjoying about it. If you want incredible visuals just go to JPL.NASA.gov. That's some REAL beauty.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #1860
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Hey look we're floating in space ...

I dunno, I think I will pass.