Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins at Bears Post Game Thoughts

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-20-2012, 03:21 AM   #166
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Re: Redskins at Bears Post Game Thoughts

I didn't see the game. I just watched some highlights. Griffin III has to learn not to hold on to the ball too long. If he doesn't see a spot anywhere to throw the ball, then he should scramble and get as much yardage as he can. Although he was sacked three times, he did complete 5 of 8 pass attempts.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-20-2012, 05:13 AM   #167
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
And I think that's a mistake that the coaches are making.
Griffin has only attempted 14 passes this preseason.
Not only is that very low for rookie QBs, its low for veteran QBs.
Only Mike Vick, Jay Cutler and Alex Smith have thrown fewer passes, and Vick/Culter have only played 1 game.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #168
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Are you counting sacks and scrambles in your total? If they sustained some drives, it would help their cause
Old 08-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #169
IrMitchell
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
I didn't see the game. I just watched some highlights. Griffin III has to learn not to hold on to the ball too long. If he doesn't see a spot anywhere to throw the ball, then he should scramble and get as much yardage as he can. Although he was sacked three times, he did complete 5 of 8 pass attempts.
Lol the highlights NFL Network was throwing out there were literally the 3 worst plays RG3 had all night.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #170
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

Redskins vs. Bears game review (offense) | WashingtonExaminer.com

IMO Good read.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #171
MTK
\m/

Need to Know: Why isn't RG3 passing more? - Rich Tandler's Real Redskins

Quote:
In two games, Griffin is a combined 10 for 14 passing. Last night alone, Andrew Luck attempted 25 passes last night against the Steelers and has 41 attempts in two games. Kirk Cousins has thrown 45 passes in two games, more than triple the starter’s pass attempts.

When you look at the pass-run play call ratio in the 39 snaps that Griffin has played (exclusing the one kneel down at the end of the half in Chicago), has been just about even. In addition to the 14 pass attempts, Griffin has been sacked three times and scrambled after dropping back twice or a total of 19 pass plays. That’s about a 51-49 run-pass, the balance you want when you are getting a young quarterback’s feet under him.

Also, Griffin and the Redskins offense could help themselves by sustaining some drives. Luck and the Colts ran 41 offensive plays in the first half last night because they had 13 first downs. Cousins and the Redkins racked up 18 first downs and ran 39 plays in the second half on Saturday.

Not to worry, Redskins fans. At some point RG3 will get some drives going and people can get back to their old habits of complaining that Kyle Shanahan is too pass happy in his play calling.
I like the little jab at the end lol
Old 08-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #172
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

I felt the only bad thing RGIII really did was try for extra yards on that scramble in the first quarter. Other than that, I felt he made some good decisions. He continues to go through his read progressions, and to buy time with his legs to extend plays. He's not just tucking the ball under and hitting the road.

As far as holding onto the ball too long? Well, actually watch the game before making that assumption. The offensive line was not protecting RGIII at all in that first quarter - Lance Briggs was having a field day out there. I felt considering the pressure Griffin had on him, he made some really good decisions. This will go a long ways for Griff...because I have a feeling this might be another year where the offensive line makes changes (due to injury) throughout the year.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #173
skinsfan69
Living Legend

RG3 had a few misses. The pass to Paul was on him. He threw behind someone on a slant... and the fumble was on him too. The controversy thing is a little ridiculous at this point. Against Indy it would be good to see 25-30 passes.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #174
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

We really need to get Kory L and Chester back. Im not worried bout RG3, im twenty times more worried about the Oline

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #175
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
RG3 had a few misses. The pass to Paul was on him. He threw behind someone on a slant... and the fumble was on him too. The controversy thing is a little ridiculous at this point. Against Indy it would be good to see 25-30 passes.
The pass to Paul was off-target, but not so much that Paul couldn't have caught the pass. Not every pass is going to be dead perfect, so I put some blame on Paul on that one as well.

The fumble, I understand what happened and after looking at the replay of it, the defensive guy (was it Lance Briggs?) made a great play. Griff probably should have just tucked the ball in and scrambled, but it wasn't like he just dropped the ball - he was in the process of passing it.

The controversy thing was just a little joke that Chick Hernandez came up with...but I'm sure somebody will take it and run away with it.

I think RGIII will have a better game against Indy. He'll have at least two and half to three quarters to play, so I see him improving.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #176
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
We really need to get Kory L and Chester back. Im not worried bout RG3, im twenty times more worried about the Oline
Agreed! That is the biggest concern, because the first team OL was getting pushed around a lot in that first quarter.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #177
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Agreed! That is the biggest concern, because the first team OL was getting pushed around a lot in that first quarter.
I hope the starters get a bit of playing time and that things will get better when all the starters play together.

After the Bears game, I really was wondering if the Bills d-line was playing very vanilla or if they are not as good as the Bears. Granted, the Bills game was the first game, but still...Peppers was unstoppable and the rest of the Bears d-line just seem to dominate our o-line.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #178
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Some fans/media really bend over backwards to explain away even the most innocuous observations.

Of course if they extended some drives etc Griffin would have more pass attempts.
But, lets be truthful its preseason not an actual game no one is worried about scheme and pass-run ratio.
The Bills only ran the ball once in the 2st half because obviously they were working on different passing concepts.
That's what pre-season is for to work on stuff.

Tandler's post avoids the most obvious facts: the surest way to get Griffin more pass attempts?
Play him more snaps and in those snaps call more passes.
Like the Dolphins are doing with Tannehill, like the Colts are doing with Luck etc.

The jab at the end can't really be a jab because its a correct observation by the fans.
If your QB is Rex Grossman(turnover machine)/John Beck and the WRs corps lacks talent in the eyes of the coaches (hence Garcon,Morgan out Gaffney) how is a 60-40 pass-run ratio the same ratio of elite passing offenses justified?

I hate it when sports media pisses on my leg then tells me its raining.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #179
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Positives:

Cousins
Aldrick Robinson
2nd String OL
Kehl
Crawford
How about some love for Brandon Banks?

Negatives:

1st string OL (only 2 regular starters)
Cedric Griffin (cut him now) I second that emotion!
RGIII (the OL didn't really help him)
D.Hall (Big mouth, cheapshot who can't tackle)
Not only can't D.Hall tackle, but he won't do it! I'll never forget nor forgive his disgraceful avoidance of Rob Gronkowski. What the hell, cut him too. I wouldn't miss him, no matter what.
Comments above.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #180
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
The pass to Paul was off-target, but not so much that Paul couldn't have caught the pass. Not every pass is going to be dead perfect, so I put some blame on Paul on that one as well.
That pass was clearly on RGIII.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote