Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Ukraine mega thread

Debating with the enemy

Old 04-29-2014, 03:57 PM   #166
over the mountain
Playmaker

Re: Hey there's about to be a war in Ukraine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
An interesting thing, as we levy these various sanctions. Russia has pegged (or is about to in May) the ruble back to a gold standard, and is on the verge of only selling their oil for gold or rubles.

I will admit, this is an interesting tactic, and if they get enough buy in, maybe it blows up the underbelly of the US banking system. Certainly there are a lot of fearmongers out there that have been warning of it from China for a long time.

I still have this bad feeling that Putin is just playing the western leaders like a fiddle. But maybe he's just a maniac.
i read china has agreed to use the euro with russia oil. this goes back to iran wanting to have OPEC use euro 4-5 years ago. smart move if they could ever get all the moving (and sometimes warring) parties n'sync.

Advertisements
Old 05-02-2014, 03:09 PM   #167
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

BBC News - 'Many dead' in Ukraine offensive in Sloviansk - Turchynov

Ukraine going on the offensive in some areas against the pro-Russian rebels. No doubt Russia is behind this crap.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #168
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

More than 40 killed in fire, clashes in Ukraine's Odessa | Reuters

it's looking to get rougher, of course this was between rival soccer fans so you know it will get out of control.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #169
HailGreen28
Playmaker

HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:30 AM   #170
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Swearing off bad language: Russia bans cussing in films, books, music - CNN.com

Wasnt gonna start a new thread, but to me this is crazy.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:58 AM   #171
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
The funny thing about this situation is Putin could end the instability in Ukraine pretty easily if he truly wanted to. He is just gettin off now and I really think his is measuring more the Europeans than the us. He has his eye on the prize and think he has a lot of wheels in motion not only Ukraine but other ex soviet states. He may feel comfortable enough with his economy to go for it, but he is certainly monitoring the internal pressure upon the Russian economy to see if it could handle more stress.

Also think Putin knows he has a window with Obama but he might not get the same advantage with a republican in the White House.
I think Putin wants Odessa.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #172
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Transcript of press conference with Putin. If he meant what he says, it ought to be easy to get things backed off the edge. Unfortunately, and I tend to think both the West and Russia are guilty in this aspect, once you encourage the extreme, you can't always rein it back in.

President of Russia

I always remember the saying "revolutions consume their own", and I kinda think that's what we are seeing in Ukraine now.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #173
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Transcript of press conference with Putin. If he meant what he says, it ought to be easy to get things backed off the edge. Unfortunately, and I tend to think both the West and Russia are guilty in this aspect, once you encourage the extreme, you can't always rein it back in.

President of Russia

I always remember the saying "revolutions consume their own", and I kinda think that's what we are seeing in Ukraine now.
Putin blamed everything on the Ukrainian government, while absolving Russia of all responsibility. And calls the current government illegitimate, while saying the planned elections shouldn't take place just yet.

Russia already made one naked land grab on Crimea. The same pattern, and denials, are being made on eastern Ukraine now.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #174
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
Putin blamed everything on the Ukrainian government, while absolving Russia of all responsibility. And calls the current government illegitimate, while saying the planned elections shouldn't take place just yet.

Russia already made one naked land grab on Crimea. The same pattern, and denials, are being made on eastern Ukraine now.
I agree with your first and last sentences, but the middle one is wrong on 3 counts:

1) technically the current government is fairly illegitimate, meaning no votes have been held and they came to power not through an election but through popular revolt.

2) he tells the eastern federalists to hold off on their planned referendum (something the West asked him to do)
Quote:
In this context, we appeal too, to representatives of southeast Ukraine and supporters of federalisation to hold off the referendum scheduled for May 11, in order to give this dialogue the conditions it needs to have a chance.
3) he states Russia agrees the scheduled vote on the 25th needs to take place.
Quote:
We must do everything possible to ensure that people in southeast Ukraine understand, feel and believe that after the Ukrainian presidential election on May 24 or 25 their lawful rights will be reliably guaranteed.
The question is the old Reagan adage of trust but verify. He also said that the Russian troops have pulled back, our government says they haven't. Really need an independent party (not that there is one in this case) to show satellite imagery showing whether the tanks and troops have pulled back. Even then it wouldn't take long to be on the road again.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:38 PM   #175
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
I agree with your first and last sentences, but the middle one is wrong on 3 counts:

1) technically the current government is fairly illegitimate, meaning no votes have been held and they came to power not through an election but through popular revolt.

2) he tells the eastern federalists to hold off on their planned referendum (something the West asked him to do)

3) he states Russia agrees the scheduled vote on the 25th needs to take place.

The question is the old Reagan adage of trust but verify. He also said that the Russian troops have pulled back, our government says they haven't. Really need an independent party (not that there is one in this case) to show satellite imagery showing whether the tanks and troops have pulled back. Even then it wouldn't take long to be on the road again.
Thanks for explaining to me what Putin was saying about the election.

I really think Putin is going to try to take Odessa and other productive regions of Ukraine, the same way he sliced off parts of Georgia and Crimea. I think Ukraine has to worry more about Russians inside it's territory leading groups shooting down helicopters and separatist "federalization" mob attacks, than the Russian troops on the border.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:10 AM   #176
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Reports: 100,000 'yes' ballots for referendum intercepted in Sloviansk

Putin trying to rig the votes. Probably about time we either put some serious damaging sanctions against Russia or we send some military over there and dare Putin to strike.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:42 AM   #177
That Guy
Living Legend

if we put troops on the ground and he attacks then what? land war with russia? nukes? americans dying in a ukranian civil war where both sides hate us for being there?

what's the next step after "sending troops" ?
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:54 AM   #178
HailGreen28
Playmaker

How about getting the UN (or EU and us) to send in troops?
Old 05-11-2014, 08:01 AM   #179
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Reports: 100,000 'yes' ballots for referendum intercepted in Sloviansk

Putin trying to rig the votes. Probably about time we either put some serious damaging sanctions against Russia or we send some military over there and dare Putin to strike.
As one commenter said: This is just proof that eastern Ukraine really does want to be part of Putin's Russia. They've already adopted the Russian voting system!

Last edited by HailGreen28; 05-11-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #180
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Academi (formerly Blackwater) now on the streets of Odessa.

That ain't good. I'll post a source later.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote