Coronavirus (political)

Debating with the enemy

Old 04-15-2020, 07:09 AM   #1
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Re: Coronavirus (political)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
This may sound ignorant but what are we supposed to do? Wait a year or two for a vaccine to come out and bankrupt the country and ourselves because less than 1% of the people (most w/ serious underlying conditions) are at risk? I'm sorry but that doesn't sit well w/ me.

It's time to get back to a normal life, open up the economy imo. The people who have underlying conditions stay the hell home, work from home, wait it out and keep your distance.
That's exactly what the governors seem to want to do. I think they realized long ago that the country would bankrupt, and their mentality now is just kind of like "F It".

USA is on a fast track to becoming bankrupt as a country, like i said, 300 + million people out of work by years end. This could be the end of us as the world power, i think in many ways it already is.

to be clear: I AM NOT A TRUMP SUPPORTER - but Trump seems like the only guy who wants to try and get America going again, and he is being met with resistance at every turn. I believe now that the governors WANT to bankrupt their states just so they can go to Trump and say "F You, we will never open again because YOU want us to".
Old 04-15-2020, 07:40 AM   #2
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
That's exactly what the governors seem to want to do. I think they realized long ago that the country would bankrupt, and their mentality now is just kind of like "F It".

USA is on a fast track to becoming bankrupt as a country, like i said, 300 + million people out of work by years end. This could be the end of us as the world power, i think in many ways it already is.

to be clear: I AM NOT A TRUMP SUPPORTER - but Trump seems like the only guy who wants to try and get America going again, and he is being met with resistance at every turn. I believe now that the governors WANT to bankrupt their states just so they can go to Trump and say "F You, we will never open again because YOU want us to".
Snake, I am sorry but you are going off the rails with this. Has anybody ever told you cutting off the hand to spite the face is nonsense?

Governors are preparing the way they're preparing because Trump said the states need to be running point on this, and the feds are the backup option. This is what happens when the leader of this nation doesn't take charge and aggressively act before the outbreak to stop it. Now it's widespread and we can only hope to contain it. Everything we do from this point on is about limiting the damage. Restoring societal norms even a month from now would be a disaster, and it would only allow COVID-19 to keep spreading. Is it safe to assume from your response you are alright with however many people have to die just to try and save the economy? And the hospital system being overwhelmed for however long it takes to find a vaccine?
Old 04-15-2020, 09:22 AM   #3
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Snake, I am sorry but you are going off the rails with this. Has anybody ever told you cutting off the hand to spite the face is nonsense?

Governors are preparing the way they're preparing because Trump said the states need to be running point on this, and the feds are the backup option. This is what happens when the leader of this nation doesn't take charge and aggressively act before the outbreak to stop it. Now it's widespread and we can only hope to contain it. Everything we do from this point on is about limiting the damage. Restoring societal norms even a month from now would be a disaster, and it would only allow COVID-19 to keep spreading. Is it safe to assume from your response you are alright with however many people have to die just to try and save the economy? And the hospital system being overwhelmed for however long it takes to find a vaccine?
No one here has to apologize to me for anything they say to me. I consider you all friends, and in any debate we have i imagine it being no different than just some guys/gals sitting around the bbq having different opinions.

I have felt that what they want from the beginning is to keep all businesses / schools, etc. closed until they come up with a vaccine two years or so from now.

They don't seem to have the ability to draw a line between public health and economic / country health. Right now the mentality seems to be one OR the other. I think there is a way to do both. I do not want people to die, but they are going to keep dying every day even in spite of coronavirus, there are still other things like cancer, car crashes, drug overdoses, suicides, homicides, etc. and society has never had to shut down because of this.

Many of the jobs lost will never come back. In this country, you have likely already seen the end of movie theaters, theme parks, etc. Possibly school. Soon maybe, professional sports. Restaurants are hanging on, but even with curbside options they wont last forever. Those things wont be able to attempt a comeback until there is a vaccine years down the road.

And my fear lies that with so many people unemployed, the system is strained beyond the capacity that it was ever intended for. Unemployment benefits depend on taxes to fund it. With 85% of your country unemployed by the end of the year, what happens when there is no more money to pay all of the people out of work? As companies and entire industries continue to go out of business, the next thing will be massive food shortages as farms / meat suppliers, etc. go out of business. Trucking companies, with nothing to haul anywhere, fold up. Its an avalanche/snowball effect that only finishes when everything has been destroyed and society builds back.

I hope that the USA is looking at other countries that are (so far) easing restrictions and slowly and gradually returning to normal, and I hope we are learning something from them. This is a time where all nations can work together and put aside differences for a common good.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:22 AM   #4
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
On Monday, Newsom along with Washington Gov. Jay Inslee and Oregon Gov. Kate Brown announced a regional partnership to coordinate the reopening of the West Coast. In the northeast, seven other states, including New York and New Jersey, the two hardest-hit states by the coronavirus, announced a similar plan to coordinate reopening.

With the exception of Massachusetts, all ten states actively developing plans to reopen are led by Democratic governors.

Did anyone see Newsome's 6 point plan? That stuff isn't happening any time soon. It makes mention of physical distancing in schools, like that is possible without building a lot more new schools. His plan is a big of joke as his earlier claim that 25 million Californians will get sick. The dude just doesn't live in the real world.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:10 AM   #5
MTK
\m/

Quote:

Your post makes zero sense.

Quote:
On Monday, Newsom along with Washington Gov. Jay Inslee and Oregon Gov. Kate Brown announced a regional partnership to coordinate the reopening of the West Coast. In the northeast, seven other states, including New York and New Jersey, the two hardest-hit states by the coronavirus, announced a similar plan to coordinate reopening.

With the exception of Massachusetts, all ten states actively developing plans to reopen are led by Democratic governors.
LINK
Old 04-15-2020, 08:57 AM   #6
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
This may sound ignorant but what are we supposed to do? Wait a year or two for a vaccine to come out and bankrupt the country and ourselves because less than 1% of the people (most w/ serious underlying conditions) are at risk? I'm sorry but that doesn't sit well w/ me.

It's time to get back to a normal life, open up the economy imo. The people who have underlying conditions stay the hell home, work from home, wait it out and keep your distance.
That shows a lack of understanding of math & statistics though. This plan will result in a spike such that more people will need ventilators at the same time than we actually have ventilators. Meaning those people that can't get access to a ventilator will die, when they otherwise might have been saved.

So you're not just talking about a threat to the 1%. You're talking about adding another 0.2% on top of the 1% it will already kill under normal course.

In other words, you're advocating for causing more death. Now, you don't know you're doing that, because you don't understand the math. So it's not like I'm accusing you of callousness, just ignorance of the statistics.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:24 AM   #7
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
That shows a lack of understanding of math & statistics though. This plan will result in a spike such that more people will need ventilators at the same time than we actually have ventilators. Meaning those people that can't get access to a ventilator will die, when they otherwise might have been saved.

So you're not just talking about a threat to the 1%. You're talking about adding another 0.2% on top of the 1% it will already kill under normal course.

In other words, you're advocating for causing more death. Now, you don't know you're doing that, because you don't understand the math. So it's not like I'm accusing you of callousness, just ignorance of the statistics.
So then to make sure i am understanding you, the only thing we can do is hide in our homes for two more years or so until they get a successful vaccine. I am not being a smartass, i am asking you.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:15 PM   #8
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
So then to make sure i am understanding you, the only thing we can do is hide in our homes for two more years or so until they get a successful vaccine. I am not being a smartass, i am asking you.
Not hide in our homes non stop for two years, but you watch the numbers closely. We should stay in our homes until the growth in new cases is down to a point where you can start to come out and play a little bit. Modelers can do the math to say if we have X number of new cases per day that equates to Y admissions to hospitals 7 days later, etc etc. As long as those expected admissions to hospitals are below the capacity of those hospitals, then you're good to come out and play.

That will spread the disease around a little more. But we should view that as an inevitability. When the disease starts to spike again and the new case growth gets too high, then we go back to social distancing.

And we might have to do that on/off/on/off approach for the next 18 months until we have a vaccine.

This helps you balance the economy a bit with the spread of the illness. This illness is going to kill a certain amount of people, you just want to give those people a chance to beat it with access to a ventilator and a hospital bed. If you can't give them a hospital bed and a ventilator then you've failed to fight the virus and it's resulted in more death than it needed to.

If we get a vaccine sooner, then all the better, but I'd expect to go on and off with stay at home orders for 18 months or so.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:09 PM   #9
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Not hide in our homes non stop for two years, but you watch the numbers closely. We should stay in our homes until the growth in new cases is down to a point where you can start to come out and play a little bit. Modelers can do the math to say if we have X number of new cases per day that equates to Y admissions to hospitals 7 days later, etc etc. As long as those expected admissions to hospitals are below the capacity of those hospitals, then you're good to come out and play.

That will spread the disease around a little more. But we should view that as an inevitability. When the disease starts to spike again and the new case growth gets too high, then we go back to social distancing.

And we might have to do that on/off/on/off approach for the next 18 months until we have a vaccine.

This helps you balance the economy a bit with the spread of the illness. This illness is going to kill a certain amount of people, you just want to give those people a chance to beat it with access to a ventilator and a hospital bed. If you can't give them a hospital bed and a ventilator then you've failed to fight the virus and it's resulted in more death than it needed to.

If we get a vaccine sooner, then all the better, but I'd expect to go on and off with stay at home orders for 18 months or so.
Here is the way I see it we have 619,000 confrimed cases and 27,000 confirmed deaths that is over a 4% fatality rate. If we factor in the CDC evaluation that 25% of cases are asymptomatic at the most we are lookuing at 774,000 cases. Even with that value the death rate is 3.5%. This is all with the measures in place. This isn't even including an exteremly high hospitilization rate https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6915e3.htm (For March ). If we remove stay at home orders what does that infection rate jump to? Are we really willing to risk a 3.5% death rate with a much larger infected population? If people are worried about the economy they really need to think about what those values would do to the economy.
BaltimoreSkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:39 AM   #10
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:

The tone of your comments (as usual) have contempt in them. I'm not going down this road with you. I just wanted to say my .02. That's all. I'm outta this thread.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:15 AM   #11
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:

I agree with you 100% and I am in an extremely high risk group as I have congestive heart failure, diabetes and 59 years old. I have changed a few things I do, but I am not going to wear a hazmat suit in public. I do live in a sparsely populated area. I almost have to laugh at all the people around me wearing masks and gloves, most don't know how to properly use them. They might as well not be wearing them at all. In fact they probably are putting themselves more at risk as it gives them a false sense of security.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:54 AM   #12
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
I agree with you 100% and I am in an extremely high risk group as I have congestive heart failure, diabetes and 59 years old. I have changed a few things I do, but I am not going to wear a hazmat suit in public. I do live in a sparsely populated area. I almost have to laugh at all the people around me wearing masks and gloves, most don't know how to properly use them. They might as well not be wearing them at all. In fact they probably are putting themselves more at risk as it gives them a false sense of security.

This
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:07 PM   #13
SunnySide
Playmaker

Economic impact can’t be denied. Here’s my trickle down effect. I’m a car accident attorney.

Paralegals hours cut to 2-3 days a week.
No new cases coming in and not sure we would take one unless it’s a former client/favor
Chiros, orthos, diagnostic centers are have very little business from the personal injury sector. Clients didn’t want to go in 2 months ago when so liv was unknown.
Courts closed.
Insurance companies = less new claims (Educated guess)
Yearly bonus? Highly doubt it, I’m thinking of telling them to cut my salaries pay check in half to help them

I don’t pretend to know what you do. I imagine you do a select well thought out reopening of certain businesses. But vital and hard hit businesses like restaurants can’t open.

Less deaths balanced against saving the economy. Good logical arguments for both sides. I think a tiered easing in is the way to go.

If the tepid slow down in new cases continues, then I think you start easing in in a month or two. Of course ... the tepid slow down is because the lock down is working so it’s a double edge sword.

Can’t deny the irony.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:06 AM   #14
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
I’m a car accident attorney.
Do you have any idea how much the attorney ads on daytime broadcast TV out of Richmond could cost? Some of them that don't look like large firms seem to have an ad on almost every commercial break for hours on end. I go in the Richmond area quite a bit and have driven by the firms that advertise frequently and some of the offices are converted modest sized family homes. Those ads must not be that expensive or they pull in a lot of good paying business.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:26 PM   #15
SunnySide
Playmaker

US to buy 15 billion in dairy and food from farmers. (Most likely helping the Perdue companies of the world and not the family run farms). I’m fine with it, they need help and food is good. Better than just bailing them out.

Just wish we didn’t pump 28 billion over the last 2 years to farmers in, from what I read, was free money for the difference in what they sold their China tariffed food product for vs what it would have no trade war. I think we had to financially respond to China at some point so I’m fine with that to.

Idk ... just wish we didn’t run up the deficit so much during a good economy ... because now, hindsight’s a bitch.

http://https://www.foxbusiness.com/m...mers-dump-milk