Vince Young overrated?

Thread Hell

Old 10-30-2007, 02:03 AM   #151
TheBigD
Special Teams

Re: Vince Young overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughHog View Post
IMO Vince Young is the most underrated player in the NFL. All he does is win, yet he's bashed nonstop.
It is because there are people like Jsarno (not intended as insult) who care a good deal about stats. Marino did not win an SB but was voted to the HOF because he had good stats and records that are being broken one after another.

I am with you, he is an underrated player. But shhhh...be quiet, don't let Jsarno know you think he is UNDERRATED, that might give him a heart attack.

Advertisements
Old 10-30-2007, 05:42 AM   #152
dgack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Is there a way to see how many official drops they had? I can't seem to find a place where they keep that stat.

How many drops do you think they had? (keep in mind, just because the ball hits a hand doesn't mean it's a drop, a drop is something that is easily catchable, but not caught.)
washingtonpost.com

You can't break down individual games with this, but you can look at totals in targets and "passes not caught" which is not actually the same as a "drop" since it includes both incomplete passes the receiver couldn't catch and drops the receiver should have caught but didn't.
"To bring a Sherm Lewis in to a Jim Zorn and whoever his offensive coordinator is, it's like bringing in another man to help teach you how to make better love to your wife or something." -- Tre Johnson
Old 11-07-2007, 11:06 PM   #153
jsarno
Franchise Player

Just because I know you guys have been waiting for this:
Vince Young threw for a meezly 110, 0 tds, 2 ints. 25 yards rushing and 1 td.

His qb rating is down to 61.5.
In 7 games, he has thrown for only 855 yards, 3 tds and 8 ints.

FYI, he has a 54.8% comp % in the 4th quarter this year, the worst of all 4 quarters. Also and unimpressive 71.0 rating in the 4th.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:21 AM   #154
bertoskins2
Special Teams

Both have the same weak supporting cast, though vince has a better group of OL right now

campbell maybe is a better passer at this stage, but vince has more intangibles,leadership , a better athlete and improviser which translates into win in the field.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:15 PM   #155
steveo395
The Starter

The Titans win because they have the #2 defense in the league, with the #1 rush defense. They have only allowed 12.6 points per game in the games where Vince Young started. Remember Kyle Orton in 2005? He won tons of games, but nobody said it was because of him.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #156
CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR
Impact Rookie

not a big fan of Vince but they do keep on winning. Think he a ok QB
Old 11-09-2007, 11:56 PM   #157
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo395 View Post
The Titans win because they have the #2 defense in the league, with the #1 rush defense. They have only allowed 12.6 points per game in the games where Vince Young started. Remember Kyle Orton in 2005? He won tons of games, but nobody said it was because of him.
Exactly.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:35 PM   #158
Campbell17
Impact Rookie

In his second year, he is as good as any QB in the NFL after Brady/Manning, he is in the mix with Romo, Big Ben, Favre, Eli, Brees, etc. I think he is the next big QB on the rise, and will be looked at as # 1 in 5 or so years.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:43 PM   #159
DiehardSkin88

vince young is the most over rated qb in the league
Old 11-10-2007, 12:46 PM   #160
Campbell17
Impact Rookie

nope, it's Eli
Old 11-10-2007, 01:09 PM   #161
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell17 View Post
nope, it's Eli
Considering there are a TON of people that criticize Eli and NONE that do Young, I am afraid you're wrong. A lot of people say Eli sucks, including Giants fans, how many do you hear that say Young sucks????

Give it time though, Eli started with a ton of hype and took a lot of time before people called him overrated, the same will happen with young. People are still dazzled by his legs and overlook his shortcomings with his arm. Vick's luster also died out, Young's will too.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:25 PM   #162
Campbell17
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Considering there are a TON of people that criticize Eli and NONE that do Young, I am afraid you're wrong. A lot of people say Eli sucks, including Giants fans, how many do you hear that say Young sucks????

Give it time though, Eli started with a ton of hype and took a lot of time before people called him overrated, the same will happen with young. People are still dazzled by his legs and overlook his shortcomings with his arm. Vick's luster also died out, Young's will too.
You're right, any qb who runs has a much higher % of injury, and he already has one coming, he's on the Madden cover.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:51 AM   #163
djnemo65
Playmaker

Quote:

Why are you so convinced that Young isn't going to continue to improve with experience? It wasn't until Eli's third season that people really started dumping on him. If Young has not improved half-way through next season then a post like this might become appropriate, but as of right now Young is doing pretty well for someone with barely a season's worth of starts.

And why do you insist on continuing to compare him to Vick? They might both be athletic but I think it is clear at this point that they are quite different when it comes to character. That matters on the field as well as off of it.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:10 PM   #164
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
Why are you so convinced that Young isn't going to continue to improve with experience? It wasn't until Eli's third season that people really started dumping on him. If Young has not improved half-way through next season then a post like this might become appropriate, but as of right now Young is doing pretty well for someone with barely a season's worth of starts.

And why do you insist on continuing to compare him to Vick? They might both be athletic but I think it is clear at this point that they are quite different when it comes to character. That matters on the field as well as off of it.
1- It's been a season and a half of him playing. Sure he's still "green" but he's getting worse, not better. Today yet again, he looked bad. He actually threw for a lot of yards (257) but had 2 costly int's and only 1 td.
Look at his 4th quarter today. He did throw the 1 td on the first play of the 4th quarter, but after that, he went 3 and out (including a fumble). Then on the 2nd series, got 1 first down, then another first down on a penalty, then had a turnover on downs. On the last series, he was going to go 3 and out, but threw an INT instead. He's no leader on the field, and he doesn't have any talent throwing the ball, only running it.
2- I never once attacked his character, and when I compare him to Michael Vick, it's on the field only. I know it's been a while but I have said this more than once on this thread. And I don't think it matters as much as you think. Vick won a lot of games, and look at his character. Fact is, Vick was a better QB overall, and I think Vick sucked.

About Eli, I'd take Eli 20 times over Young. Eli is a good qb, and he can win a game with his arm. He can be a leader, and he has been...he's been too inconsistant to be considered great at this point though.

Yet another poor performance by Vince Young and still people don't see him for what he is. Obviously my work is still cut out for me.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:18 PM   #165
Campbell17
Impact Rookie

Why don't we post a thread that talks about our bad football team, and not some good team with a decent QB.