Merged: The Movies Thread

Parking Lot

Old 06-17-2013, 04:12 AM   #1666
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Re: Merged: The Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru View Post
Man of Steel finally wiped away the bad taste left from Superman Returns. Zack Snyder once again shows he knows action movies like few directors IMO. They make some pretty substantial changes to the origin storyline and one key point of the movie will be talked about by comic book enthusiasts aka nerds like myself and the hardcore Superman fans for a longgggg time.

A few friends and I are looking forward to seeing This is the End on Sunday, been hearing really good things.
Saw This is the End today and thought it was great. Definite bromance kinda flick but I thought it was epic.

As a side note since we have some hard nosed athiests, I'm not sure if its the best film for them. It was a little preachy but not offensively preachy. If you're open minded, you'll breeze through this film and have a great time.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #1667
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

I hope you all know that the standard US rating system is out of four stars, not five. Not trying to troll, just saying
Old 06-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #1668
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
I hope you all know that the standard US rating system is out of four stars, not five. Not trying to troll, just saying
Source?
Old 06-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #1669
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Source?
The Best Movie Review Rating System

Suck it trebek
Old 06-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #1670
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
That is their opinion that is the best where does it state it is a standard like you say. What "US" governering film body says it is 4 star?
Old 06-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #1671
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
That is their opinion that is the best where does it state it is a standard like you say. What "US" governering film body says it is 4 star?
It's not a "law" or something. It is most commonly used across the US in major newspapers and TV shows.

Look kid, go to your TV Guide and look up a movie and you'll see that every movie rating is from 0 stars to 4 stars (with half stars in between). Pick up a USA Today or Washington post or New York Times. It's all out of 4 stars.

5 star ratings tend to be with cars, restaurants and hotels. You want a source for that you can go look it up on your own time.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #1672
That Guy
Living Legend

super man is good. not enough explosions or cgi though :P and a bit cheesy.

star trek is better, and i'd check that out first in case you've been living under a rock.

after earth is terrible. will smith got the movie made so his son could star in it, but dude can't act. I saw it cause will smith is really good, but he spends the movie as a supporting actor sitting crippled in a chair. lame.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #1673
That Guy
Living Legend

what standard US rating system? is it an iso standard or a ieee standard? what are the UART opcodes? :P that link you threw up is just an opinion puff piece. meaningless. and pointless.

oh yeah, gatsby, decent, not amazing. I thought the 2010 rap music throughout the party scenes in the first 30 minutes was ridiculous for a period piece, and the casting wasn't a good fit imo. it's faithful to the book though from what i remember.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #1674
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
It's not a "law" or something. It is most commonly used across the US in major newspapers and TV shows.

Look kid, go to your TV Guide and look up a movie and you'll see that every movie rating is from 0 stars to 4 stars (with half stars in between). Pick up a USA Today or Washington post or New York Times. It's all out of 4 stars.

5 star ratings tend to be with cars, restaurants and hotels. You want a source for that you can go look it up on your own time.
The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - IMDb

10 Stars

World War Z - Rotten Tomatoes

Uses a percentage

Seems to me it depends on the "reviewer" not a "standard" as you so proudly seem to have posted by not trying to be a "troll".

Another prime example of you posting misinformation without a source or better yet confusing your belief/guess/ opinion as fact. Please carry on with your worthlessness.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #1675
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by that guy View Post
what standard us rating system? Is it an iso standard or a ieee standard? What are the uart opcodes? :p that link you threw up is just an opinion puff piece. Meaningless. And pointless.

oh yeah, gatsby, decent, not amazing. I thought the 2010 rap music throughout the party scenes in the first 30 minutes was ridiculous for a period piece, and the casting wasn't a good fit imo. It's faithful to the book though from what i remember.
thank you!
Old 06-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #1676
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - IMDb

10 Stars

World War Z - Rotten Tomatoes

Uses a percentage

Seems to me it depends on the "reviewer" not a "standard" as you so proudly seem to have posted by not trying to be a "troll".

Another prime example of you posting misinformation without a source or better yet confusing your belief/guess/ opinion as fact. Please carry on with your worthlessness.
Rottentomatoes created their own rating system to change up from the most commonly used 4 star system. Ditto for imdb althought they didn't create the out of ten rating system, they probably use it to give viewers a wider scale to rate on (ie instead of 3.5 stars it can be anywhere from a 7.5-9.5 on their scale, so they can give their viewers a better comparison of what other movies rate similarly).

All I'm saying is that the five star scale isn't used for movies, it's used for cars, hotels, restaurants. You ever heard of a five star hotel? Or a five star restaurant?

That's all kids. There's your movie lesson of the day.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #1677
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
what standard US rating system? is it an iso standard or a ieee standard? what are the UART opcodes? :P that link you threw up is just an opinion puff piece. meaningless. and pointless.

oh yeah, gatsby, decent, not amazing. I thought the 2010 rap music throughout the party scenes in the first 30 minutes was ridiculous for a period piece, and the casting wasn't a good fit imo. it's faithful to the book though from what i remember.
See the above kid
Old 06-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #1678
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Rottentomatoes created their own rating system to change up from the most commonly used 4 star system. Ditto for imdb althought they didn't create the out of ten rating system, they probably use it to give viewers a wider scale to rate on (ie instead of 3.5 stars it can be anywhere from a 7.5-9.5 on their scale, so they can give their viewers a better comparison of what other movies rate similarly).

All I'm saying is that the five star scale isn't used for movies, it's used for cars, hotels, restaurants. You ever heard of a five star hotel? Or a five star restaurant?

That's all kids. There's your movie lesson of the day.
wtf are you going on about. as long as the rater says x out of 4 or y out of 5 the reader on a Skins site gets the idea. I understood what the other posters were saying who the heck cares if US standard is out of 4 or 5.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #1679
mredskins
Gamebreaker

CultBrennan59 you are a flipping joke. That is your lesson for the day.

Also the standard scale for rating posters on a message board is 5 stars.

CultBrennan59 = .5* out of 5*

Last edited by mredskins; 06-17-2013 at 03:03 PM.
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #1680
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
wtf are you going on about. as long as the rater says x out of 4 or y out of 5 the reader on a Skins site gets the idea. I understood what the other posters were saying who the heck cares if US standard is out of 4 or 5.

That is the funny part there is no US standard he made that up! Like 90% of the crap he spews on here.