Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Chris Cooley

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Chris Cooley

He's a true Redskin and means so much to the community surrounding the DMV. Once Fred Davis went down with an Achilles injury, Cooley was called by the HC. But since Cooley has been back, he hasn't hardly played due to his lowly position on the depth chart and he hasn't caught a pass this season yet.

I have nothing against Logan Paulsen and I'm sure Mike and Kyle know what they're doing by giving Paulsen playing time and developing him. On most NFL teams though, Cooley would be a starter and Paulsen would be a backing him up. I see the Redskins doing the same thing with Chris Cooley as they did with Mike Sellers last season. I hope Cooley isn't fading out. He should be getting more playing time during games.

Thoughts?
Old 12-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Re: Chris Cooley

Cooley was brought back as insurance when Fred Davis went down. That's all. He no longer has the wheels to get open and be the playmaker he used to be. He's in there basically for blocking purposes. Don't get me wrong, I love Chris Cooley! I think he was a top notch playmaker for the 'skins at one point, but his time has passed him buy I'm afraid. Logan Paulsen has performed very well for us. He's not as athletic as Fred Davis, but he's made the plays when the 'skins needed him to.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
He's a true Redskin and means so much to the community surrounding the DMV. Once Fred Davis went down with an Achilles injury, Cooley was called by the HC. But since Cooley has been back, he hasn't hardly played due to his lowly position on the depth chart and he hasn't caught a pass this season yet.

I have nothing against Logan Paulsen and I'm sure Mike and Kyle know what they're doing by giving Paulsen playing time and developing him. On most NFL teams though, Cooley would be a starter and Paulsen would be a backing him up. I see the Redskins doing the same thing with Chris Cooley as they did with Mike Sellers last season. I hope Cooley isn't fading out. He should be getting more playing time during games.

Thoughts?
Cooley was out for several months, and said that when he came back the offense was quite different. Maybe he gets going soon, I have seen him on the field I think, but he's not a 1st team starter on most teams anymore, I don't think
Old 12-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
The Goat
Pro Bowl

I'm not so concerned about Paulsen getting reps, but the fact Paul sees the field (instead) of Cooley is really dumb. Cooley is better in every facet of the game than Paul.

This is a Mike thing i.e. picking favorites, be they coaches or players, that don't make much sense because you don't see production. It's partly why I doubt he ever achieves much success in pro football again.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
I'm not so concerned about Paulsen getting reps, but the fact Paul sees the field (instead) of Cooley is really dumb. Cooley is better in every facet of the game than Paul.

This is a Mike thing i.e. picking favorites, be they coaches or players, that don't make much sense because you don't see production. It's partly why I doubt he ever achieves much success in pro football again.
Unfortunately, that's just not true anymore. Paul is much faster and has proven to get open quite easily down field. Where he struggles is catching the stupid ball, and even when he does, he always seems to lose his footing and can't pick up yac. But, Niles is much more athletic and has the potential if he could ever gain some concentration.

Cooley is no longer a big play making threat. He was one of my favorite players, but even I realized Cooley's just not the Chris Cooley that was elusive and was a consistent target for Ramsey, Brunell, and anybody else who played QB for the 'skins from '05 to now.

In regards to not seeing production, how much production did you see from Chris Cooley during pre-season? Zilch.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Unfortunately, that's just not true anymore. Paul is much faster and has proven to get open quite easily down field. Where he struggles is catching the stupid ball, and even when he does, he always seems to lose his footing and can't pick up yac. But, Niles is much more athletic and has the potential if he could ever gain some concentration.

Cooley is no longer a big play making threat. He was one of my favorite players, but even I realized Cooley's just not the Chris Cooley that was elusive and was a consistent target for Ramsey, Brunell, and anybody else who played QB for the 'skins from '05 to now.

In regards to not seeing production, how much production did you see from Chris Cooley during pre-season? Zilch.
I was waiting for someone to make a post like this. If you go back and watch the Ravens game you'll see Cooley burst off the LOS just as quickly as Garcon etc. He's moving faster than I've seen him in years.

Secondly, Cooley's talent for getting open was never based on speed or quickness (which he has plenty of) but on football IQ, reading the coverage/zone and then dropping into the gaps. Afterwards he's a stud at rumbling for yards after contact.

Cooley is a better blocker, route-runner, pass-catcher and far superior after the catch. Paul can run to the sidelines faster lol.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
I was waiting for someone to make a post like this. If you go back and watch the Ravens game you'll see Cooley burst off the LOS just as quickly as Garcon etc. He's moving faster than I've seen him in years.

Secondly, Cooley's talent for getting open was never based on speed or quickness (which he has plenty of) but on football IQ, reading the coverage/zone and then dropping into the gaps. Afterwards he's a stud at rumbling for yards after contact.

Cooley is a better blocker, route-runner, pass-catcher and far superior after the catch. Paul can run to the sidelines faster lol.
Hate to open the whole Shanahan thing with you, but what Shanahan has said is that Cooley is doing everything that's asked of him. In Shanahan speak, that means Cooley is earning my trust. I am pretty sure that earlier in his time with Mike, Cooley hadn't been earning it, but living more off his fan reputation. If he keeps putting in the time and he is better, you will see him get the calls, but Shanahan isn't going to keep anyone just based on potential. (of course we all remain dumbfounded by Banks)
Old 12-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Hate to open the whole Shanahan thing with you, but what Shanahan has said is that Cooley is doing everything that's asked of him. In Shanahan speak, that means Cooley is earning my trust. I am pretty sure that earlier in his time with Mike, Cooley hadn't been earning it, but living more off his fan reputation. If he keeps putting in the time and he is better, you will see him get the calls, but Shanahan isn't going to keep anyone just based on potential. (of course we all remain dumbfounded by Banks)
I think you're probably 100% right, but how/when/why did Paul earn Mike's trust over Cooley?
Old 12-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:

If this is true why did no other team pick him up when he was released? I think the game has past him by and he is lucky to be where he is right now.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
If this is true why did no other team pick him up when he was released? I think the game has past him by and he is lucky to be where he is right now.
Actually, if I recall right, there were few teams who called Cooley about signing him but Cooley said that all those offers/teams didn't feel right for him to accept. He really want to play for Redskins, and only Redskins.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Wasn't Cooley holding out for a return to Washington or a starting spot?
R.I.P. #21
Old 12-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #12
redskin29633
Special Teams

Cool Re: Chris Cooley

Quote:

I think this sums it up. Maybe because I am a Cooley fan, I try to watch Paulsen as much as I can to see what he is doing that CC can't do. Frankly Paulsen is a lousy blocker; his technique is bad and he holds frequently. Cooley is better as a blocker, by far. At least I remember him that way, hard to tell this season, since he has not played much.

I think Cooley is also the better receiver but we don't target the TE position that much, so again it is somewhat hard to judge. Paulsen also looks awkward trying to catch the ball. Paulsen is bigger and perhaps he can do a better job with high throws.

Bottom line, Paulsen is Mike's guy and so he plays. Coach's prerogative. I would love to see Cooley more, but darn, things have gone so well the last four games, it is hard to get overly excited about the situation. I think Cooley would improve the offense, if he were used more often and effectively, but winning cures most problems so I'm not too worried about the situation!
Old 12-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #13
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskin29633 View Post
I think this sums it up. Maybe because I am a Cooley fan, I try to watch Paulsen as much as I can to see what he is doing that CC can't do. Frankly Paulsen is a lousy blocker; his technique is bad and he holds frequently. Cooley is better as a blocker, by far. At least I remember him that way, hard to tell this season, since he has not played much.

I think Cooley is also the better receiver but we don't target the TE position that much, so again it is somewhat hard to judge. Paulsen also looks awkward trying to catch the ball. Paulsen is bigger and perhaps he can do a better job with high throws.

Bottom line, Paulsen is Mike's guy and so he plays. Coach's prerogative. I would love to see Cooley more, but darn, things have gone so well the last four games, it is hard to get overly excited about the situation. I think Cooley would improve the offense, if he were used more often and effectively, but winning cures most problems so I'm not too worried about the situation!
It is because you are a Cooley fan....Paulsen is by far the best blocking TE on the team. Yes, he makes mistakes now and then but when he is on he eats up DEs and LBs like no other. Get NFL Rewind and watch the tapes.

-Jenkins
Old 12-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #14
redskin29633
Special Teams

Cool Re: Chris Cooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
It is because you are a Cooley fan....Paulsen is by far the best blocking TE on the team. Yes, he makes mistakes now and then but when he is on he eats up DEs and LBs like no other. Get NFL Rewind and watch the tapes.
I have the last four on DVD, so I'll try to look more objectively. Even if you are correct, I think Cooley is deserving of the Niles Paul snaps. His prominent role on the field (as receiver & return man) convinces me that Mike is not infallible in his judgments.

You are absolutely right about looking stupid. I freely admit that part of the fun of being a fan is projecting yourself into the coach's role, especially for those of us who are too old to even dream about playing.

Bottom line, I'm not concerned about it. Nevertheless, Paulsen did look as if he held a lot against the Ravens, but he was only called once or twice. If he can hold and get away with it, then I suppose it qualifies as skillful blockling.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #15
MTK
\m/

Cooley has been on the field plenty. Mostly blocking though.