Supreme Court vacancy

Debating with the enemy

Old 10-22-2020, 01:41 PM   #166
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Supreme Court vacancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Yes, the Dems did lower the threshold to simple majority for federal judicial appointments.

Yes, McConnell rightfully warned the Dems this will come back to bite them

Yes, the Dems kept the blue slip policy

Yes, McConnell lowered the threshold for Supreme Court picks to a simple majority

Yes, McConnell did away with the blue slip policy

Yes, McConnell refused to allow vetting of Garland with 10 months to go in Obamas term so "the american people have a say"

Yes, McConnell then ignored the "american people have a say" by rushing Barretts confirmation just days before an election

Yes, Dems have warned McConnell that this will comeback to bite him

Yes, one day one of the party's will do away with legislative filibusters thereby creating a simple majority rule in the Senate for legislation and policy (and that will be a sad for every American, regardless of political affiliation)
So you good with putting the rules back in place?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-22-2020, 01:54 PM   #167
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
So you good with putting the rules back in place?
I honestly dont know.

if trump wins and Rs retain control of the senate ... they will continue to rule "because they can"

if biden wins and D control the Senate .. they will be out for blood

best case (outside a dem sweep lol) -- biden wins, Rs retain control of the Senate and Rs force legislation to a crawl and we just do government shutdowns, furloughs and stop gap spending bills.

things are getting nasty and trump has been gasoline to a simmering fire. trump has to go. i dont think the framework of our country can stand 4 more years of him.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:59 PM   #168
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Both parties have contributed to where we are, and both parties have been hypocrites. In real terms, IF the country wasn't as divided as civil war times, The most constitutional and legitimate action that the president and senate would do when a SC dies would be to nominate and confirm a justice as quickly as possible so that the court's term would not be hampered. Because both sides have played politics with judicial nominations for the past 15 years that ship has sailed though.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:41 PM   #169
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Supreme Court vacancy

Oh God. I cannot with the both sides bullshit. There is only one loudmouth racist asshole spouting lies and conspiracy theories and endangering our democracy and the Republicans married the mother fucker.
The end.

Edit: i was going to delete and say that
If you referring just to the supreme court than it is a little easier to swallow but i like what i wrote and it is still bullshit. The Republicans are the ones that talked out of both sides of their asses.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:57 PM   #170
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Oh God. I cannot with the both sides bullshit. There is only one loudmouth racist asshole spouting lies and conspiracy theories and endangering our democracy and the Republicans married the mother fucker.
The end.

If you referring just to the supreme court than it is a little easier to swallow but i like what i wrote and it is still bullshit. The Republicans are the ones that talked out of both sides of their asses.

Lololololol...

He Gets Us
Old 10-23-2020, 01:28 AM   #171
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
The end.

This is my favorite edit of all times. I edited to confirm how much I liked my original post and how right I was. This is a scientific breakthrough in the editing community.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:57 AM   #172
MTK
\m/

F it, pack the court, term limits, whatever, all bets are off going forward

The quest to entrench political conservatism in the country’s highest court comes with a steep cost.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:13 AM   #173
SunnySide
Playmaker

^^ Thats a good article. I didnt know republicans have seated 14 of the last 18 justices. Kinda fucked up considering this country is majority democrat. Senate allocation of seats just favors rural states so much.

Lets see how things play out. I dont think they will ever over turn Roe but they will allow undue restictions that abortion will effectively become a States rights issue. States can slap on the hospital requirements and bans after 15 weeks.

obergefell (2015 - same sex) .. this case took a long time through the Courts. I would protest if they tried to overturn this and I imagine they will. this would mean same sex couples would not have the same rights and protections under estate laws, hospital visitation, health insurance, pensions, etc.

If you are cheering on this rushed Barrett confirmation .. youre cheering on same sex couples being discriminated against. im assuming they will overturn obergefell but its a safe assumption.

McConnell has certainly made the SCOTUS a political stick now.

SCOTUS has one foot in the grave in terms of being apolitical and revered by the american people. I see it as a stained institution now.

But I want to see how they rule and the mental gymnastics they go through first before supporting blowing it up and packing the court and making it a kangaroo court.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:18 AM   #174
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Lol...pack the court is your answer? JFC...dilute the institution

Harry Reid fuck it all up, not McConnell period.

If there is a stain, at least understand who stained it. Democrats have a history there...read up

He Gets Us
Old 10-27-2020, 10:41 AM   #175
SunnySide
Playmaker

Sure chico .. well, at least we agree its stained.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:00 AM   #176
MTK
\m/

Fact check: Republicans, not Democrats, eliminated the Senate filibuster on Supreme Court nominees
Old 10-27-2020, 11:42 AM   #177
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

And yet when(if) the democrats try to put on two justices (the 2 "stolen" seats) they will loudly proclaim the Republicans made them do it, and there will be no "fact check" stating the sequence started back in the early 2000s. We have arrived here because both parties stopped evaluating candidates on legal merit and instead on political preference. And one only need to look at how the senate voting has changed to see who started that.
Thurgood Marshall 11 no votes out of 80
Thomas 52-48 (10 dems for 2 reps against)
Ginsburg 96-3 (38 reps for)
Breyer 87-9 (31 reps for)
Roberts 78-22 to be chief justice ( 22 dems voted against 20 voted for)
Alito 58-42 (3 dems)
Sotomayor 68-31 (9 reps)
Kagan 67-31 (4 reps)
Garland no vote ( personally i wish trump had nominated him instead of Kavanaugh. Maybe would have brought unity )
Gorsuch Kavanaugh Barrett - all party line

It is pretty clear from Thomas on Dems have held SCOTUS and judicial nominees hostage and have counted on the court system as an ally their political agenda. Trump/McConnell seem to have frustrated them a bit on that part.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:17 PM   #178
SunnySide
Playmaker

Those are good points CRed, really good points I did not know ... I think since McConnell made it a simple majority we will see just straight party voting going forward as we saw with Gorsuch, Kavanaugh and Barrett.

I think a few dems voted yay for Gorsuch(?) ... not that it mattered bc Republicans had the 51 votes and Pence as any tie breaker.

points that cannot be denied:

1. 14 of the last 18 justices have been placed by republicans
2. McConnell stole Garland's seat leading to the contentious Kavanaugh confirmation .. which I think was the breaking point for everyone.
3. its broken and will only become more broken
Old 10-27-2020, 01:47 PM   #179
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Funny how the picture last night of a black man whose parents were sharecroppers swearing in a mother of 7 to the highest court isn’t getting the proper due.

But when the media is completely deranged and dishonest as ours, what do you expect? Anybody defending the media this point is mental midget. The media never hesitated to push a story of Brett Kavenaugh being a gang rapist. Pathetic

He Gets Us
Old 10-27-2020, 02:00 PM   #180
MTK
\m/

What's proper due exactly? Every news show I flipped by last night had a story on it. What did you want a prime time special?