Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Chris Cooley for a 1st and a 3rd -- would you do it?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #166
Big C
Mr. Brightside

Re: Chris Cooley for a 1st and a 3rd -- would you do it?

it would be a good trade, but there might be a lot of backlash in the organization, getting rid of a guy like cooley. no loyalty.

Advertisements
Old 12-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #167
Meks
Pro Bowl

i'd much rather see us using davis and cooley at the same time ... davis can easily split out wide or line up in the slot...

theres no need to get RID of an offensive weapon... having both these guys on the field, and Tood Yoder(who catches the hell out of passes and blocks well) to spell them is a dengerous, dangerous recipie at TE next year.

no way u trade a guy like cooley. no loyalty as said above.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:51 PM   #168
Big C
Mr. Brightside

davis was recruited by USC as a wide receiver and then converted to a tight end, he was one of the top ones in the country. im sure he could line up in the slot, and im sure hes had plenty of experience with that.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:57 PM   #169
rbanerjee23
The Starter

with the way fred davis is playing right now....still no lol Cooley's too good to trade away and I want to make sure Davis isn't a one hit wonder, technically he's only really played well the last 5 games or so...wait and see

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #170
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

We would have one of the best red zone offenses when Cooley comes back, assuming of course that Sherm stays. If they would play Marko Mitchell then our red zone offense would be scary. People keep talking about Davis, and they rightfully should, but they forget that during Sherm's first game against the Eagles on MNF Cooley was poised for a big game. I think that it's in our best interest to find a way to make the 2 TE offense work.

On top of I think people are also forgetting the fact that if a CBA goes through Cooley will count $4 million against the cap if he's traded.

Plus even if we were offered a 1st and 3rd there is no way I would want to accept it if Vinny was calling the shots. God knows what those picks would turn into, maybe a Safety or QB.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:10 PM   #171
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
We would have one of the best red zone offenses when Cooley comes back, assuming of course that Sherm stays. If they would play Marko Mitchell then our red zone offense would be scary. People keep talking about Davis, and they rightfully should, but they forget that during Sherm's first game against the Eagles on MNF Cooley was poised for a big game. I think that it's in our best interest to find a way to make the 2 TE offense work.

On top of I think people are also forgetting the fact that if a CBA goes through Cooley will count $4 million against the cap if he's traded.

Plus even if we were offered a 1st and 3rd there is no way I would want to accept it if Vinny was calling the shots. God knows what those picks would turn into, maybe a Safety or QB.
That's what I've been thinking. 2 good TE's in the redzone offers some options.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:22 PM   #172
franklinhimself
Special Teams

"Plus even if we were offered a 1st and 3rd there is no way I would want to accept it if Vinny was calling the shots. God knows what those picks would turn into, maybe a safety or QB."

If it was Eric Berry I probably would ask why the hell did they do that for about 2 seconds and then realize we've got Sean Taylor II.
franklinhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #173
wilsowilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
it would be a good trade, but there might be a lot of backlash in the organization, getting rid of a guy like cooley. no loyalty.
I would be furious if we traded Cooley even though it would be a good value trade.

He is a tremendous asset to the organization in such a broad range of ways.
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:03 PM   #174
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
He was nowhere near as productive as Cooley and missed a lot of playing time due to motorcycle accident and then a staph infection.
Regardless, he was still seen as one of the better players at his position.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:07 PM   #175
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
No dice for anything less than 1'st round or second and third rounder. Honestly though why would anyone in their right mind want to trade him? If nothing else this season has shown it's worth having two quality TE on your team. I love Yoder but he isn't going to make the big catches down the field and YACs like Davis is now. Great TE aren't a dime a dozen folks and 2 is better than one.
The question for me right now is why not? Why not when you have an up and comer in Davis who is younger and cheaper, and if you could get multiple picks in return for CC it would only make sense to see what's out there. I'm not saying you push hard to deal him, you just toss a line out there and see what you bring in.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:28 PM   #176
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post
I would be furious if we traded Cooley even though it would be a good value trade.

He is a tremendous asset to the organization in such a broad range of ways.
Agree 100%. He's charismatic, funny, durable (never missed a game before this year), hard working, has glue for hands, is a perennial pro bowler, he's only 27 and is on a hall of fame pace numbers-wise. He's our best offensive player IMO. There is no downside to Chris Cooley at this point.

It would be hard to refuse a 1st and 3rd, but at the same time I think it's kind of moot to argue. I don't have stats in front of me, but when do teams trade a 1st and 3rd for a TE?

Yeah, Fred Davis has had a few solid games, and looks like he'll be very good. But we don't know what we're going to have going on with WRs next year. Tana and El could be gone. Kelly and Thomas are still largely unproven (although I think we've got something with DT). Let's keep two very good TE's for at least one more year. It can only help the passing game.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:30 PM   #177
Big C
Mr. Brightside

i dont think the front office will even consider trading cooley, no coach would want to get rid of someone like cooley.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:32 PM   #178
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
The question for me right now is why not? Why not when you have an up and comer in Davis who is younger and cheaper, and if you could get multiple picks in return for CC it would only make sense to see what's out there. I'm not saying you push hard to deal him, you just toss a line out there and see what you bring in.
Honestly, I think a lot of people are letting Cooley's likability cloud their judgement on this one.

As a pure football move if someone offered multiple picks with one being a 1st or high 2nd rounder and you are also able to dump Cooley's contract, it really isn't debatable. Especially with him coming off a season ending injury.

Davis is younger, faster, healthier and cheaper.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:44 PM   #179
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket$ $traight View Post
Honestly, I think a lot of people are letting Cooley's likability cloud their judgement on this one.

As a pure football move if someone offered multiple picks with one being a 1st or high 2nd rounder and you are also able to dump Cooley's contract, it really isn't debatable. Especially with him coming off a season ending injury.

Davis is younger, faster, healthier and cheaper.
I totally agree.

I love the guy just like anyone else, but we would be stupid to not bite on a killer deal, if it were offered.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:16 AM   #180
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
To me though, as big a reason for looking to move Cooley as Davis' improved play is Cooley's trade value. Of which Rock has none
What? are you crazy? have you not been over to the "Ganther/Rock" thread recently? It's so obvious Rock is the best thing we have as a RB right now. Everyone wants him. How on earth would you think he has no trade value?

I hate questions like these. If it's just one or just the other then yes I'm looking for youth. But I don't think Cooley's legs are done yet. I'd much rather see what this team looks like with 2 excellent TE vs. throwing one away with out even exploring how dangerous we could be with 2.

I'm all for "Rebuild". Get rid of the old and bring in the new. But are we going to see a true "Rebuild"? I'm betting we see more of the same. SSDD. Only under a new HC.

Plus if the team picks a LT in the 1st round and a RT in the second, the third is taken from the Jarmin supplement pick, As far as I'm concerned we can pick OL across the board. Ganther has turned out to be a nice RB. Most likely JC will be tendered the one year because of the CAP being gone. Basically we are set at QB, RB, WR, TE for atleast one more year. My only concern is getting another RB and QB for the future if JC doesn't stay. All the young defensive line players are starting to shine. The young CB's are starting to come into their own. We might need a FS and a true SAM or SLB. Wilson is looking good but maybe if the LB's we picked up last year don't pan out we will need to bring in some UFA's and take a look at them.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote