Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins Sign RB Ryan Grant/Place Roy Helu Jr. on IR

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #151
Monksdown
The Starter

Re: Redskins Sign RB Ryan Grant/Place Roy Helu Jr. on IR

My favorite part is the quote about the guy that was on the side lines crying after a hit: 'i dont know who i am!' hahaha. Not fast, but hard hitting.

Butkus:
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #152
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Except for a few tackles, most of the hits in that highlight reel show Butkus wrapping up a player and bringing him down. I wish that current defensive players would take away that from Butkus.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #153
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Have you seen films of Dick Butkus hit players? Butkus played at 6'3 245, and was a very powerful hitter. Regardless if the year is 1968 or if the year is 2012, a 245 pound man is a 245 pound man. If Butkus played in today's NFL, his hits would carry the same weight as it did in the time that he played. Jack Tatum was 5'10 200 pounds and without a doubt THE MOST ferocious hitter in NFL history. He once paralyzed a man from the waist down on the gridiron(Darryl Stingley).

The pro game has always been violent. Although the players today are stronger and faster, there were those players way back when who undoubtedly could play with the same viciousness in today's NFL.
Yup Butkus was vicious.
Ray Lewis is a sissy.

If your point is the game has always been violent. I agree - it's one of the reasons I like it.

If your point is that yesterday's players were tougher than today's player. I disagree and believe your suffering from "old man back in the day syndrome". When comparing pre-mega NFL to today's Super-Powered-Entertainment-Driven-Mega NFL, there are lots more things going into these decisions. In part, there is a heightened awareness of how you can be crippled for life after playing the game for 10 years. Does this result in more caution by player? yes. Does having this foresight mean the player lacks toughness? No. I would suggest they are independent of each other. Also, 20 years ago (pre-CBA, Mega-NFL) players were cheap and disposable. Now, not so much. Often times the players aren't the ones making the decision, owners and coaches have too much invested in these guys to let them risk playing with injury. [Show me any comment by Helu indicating he is happy to be going to IR - bet you can't].

If your point is that Helu is a sissy/cream puff. I disagree and say the jury is still out. He apparently had a serious achilles injury over the summer and tried battling through it. Playing at this level, however, requires a performance level slightly higher than that required of safety on a high school football team ... oops, excuse me a starting safety. An injury that slows Helu down a step or two makes him a pedestrian back at best. [ BTW - I too had a foot injury and, while I could do all sorts of mundane workaday sh** and play some back yard football, if I needed speed or quickness, it simply wasn't happening. It wasn't the pain, it was just the foot didn't work right].

Ultimately, just like their have always been vicious hitters, there have always been "tough" guys. Look at Lewis, while I don't particularly like the guy, no doubt he is one of the toughest meanest SOB's in sports. Toughness? Let's talk London Fletcher. Sorry, you got your "back when I was a kid" glasses on which carefully ignore the hundreds of Helu type guys from the 50's-80's b/c they didn't stand out.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #154
MTK
\m/

If you can't run you can't play.

There are some injuries you can't simply tough out and play through.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #155
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
If your point is that yesterday's players were tougher than today's player. I disagree and believe your suffering from "old man back in the day syndrome".
Hahahaha.
My Dad has this.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #156
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Have you seen films of Dick Butkus hit players? Butkus played at 6'3 245, and was a very powerful hitter. Regardless if the year is 1968 or if the year is 2012, a 245 pound man is a 245 pound man. If Butkus played in today's NFL, his hits would carry the same weight as it did in the time that he played. Jack Tatum was 5'10 200 pounds and without a doubt THE MOST ferocious hitter in NFL history. He once paralyzed a man from the waist down on the gridiron(Darryl Stingley).

The pro game has always been violent. Although the players today are stronger and faster, there were those players way back when who undoubtedly could play with the same viciousness in today's NFL.
I may be 41 years old, but I have seen footage of all these guys. Listen I dont want to get hit by Butkus or Ray Lewis. Back than the nutritional science and sports science wasnt what it is today. Training facilities werent what they are today. alot of the guys back than probably had to work in the off season and couldnt train all year long like todays athletes. That being said on a pound for pound basis - yes - I fear the speed, power, and hits of todays NFL more than back than. I never said if Butkus was around today he wouldnt be just as good. But he isnt - if he was this would be a one sided argument.
Also, I dont think that paralyzing a guy makes you ferocious - Stingley was hit in the wrong place - he was unlucky.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #157
53Fan
Franchise Player

I seem to remember a guy named Sean Taylor being feared not so long ago. I seriously doubt Jack Tatum was any tougher than him.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #158
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
2 broken arms and 2 broken legs. No pain, no gain.
What do you mean, he can't play with an amputated foot!?!!?!?!?! GRIND THE BONE DAMMIT!
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:20 AM   #159
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
If he's still breathing he better be out on the field! Injuries be damned. Broke your leg? Put some Robitussin on it and get back out on the f*cking field.

(sarcasm abound)

LMAO.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #160
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
I seem to remember a guy named Sean Taylor being feared not so long ago. I seriously doubt Jack Tatum was any tougher than him.
Well according to some people sean taylor never paralyzed anyone so he wasnt tough. Lol
Old 09-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #161
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I know a lot of former players are suffering from their play on the gridiron during another era. But when they were hurt, they still played. In retrospect to today's players, those former players played through the injuries and the pain. I can't say the same for today's players. Today's players are sissies and I stand by that opinion.

The older player didn't have the knowledge about their bodies as players nowadays!I can tell by your postings that you didn't play the game at a high level,becuase if you had you would know the players today have it twice as hard as ...as you say..."the olden days".
When I played I could head slap, I could nail a player who wasn't looking and I could hit a QB in the chest and drive straight up and not get called for a thing.And lord knows don't get me started on the whole horse coller rule BS.
Remeber like it or not this is their job and if they don't play they don't last long,so the longer you can play and that means taking care of yourself the more they can make.Those former players even admit now they were stupid and are suing the NFL for letting them play hurt.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #162
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Except for a few tackles, most of the hits in that highlight reel show Butkus wrapping up a player and bringing him down. I wish that current defensive players would take away that from Butkus.
Yup,it's called fundimentals and they work.If you watch ,a lot of the players who get hurt have bad form or their head is down when they hit.

watch their heads....

Old 10-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #163
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

I didn't see the game yesterday. Did Ryan Grant play any?
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #164
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
I didn't see the game yesterday. Did Ryan Grant play any?
Bitch ass sissy was inactive
Old 10-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #165
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Bitch ass sissy was inactive
Well played sir.