Our next coach??

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-24-2009, 01:25 PM   #166
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Our next coach??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Even with the Shanhan rumors flying, I wouldn't rule out Jerry Gray or Greg Blache being considered as candidates behind closed doors.
Gray possibly, though they are saying he's almost as good as gone to Memphis. As for Blache, I'm not sure he'd be (or should be) considered as a long term candidate. And as I understood it, the idea of interim coach was brought up to him and he declined that.

Advertisements
Old 11-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #167
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Yeah that's the general belief it seems. That Snyder will win the Shanahan sweepstakes and he'll come here as President/Head Coach (Cerrato could remain but in a non-decision making role); Bob Slowik will be the defensive coordinator, Kyle Shanahan will be the Asst. Head Coach-Offense/heir apparent. If Shanahan (Mike) wants the job, it's basically his.

Would be interesting though if the Texans fire Gary Kubiak. Which apparently is probably likely if they don't make the playoffs Maybe he comes here?
But why would Snyder ( or anyone else) give Shanahan total control when he had that at Denver and did a below average job? I just don't understand the love for this guy. Great game day coach/coordinator but let's get the right personel people on board and let them pick the players.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #168
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
So basically is Shanhan comes here, that puts Campbell on the market so he can make a push for Leinart.

But you think they get rid of Gray/Blache too?

Also, could this possibly rejuvenate Portis' career for at least a season?
If Shanahan comes here, then all indications are that Bob Slowik will take over as defensive coordinator so I don't know where that would leave Gray and Blache.

Yeah Leinart is a possibility, but there's also the possibility that they go for the less expensive route and make a trade for Rosenfels who would hold down the fort for a year.

It's so hard to say right now. So many possible openings coming up this spring-Bills, Browns, Bears, Raiders, Texans, Bucs, Panthers, Redskins, Cowboys, Jaguars, Seahawks-all these teams and more could be going after new coaches.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:36 PM   #169
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
But why would Snyder ( or anyone else) give Shanahan total control when he had that at Denver and did a below average job? I just don't understand the love for this guy. Great game day coach/coordinator but let's get the right personel people on board and let them pick the players.
I don't get it either. I think basically what's happening is there are a lot of teams who want him as the head coach and he's basically saying well if you want that then you have to take the general manager in me too. And if they say no, then it's no skin off his back. He's getting paid for two more years by the Broncos.

I've said many times I'm not an advocate of bringing him here because it would mean he's in charge of personnel. I'd feel more comfortable with him as coach and Vinny calling the shots.

I'm hoping we lose out to the Cowboys, Chargers, Texans, Bears, whoever. Sure, people will say "Typical Snyder meddling couldn't land him the big name." But this is a case where the big name isn't the better name.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:09 PM   #170
MTK
\m/

Just heard Marty on NFL radio say he has no interest in coming back for a GM role and as far as a head coach job goes, he said something like "after 30 great years I don't want to go down that road again". He really doesn't sound interested in coming back at all.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:19 PM   #171
freddyg12
Playmaker

Yesterday was the first time I've felt that Zorn has a chance of coming back. I'm not saying it's probable, but I think it might be greater than we think.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:19 PM   #172
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
i dont want shanahan as our HC and GM but im not sure i'd label the roster he put together in denver below average.

brandon marshall - 3rd rounder?
clady - 1st rounder, looking like a franchise LT
cutler - probowl, got 2 1st rounders for him
dumbervil (sp?) - league leader in sacks right now, 4th rounder?

im not sure exactly when and where these guys and others were drafted, and i havent done any research on the broncos, but thats a pretty good list off the top of my head. (again i am not sure if this is entirely accurate and im sure im leaving out some other solid picks/signings as well as some busts).
Old 11-24-2009, 02:21 PM   #173
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
Yesterday was the first time I've felt that Zorn has a chance of coming back. I'm not saying it's probable, but I think it might be greater than we think.
I gotta tell you, I've been feeling that way for about two or three weeks. I think there's a great chance that he goes rather than stays, but I wouldn't be at all shocked if Jim Zorn is coach next year.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #174
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
i dont want shanahan as our HC and GM but im not sure i'd label the roster he put together in denver below average.

brandon marshall - 3rd rounder?
clady - 1st rounder, looking like a franchise LT
cutler - probowl, got 2 1st rounders for him
dumbervil (sp?) - league leader in sacks right now, 4th rounder?

im not sure exactly when and where these guys and others were drafted, and i havent done any research on the broncos, but thats a pretty good list off the top of my head. (again i am not sure if this is entirely accurate and im sure im leaving out some other solid picks/signings as well as some busts).

Sorry, but that looked pretty funny. I believe the spelling is Dumervil. Hard to remember though.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:36 PM   #175
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

You know what's kind of funny? Just a month ago Jerry Gray was rumored to be our interim head coach the rest of the season...and now he might be the one gone before season's end.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:47 PM   #176
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
You know what's kind of funny? Just a month ago Jerry Gray was rumored to be our interim head coach the rest of the season...and now he might be the one gone before season's end.
Isn't it so he can take a head coach job in the college ranks and get there in time to start recruiting?

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #177
over the mountain
Playmaker

where gray going? i heard you say something about memphis . .
Old 11-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #178
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Right, it's looking more and more likely that before Thanksgiving he'll be named the next coach at Memphis (thanks in no small part to Pepper Rodgers and Fred Smith). I don't know when he would actually go though
Old 11-24-2009, 04:07 PM   #179
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

If Shanahan comes here it will be the Joe Gibbs role.
Structure is like this
Owner: Snyder
Preisident- Head Coach Shanahan
Head Flunky- Cerrato.
The final decision will be Shanahan on who stays, who goes. I don't automaticly think that JC will be gone if Shanahan comes in here.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:12 PM   #180
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
where gray going? i heard you say something about memphis . .
Yup Memphis