Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #166
irish
Playmaker

Re: Darrell Green does not support Redskin name change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
irish I think you're really oversimplifying things here. And you're underestimating what it means to change the identity of an organization.
I dont think I am. If anything I think you are making this a bigger issue than it is. I lived in DC when the Bullets changed to Wizards and nothing changed. Same lousy team, same rivalries, same fans. If anything I think its easier for the team to maintain its identity since they are staying in Washington. I can see moving from Houston to Nashville creating an identity issue but going from Washington Redskins to Washington whatevers, not so much.

Advertisements
Old 10-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #167
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I dont think I am. If anything I think you are making this a bigger issue than it is. I lived in DC when the Bullets changed to Wizards and nothing changed. Same lousy team, same rivalries, same fans. If anything I think its easier for the team to maintain its identity since they are staying in Washington. I can see moving from Houston to Nashville creating an identity issue but going from Washington Redskins to Washington whatevers, not so much.
Yes but this is the equivelant of the los angeles lakers changing their brand, and not the bullets. While the Redskins may not be one of the more successful teams on the field, they are off of it.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #168
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Exactly!! The Bullets. The Redskins are no Bullets, never will.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 10-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #169
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
There will be a minimal cost to change the name (mostly signage around the stadium and some logos, etc on the website but that will be more than offset by the millions of dollars worth of shirts, hats, and other swag that will be sold to the fans who will have to have the newest gear.
Actually it would be roughly $20-25 million per the latest estimates. And the Redskins would have to incur all of that cost. They split merchandise revenue with the rest of the NFL teams. That revenue is I believe in the mid to high 30s. So it's not boat loads of money they'd making when you think about it
Old 10-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #170
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
I think that might be true for people who live in DC and the surrounding areas.... but right or wrong, if you're an out of town Redskins fan and they completely change the identity of the organization, I don't know if you're 100% a shoe in to stick around after.

I think its going to be very critical what they change to.

Not that this would happen, but if they wen't from the Redskins to say the Kings or something and completely changed everything, I could see some people who don't live in the DMV area switching allegiances to maybe their local team or taking a step back from football all together. Not saying its right/wrong but I think that's very realistic.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #171
SkinsGuru
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Actually it would be roughly $20-25 million per the latest estimates. And the Redskins would have to incur all of that cost. They split merchandise revenue with the rest of the NFL teams. That revenue is I believe in the mid to high 30s. So it's not boat loads of money they'd making when you think about it
i the Oneida nation wants it changed . . . they they should be willing to pay for the change . . .
Old 10-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #172
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
What I think you arent considering is the fact that as this saga goes on the Skins will experience diminishing returns on their name and merchandise as people and companies beging to stay away from associating with an organization who's identity appears to support a racist and bigoted slur. (personally I dont think that but the perception is growing that is what the name is)

There will be upfront costs in the name change and I doubt the Skins will have to eat all the costs on this, but the long range returns will be greater as the Washington whatevers compared to the Washington Redskins.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #173
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
What I think you arent considering is the fact that as this saga goes on the Skins will experience diminishing returns on their name and merchandise as people and companies beging to stay away from associating with an organization who's identity appears to support a racist and bigoted slur. (personally I dont think that but the perception is growing that is what the name is)

There will be upfront costs in the name change and I doubt the Skins will have to eat all the costs on this, but the long range returns will be greater as the Washington whatevers compared to the Washington Redskins.
Well.....it is a ...Chicken Shit world we live in
Old 10-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #174
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711 View Post
I think that might be true for people who live in DC and the surrounding areas.... but right or wrong, if you're an out of town Redskins fan and they completely change the identity of the organization, I don't know if you're 100% a shoe in to stick around after.

Not that this would happen, but if they wen't from the Redskins to say the Kings or something and completely changed everything, I could see some people who don't live in the DMV area switching allegiances to maybe their local team or taking a step back from football all together. Not saying its right/wrong but I think that's very realistic.
Heck, in town Skins fans have switched to Balt because the Skins have been so irrelevant for so long. People will stay or go based on winning and losing not a name.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #175
MTK
\m/

Quote:

As an out of town fan myself if they changed the name, logo, and colors, I'd be inclined to say what am I even rooting for anymore? It's not the team I grew up with.

If they made a change to the name and kept the same colors and maybe used a throwback uni or something that at least kept with the history of the team, I think I'd be alright with it.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #176
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
As an out of town fan myself if they changed the name, logo, and colors, I'd be inclined to say what am I even rooting for anymore? It's not the team I grew up with.

If they made a change to the name and kept the same colors and maybe used a throwback uni or something that at least kept with the history of the team, I think I'd be alright with it.
How isnt it the team you grew up with? If they changed name, logo, and colors for next year how isnt it the same team you are rooting for this year?
Old 10-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #177
MTK
\m/

Quote:
How isnt it the team you grew up with? If they changed name, logo, and colors for next year how isnt it the same team you are rooting for this year?
Players come and go, the logo and colors are the true identity of the franchise.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #178
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Players come and go, the logo and colors are the true identity of the franchise.
Seinfeld was right, people really do root for clothes.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #179
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
I agree 100% with Matty (especially since I now live in the area).

I think its very critical, if the name changes, how they go about doing it. I think it really needs to pay homage to the past (Hogs/Skins/Braves) and keep the same burgundy and gold theme...

I really think the name/identity means a lot more to people than you're really taking into consideration.

I'm sure there are a ton of fans who agree 100% with what you're saying too... maybe even a vast majority... but I think its very critical how they approach a change.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #180
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

Exactly how I feel.
Closed Thread