When is Enough ,Enough?

Debating with the enemy

Old 06-03-2020, 09:45 AM   #1
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: When is Enough ,Enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
For someone that is anti media and you use the "dailywire" as a link ?

Where in your link did it say Mr Floyd deserved to die?
What’s wrong with dailywire? They are a conservative opinion media and opinion website...they explicitly state it.

Adding context and data to the issue.

I haven’t read any opinions backing the police actions in the case of George Floyd...most, like the daily wire, have stated it was murder and the officers involved should be charged.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:27 AM   #2
MTK
\m/

Minneapolis Police Use Force Against Black People at 7 Times the Rate of Whites
Old 06-03-2020, 10:08 AM   #3
MTK
\m/

I find it impossible that race is not a factor in arrests, prosectution, or sentencing.

In order to believe that the criminal justice system would have to be the only known institution in the world to have successfully removed all racial bias from every cop, judge, prosecutor, etc.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:03 AM   #4
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

I don't think his actions in the past dictated his interactions in what happened recently. All accounts already say he was in custody when the incident happened. I also have not seen anything painting him as a saint. The incidents you have mentioned have been documented in stories in WaPo, NY Times, Fox News etc.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:07 AM   #5
MTK
\m/

This blame the media stuff is so tired. Sorry, not buying that people fear police only because of the media.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:22 PM   #6
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
This blame the media stuff is so tired. Sorry, not buying that people fear police only because of the media.
You don't buy a lot of things that make sense. Where do you think people get their opinion of the police from, if they frequently didn't interact with them?
I guess everyone here knew George Floyd or someone who knew him.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:28 PM   #7
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
You don't buy a lot of things that make sense. Where do you think people get their opinion of the police from, if they frequently didn't interact with them?
If someone has a genuine fear of the police I'd guarantee it's from past experience and not from the media
Old 06-03-2020, 12:41 PM   #8
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
If someone has a genuine fear of the police I'd guarantee it's from past experience and not from the media
And you can prove this, how?
Old 06-03-2020, 12:54 PM   #9
MTK
\m/

Quote:
And you can prove this, how?
Common sense
Old 06-03-2020, 01:08 PM   #10
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Bob - you formed your opinion of police through your interactions with them. Your post went through several stories that you have experienced that formed the basis of your opinion.

Why cant that be the same for others?

Why would you think you can have your opinions based on your experience ... but then think everyone else's opinions of police is not from their own experiences but from media news?

The American experience is different for every single person.

Whats good for Bob or what Bob thinks may not be good for Sunny or what Sunny thinks.

We cannot think that all people must think how we think. I dont expect rural middle america to agree 100% with what I (east coast suburban guy) think.

I dont think assume my experience is the same experience that all americans have experienced.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #11
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Bob - you formed your opinion of police through your interactions with them. Your post went through several stories that you have experienced that formed the basis of your opinion.

Why cant that be the same for others?

Why would you think you can have your opinions based on your experience ... but then think everyone else's opinions of police is not from their own experiences but from media news?

The American experience is different for every single person.

Whats good for Bob or what Bob thinks may not be good for Sunny or what Sunny thinks.

We cannot think that all people must think how we think. I dont expect rural middle america to agree 100% with what I (east coast suburban guy) think.

I dont think assume my experience is the same experience that all americans have experienced.
I just think my number of interactions with police was excessively high, even excluding friends and family for someone who doesn't own a rap sheet. I think my girlfriend was in her 40's the first time she interacted with a cop, she got caught in a state police check point, the ones where they check license and registration and look for safety violations. I believe someone opposite of me with number of interactions could be heavily influenced by the media.

All this triggered a bad cop memory, a friend's cop uncle and his two cop buddies. It will have to wait for later.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:39 AM   #12
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Then what else is it? I can not tell you how many times I've been stopped over the years. Not one time did I ever fear for my life. I know for a fact that if I get stopped today I'm not getting shot or killed.

I got pulled over in Del Mar Ca couple years ago. A black man in a nice car, ran a stop sign. Del Mar is about as white a town as you will find. NO BLACK PEOPLE LIVE THERE. The cop gave me a warning cause I was nice to him. He asked me where I was coming from. Instead of getting smart w/ him I said, " my gf lives here and I'm going to her house after a round of golf" .. he asked me what my handicap was cause he played too.

What happened to Floyd was despicable and it angered me. But when a cop pulls you over, you simply have to put your ego aside and comply. They have the power, you don't.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:13 AM   #13
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Then what else is it? I can not tell you how many times I've been stopped over the years. Not one time did I ever fear for my life. I know for a fact that if I get stopped today I'm not getting shot or killed.

I got pulled over in Del Mar Ca couple years ago. A black man in a nice car, ran a stop sign. Del Mar is about as white a town as you will find. NO BLACK PEOPLE LIVE THERE. The cop gave me a warning cause I was nice to him. He asked me where I was coming from. Instead of getting smart w/ him I said, " my gf lives here and I'm going to her house after a round of golf" .. he asked me what my handicap was cause he played too.

What happened to Floyd was despicable and it angered me. But when a cop pulls you over, you simply have to put your ego aside and comply. They have the power, you don't.
I used to go to Del Mar Race Track a couple times every summer from the late 70's to early 90's. You might find a couple black guys at the track. We would always hit the Fish Market if we won some decent money. Looks like it is still in business. I wonder what the locals think of the place? I wonder if it just attracts race track fans and other tourists, a so called tourist trap.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:50 AM   #14
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post

I think that's why we have to have this discussion again. Floyd was in full compliance. He died because a store thought his $20 bill was fake. And as long as these type scenarios keep happening, we are going to have protests (which will eventually be overran by rioters and looters demeaning the cause).
Old 06-04-2020, 10:43 AM   #15
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I think that's why we have to have this discussion again. Floyd was in full compliance. He died because a store thought his $20 bill was fake. And as long as these type scenarios keep happening, we are going to have protests (which will eventually be overran by rioters and looters demeaning the cause).
I highly doubt he was in full compliance. But it doesn't matter if he was or wasn't. He should not have ended up dead.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote