Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Skins getting heat again over name issue

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Thoughts on the pending Redskins name change?
It’s time, the name is offensive 4 9.52%
I’m tired of hearing about it so change it 17 40.48%
Keep the name at all costs 16 38.10%
No strong opinion either way 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2020, 08:44 AM   #151
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Skins getting heat again over name issue

I defend the name, but to be clear on where I stand regardless of my affinity for the name I recognize it's likely inevitable that it will be changed. When the corporate sponsors hop on the bandwagon, the tide is turning and even though it's 50/50 whether Dan ignores this in hopes it goes away in time, I think enough people and companies have hopped on to make keeping the name a losing battle. This has become bigger than a small minority of Native Americans being vocal about it, they've gained the support of almost the entire Democratic party (myself and a few others excluded), and the support of local/federal officials who hold the keys to RFK, and now they've gained the support of Fedex and Nike (who is no longer selling Redskins merch on their website). It's hard to defend something when public pressure becomes overwhelmingly negative, and while I don't think we've reached that point yet I do think the pressure is steady rising.

And for those of you think we're going to just change the name, but keep the logos and the colors and continue with a new Native American theme, you're crazy. Native Americans are not going to sign off on anything having to do with them. The new name will have to be a clean break, something totally different to get the sponsors to come back. Guessing the name and colors (if Dan is starting to reconsider ofc) will be something patriotic/DC related.

Advertisements
Old 07-03-2020, 09:00 AM   #152
calia
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
What about the N.A. reservations that use it as a term of pride?

And some clearly do not view it that way. There are members of the African American community that use the N word too, but that doesn’t make it less offensive. Again, my view is that there are people that find it offensive (and I don’t see any need to debate the relative proportion of the community that does), and that’s easily enough for me to say there’s no need to use it.

I don’t get the need to defend the name. It’s the least important thing about the team to me. Heck, I care more about the use of burgundy and gold than the name.

At this point, it feels inevitable (and I believe it should) and folks will have to decide whether a name change is enough to change their loyalty. Personally, I don’t get that, but so be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2020, 09:04 AM   #153
calia
Playmaker

Quote:
I defend the name, but to be clear on where I stand regardless of my affinity for the name I recognize it's likely inevitable that it will be changed. When the corporate sponsors hop on the bandwagon, the tide is turning and even though it's 50/50 whether Dan ignores this in hopes it goes away in time, I think enough people and companies have hopped on to make keeping the name a losing battle. This has become bigger than a small minority of Native Americans being vocal about it, they've gained the support of almost the entire Democratic party (myself and a few others excluded), and the support of local/federal officials who hold the keys to RFK, and now they've gained the support of Fedex and Nike (who is no longer selling Redskins merch on their website). It's hard to defend something when public pressure becomes overwhelmingly negative, and while I don't think we've reached that point yet I do think the pressure is steady rising.

And for those of you think we're going to just change the name, but keep the logos and the colors and continue with a new Native American theme, you're crazy. Native Americans are not going to sign off on anything having to do with them. The new name will have to be a clean break, something totally different to get the sponsors to come back. Guessing the name and colors (if Dan is starting to reconsider ofc) will be something patriotic/DC related.

Could well be right although I think the could keep the team colors and do a completely different name. That the stadium sponsor has made the request is going to be really problematic for Dan, and the FedEx CEO is a part owner of the team. This all seems inevitable and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a new team name soon. Or at least an announcement that the team will commit to one soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2020, 11:03 AM   #154
Dlyne8r
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post

Would you say, "good morning redskin!" to her.

This guy walks into your store, "How can I help you redskin"
And no one says "good morning whitey" or "how can I help you cracker." Jeeze people get a grip. No one greets people in that manner.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:05 AM   #155
MTK
\m/

Washington Warpath

Let’s go
Old 07-03-2020, 11:12 AM   #156
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlyne8r View Post
And no one says "good morning whitey" or "how can I help you cracker." Jeeze people get a grip. No one greets people in that manner.
If that is the case then why isn't " the mob" going after the Blackhawks? What about the Chiefs? No one says.. "good morning Blackjawk"..

Really hope we don't change the name. Snyder can get other sponsors. The media pressure will die down like it always does.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:22 AM   #157
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
The difference is white supremacy still exists and in the last 4 years they've suddenly found their voice again.

You think white supremacy doesn’t have a problem with native Americans? My point is just because something used to be racist doesn’t mean it’s ok now. We stole their land. Slaughtered them. Stuck them on reservations and called them Redskins while we were doing it. Chico it is about right and wrong not caving to the mob. Lol.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:25 AM   #158
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:

Same way blacks use the n word with one another. Totally different than a white man saying it.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:26 AM   #159
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Washington Warpath

Let’s go

Perfect!
Old 07-03-2020, 11:33 AM   #160
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
If that is the case then why isn't " the mob" going after the Blackhawks? What about the Chiefs? No one says.. "good morning Blackjawk"..

Really hope we don't change the name. Snyder can get other sponsors. The media pressure will die down like it always does.

Those are not derogatory names. It isn’t like Native Americans just do not want to be associated with sports. Lol. Clearly there is a difference between Redskin and Chief. It is like N word vs zulu warrior.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:47 AM   #161
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...eview-nickname
Old 07-03-2020, 11:59 AM   #162
coggs
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post

There actually are some groups that have an issue with the Blackhawks logo, but not necessarily the name. Yes, the team was named after the squad the original owner was a member of in WWI. Yes, the squad was named after a Native American Chief whose name was "Black Hawk". However, the logo for the military squad is not an image of Chief Black Hawk. IIRC, the Blackhawks (hockey team) original logo was a sketch of Chief Black Hawk. Difference with them, is they can simply change the logo to literally a black hawk as in black in color bird of prey. Which, in time, I think will happen. The Indians have retired Chief Wahoo. Would not be surprised if the Braves are next. They may keep the name, but the tomahawk will eventually be gone.

Not sure I agree about getting other sponsors. If Fed Ex pulls their name, they are going to have a hard time finding a corporation with the money to buy the naming rights.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:08 PM   #163
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Fuck these pc assholes!! If the Redskins change their name I say call them either “The Nation” representing all Native American Nations and keep the logo or the Washington Americans since the NA are the real Americans here, plus the Cowboys won’t be using America’s team.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:09 PM   #164
coggs
Special Teams

Quote:
They do exist. Last week I was reading about the group with the issue with the Blackhawks, one of the members made a great point in an interview. He was asked about this very notion and his response was something along the lines of, "I know there are some Natives who like it and some who do not care either way. That is why there really is no 'Native American View' of the issue. There are a lot of Native Americans out there and each has their own opinion on the matter."
Old 07-03-2020, 12:15 PM   #165
coggs
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Fuck these pc assholes!! If the Redskins change their name I say call them either “The Nation” representing all Native American Nations and keep the logo or the Washington Americans since the NA are the real Americans here, plus the Cowboys won’t be using America’s team.
Not a bad idea. "Washington Americans" and the logo can be something like Mt Rushmore with just pictures of people of every race. 1 Caucasian, 1 African American, 1 Native American, 1 Latino, 1 Asian, 1 Middle Eastern, 1 South Asian (Not sure of the correct term, think those from India, Pakistan, etc) and so forth. Of course, then some will complain that the Caucasian "looks too Italian" or "too Irish" and does not represent ALL caucasians.