Old 09-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #166
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: P90x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Is that a request?
It's a fear.

Sucks about the toe, hope it doesn't derail your workouts like my currently-broken finger.

Advertisements
Old 09-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #167
MTK
\m/

Damn, I though you cared.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #168
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

I started P90X last year in August. I finished it sometime right before Thanksgiving and was very excited about my results. I had lost about 20 pounds of fat and had gained some muscle. It is clearly a quality workout. No big machines needed, no time spent in the gym. Just a few dumbbells, pull up bar, a tv and dvd player. Since finishing it, I have been using it as my regular workout. I change it up so as not to get too used to the workouts I'm doing. Beachbody is coming out with a new version of P90X next year, so I am psyched about that. More than likely, I'll probably be getting it. It has definitely gotten me into shape and I have, for the most part, stayed in shape. Certainly a good thing for someone who is in his mid-thirties.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #169
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
I started P90X last year in August. I finished it sometime right before Thanksgiving and was very excited about my results. I had lost about 20 pounds of fat and had gained some muscle. It is clearly a quality workout. No big machines needed, no time spent in the gym. Just a few dumbbells, pull up bar, a tv and dvd player. Since finishing it, I have been using it as my regular workout. I change it up so as not to get too used to the workouts I'm doing. Beachbody is coming out with a new version of P90X next year, so I am psyched about that. More than likely, I'll probably be getting it. It has definitely gotten me into shape and I have, for the most part, stayed in shape. Certainly a good thing for someone who is in his mid-thirties.
I have a question. I am about to start p90x within the next couple weeks. Now I've done some pretty intense kettlebell workouts, so the intensity I'm not really worried about. However, with Kettlebell its much more lower body based, and I have a very strong base. However, my upper body strength sucks. To the point where I dont even think I can do 1 pull up, and am pretty sure I've never done one in my life... do you think with a lower upper body strength I'd be able to do p90x?
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #170
MTK
\m/

You can use a chair to help assist with pull-ups
Old 10-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #171
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711 View Post
I have a question. I am about to start p90x within the next couple weeks. Now I've done some pretty intense kettlebell workouts, so the intensity I'm not really worried about. However, with Kettlebell its much more lower body based, and I have a very strong base. However, my upper body strength sucks. To the point where I dont even think I can do 1 pull up, and am pretty sure I've never done one in my life... do you think with a lower upper body strength I'd be able to do p90x?
Most definitely! Like Matty said, you can use a chair to assist you with pull-ups. Heck, I have to do it. I do try to do them without, but somedays I can, some days I can't. That is what is great about P90X, there are modified ways in doing the exercises. If you are really struggling with the pull-ups, I would invest in the exercise bands and do pull downs. You will still get a great back workout and it will strengthen more so that you can get closer in doing pull ups.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #172
MTK
\m/

I use a chair too. Without a chair I can't do many at all. Already in a few weeks I've gotten a lot better at them. Modifying is really the key to any of the P90 videos, Tony stresses to not focus on keeping up with them, but rather to do your best and forget the rest. Yeah it's corny, but he's right.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #173
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I use a chair too. Without a chair I can't do many at all. Already in a few weeks I've gotten a lot better at them. Modifying is really the key to any of the P90 videos, Tony stresses to not focus on keeping up with them, but rather to do your best and forget the rest. Yeah it's corny, but he's right.

LOL! Tony Horton has already gotten ya programmed! :thumb:
Old 10-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #174
mredskins
Gamebreaker

I will have to say I like Tony Horton.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #175
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

One other question... what equipment do you absolutely need besides the DVD's? I've heard a perfect push up type thing... a pull up bar, and either dumb-bells or workout bands... is that all? And are those all required?

And does anyone know a good site to pick up the equiptment at?
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:32 PM   #176
MTK
\m/

Pull-up bar, a couple sets of dumbbells, and a mat for yoga. The beach body site sells equipment, their pull-up bar is good. Some people opt for the iron gym that you can pick up in Target, but it doesn't have as many grip positions, but still a quality option.

The push up bars aren't necessary, you can use dumbbells and get the same effect. The bands are optional too. I prefer weights myself.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #177
MTK
\m/

Oh and it's a good idea to pick up a heart rate monitor.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:42 PM   #178
Monkeydad
Living Legend

^ You're talking like an old man now.

Might as well get a pack of Depends too, so we don't have to interrupt our workout to pee.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:09 PM   #179
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711 View Post
One other question... what equipment do you absolutely need besides the DVD's? I've heard a perfect push up type thing... a pull up bar, and either dumb-bells or workout bands... is that all? And are those all required?

And does anyone know a good site to pick up the equiptment at?
You don't need the perfect push-up, you can just do the push ups with them or use your dumb bells. I usually just do push-ups the old fashioned way. I will say this, the perfect push-ups do help take some torque off of your wrists, but they are not necessary.

That is the beauty of P90X. No need for expensive equipment or a gym membership. You can get just as in shape as you want to be in the privacy of your own home.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #180
MTK
\m/

Interesting that some top names in the league do the X in the offseason, including McNabb, Brian Westbrook, Ray Lewis, and Favre.