Forty whiners vs lackeymanders

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-02-2024, 09:12 AM   #136
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Re: Forty whiners vs lackeymanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
If you are picking a QB that high there will be no battle. Howell will be the backup, but I wonder whether he will be a trade chip at the deadline if a contending team loses its QB early in the season and gets desperate.
I understand that is often the case, but I don't think it should matter where you are drafted. You should still have to come in and win the job. It would be dereliction of duty to name someone a starter - at any position - if he hasn't proven he is the better player...no matter where he was drafted. I hope we get a GM & HC who think the same way. Put the best players on the field.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-02-2024, 11:03 AM   #137
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Something positive, rare at the moment

Quote:
PFF Commanders -

Sam Cosmi is the highest-graded offensive player in the NFL since week 13 (92.0)

He has allowed 0 sacks and just 1 QB pressure
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 11:25 AM   #138
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Maybe he is, maybe he isn't.

This team probably wins 4-6 more games if not for the colossal collapse on the defensive side this year. Sam's not going anywhere, but it would be tough to pass on one of the top 2 QBs in the draft. If I were a betting man, I would bet that the new regime drafts CW, DM, or JD. Sam & one of them battle it out for QB1.
We're on the same page, I had the same thought. New regime drafts a new qb, he dukes it out with Sam over the summer and if by some miracle Sam gets over his issues we start Sam until the flame dies again. If new kid wins the job Sam gets a few years to ride the bench. Ideal way to start with a new staff.
Old 01-02-2024, 11:30 AM   #139
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
We have 1 keeper on the Oline. That's better than it was looking earlier. Glad he is playing well. Hopefully we can keep him around.

Now we just need 4 more starters LOL. Although I think Stromberg can start next year at C/G. But still need to add lots of beef up front.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 11:54 AM   #140
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Hes been the best player on this team all yr
Old 01-02-2024, 12:02 PM   #141
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
We have 1 keeper on the Oline. That's better than it was looking earlier. Glad he is playing well. Hopefully we can keep him around.

Now we just need 4 more starters LOL. Although I think Stromberg can start next year at C/G. But still need to add lots of beef up front.
I was actually thinking that if we do draft a young QB it might be better if the main focus would be finding a good quality veteran Centre in free agency, if such a thing exists.
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 03:46 AM   #142
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:

He's quite good.
Old 01-03-2024, 06:28 AM   #143
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Lucas has been well rated, I'd definitely say Cosmi, Stromberg and Lucas should be retained. I'd consider Leno but only on a team friendly deal. Everyone else should be gone or, at best, fighting for a place down the depth. We need 2 tackles and a guard in FA or the draft and as Edmund says, probably a veteran centre is a good idea. Isn't Kelce an FA this spring?...
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 09:37 AM   #144
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
Lucas has been well rated, I'd definitely say Cosmi, Stromberg and Lucas should be retained. I'd consider Leno but only on a team friendly deal. Everyone else should be gone or, at best, fighting for a place down the depth. We need 2 tackles and a guard in FA or the draft and as Edmund says, probably a veteran centre is a good idea. Isn't Kelce an FA this spring?...
Leno is under contract for one more year. I wonder if he could swing over to RT? Wylie needs to be moved back to G.

Rookie/Wylie or Cosmi/Stromberg/Cosmi or Wylie/Leno

Lucas is definitely valuable, hopefully they can bring him back on a solid deal.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if the new FO released Wylie and just ate the 7.8m dollar cap hit this year. We have 96 million. It would be a small chunk of that.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washingt...w-wylie-22571/
Old 01-03-2024, 09:59 AM   #145
MTK
\m/

Quote:
If you are picking a QB that high there will be no battle. Howell will be the backup, but I wonder whether he will be a trade chip at the deadline if a contending team loses its QB early in the season and gets desperate.
This.

A top pick is coming in as the #1 and unless he's a total flop right off the bat there will be no battle.
Old 01-03-2024, 11:38 AM   #146
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
This.

A top pick is coming in as the #1 and unless he's a total flop right off the bat there will be no battle.
Assuming we pick a QB in the 1st round and they don't move on from Sam, I don't see the harm in having them "battle" it out. I think it would be dumb if you didn't go that route. You have two QBs on rookie contracts for the next two years. Throw them out there and see who runs the offense better. With Sam having a year under his belt seeing NFL defenses, I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that any of the QBs who will be drafted in Round 1 are going to be better than he is.

We want the best players on the field.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 11:51 AM   #147
MTK
\m/

Battle for what? Sam has shown why he was a 5th rounder, a lot of holes in his game.

If you draft someone high you're committing to that player and have to get him ready, meaning he needs 90% of the offseason snaps. Practice time is so limited as it is, there's no opportunity to have guys splitting time.

Sorry but Sam isn't going to get a realistic chance of starting unless it's due to injury or the new guy is a total miss from the jump.
Old 01-03-2024, 11:52 AM   #148
HTTR
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Assuming we pick a QB in the 1st round and they don't move on from Sam, I don't see the harm in having them "battle" it out. I think it would be dumb if you didn't go that route. You have two QBs on rookie contracts for the next two years. Throw them out there and see who runs the offense better. With Sam having a year under his belt seeing NFL defenses, I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that any of the QBs who will be drafted in Round 1 are going to be better than he is.

We want the best players on the field.

Plus there is something to be said for letting rookie QBs breathe the NFL air for a few minutes before throwing them into the fire. We have a history of being impatient with so-called can’t-miss prospects that get overwhelmed, gun-shy, and injured before finding their NFL legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2024, 11:55 AM   #149
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I hope we can bring Brissett back, but I doubt that's in the cards. If anything, I'd start him next year, until the rookie is ready (if not ready week 1).

We need to try to win next year. Brissett would give us our best chance as of now, unless the rookie comes in and already looks the part. Nothing wrong with a guy sitting. Although it doesn't seem to happen much anymore.
Old 01-03-2024, 12:00 PM   #150
MTK
\m/

I think JB is going to be looking for a chance to start somewhere... it won't be here if we take someone at the top of the draft. A top 5 pick isn't going to sit.

What you guys are saying about letting the best man win or letting a rookie sit and learn sounds great in theory, it's just not reality these days.