Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Cowher Talking to Skins about Job in '08?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-19-2007, 03:40 PM   #1
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Cowher Talking to Skins about Job in '08?

FanNation | Truth&Rumors | Cowher secretly planning 2008 return

Supposedly, we're one of three teams he or his "people" have contacted regarding potential opennings in 2008.
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:43 PM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: Cowher Talking to Skins about Job in '08?

Ah, the infamous "league source"
Old 06-19-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

He'd be stupid not to contact the Redskins. Gibbs won't be here forever (sad to say) and he'll get paid here and get whatever he wants.

That said, why does this keep being brought up every few months?
Old 06-19-2007, 11:53 PM   #4
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
He'd be stupid not to contact the Redskins. Gibbs won't be here forever (sad to say) and he'll get paid here and get whatever he wants.

That said, why does this keep being brought up every few months?

I really dont know. But if gibbs leaves in 2007 I want Cowher.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:50 PM   #5
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

when he retired there was talk of him taking over after gibbs. I would be happy for this to happen except for the fact that we already have two cordinators that could be coaches and there is no reason to bring in another system. GW should be coach after gibbs as long as he can put up a good defense these next couple years. Saunders and GW would be pissed off. GW would get a million dollar bonus though. This is just a rumor right now. No need to take any substance out of it but the skins will be of talk when he comes back. Danny boy will beat out any offers so why wouldn't the skins be a front runner?
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:59 PM   #6
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSKINBauer View Post
when he retired there was talk of him taking over after gibbs. I would be happy for this to happen except for the fact that we already have two cordinators that could be coaches and there is no reason to bring in another system. GW should be coach after gibbs as long as he can put up a good defense these next couple years. Saunders and GW would be pissed off. GW would get a million dollar signing bonus. This is just a rumor right now. No need to take any substance out of it.
I don't think GW will finish his tenure here. His stock fell a little last year, and if he fields a good defense this season, teams will throw some money at him. The NFL is all about timing and striking while the iron is hot.

That being said, my gut tells me Williams won't wait for Gibbs to finish his last year, and another team makes Williams forget about the $1MM clause in his contract. Gregg Blache will eventually take over the defense.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I don't think GW will finish his tenure here. His stock fell a little last year, and if he fields a good defense this season, teams will throw some money at him. The NFL is all about timing and striking while the iron is hot.

That being said, my gut tells me Williams won't wait for Gibbs to finish his last year, and another team makes Williams forget about the $1MM clause in his contract. Gregg Blache will eventually take over the defense.
I think he will. Gibbs is here next season and at the most one more. I don't think GW would stick around this long and not stay. Last off season he could have gotten out of here and maybe the off season before. He chose to stay. I think he will pull it out for one more season, if he is promised the job. Even more, his stock did fall. He was a great D cordinator but 31st in the league won't draw up much interest. Even if he has a top 16 D, teams won't be throwing themselves at him. He'll need to have a top 8 Defense to draw the same kind of interest again.

We'll be able to keep GW if we want to. But we might not want to. He didn't do well in buffalo and if the defense is in the bottom half of the league again, i don't see snyder passing up on an opportunity to get a coach liek cowher. Also, if we want cowher we will get him. Its up to Snyder.
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:49 AM   #8
GMScud
Swearinger

I heard very similar speculation months ago. It's an interesting thought. Gibbs has 2 seasons at best left in him, so why not? Cowher is what, 48? That's almost 20 years younger than Joe. And his style fits a Joe Gibbs footprint. Discipline, character, etc, etc. If it happens we'll probably get laughed at for "bribing" G.Williams by offering him $1M if we didn't make him Gibbs' successor and then choosing someone else.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:14 PM   #9
GusFrerotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post

He will split. A lot rides on the '07 campaign for GW and any chance of being the HC. I agree with you that I don't think he will stay here. None of the major preseason publications( S & S, Athlon's, or Sprting News) has us higher than 3rd in our division. IF that becomes a reality, it will because of zero pass rush, etc. GW will be toast and probably will not be considered top HC material, ending up with a team like the sorry ass Lions if they fire Marinelli and get him on the "cheap". I don't see Gibbs wasting time and sticking around either. A failure this season means that rebuilding will take 2-4 seasons( that sucks, but it probably is close to reality if we really stink this season). That is more time than Gibbs had anticipated. Cowher is a proven motivator and winner, a no nonsense type of guy that will be a nice follow up to Coach Gibbs.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:56 PM   #10
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSKINBauer View Post
when he retired there was talk of him taking over after gibbs. I would be happy for this to happen except for the fact that we already have two cordinators that could be coaches and there is no reason to bring in another system. GW should be coach after gibbs as long as he can put up a good defense these next couple years. Saunders and GW would be pissed off. GW would get a million dollar bonus though. This is just a rumor right now. No need to take any substance out of it but the skins will be of talk when he comes back. Danny boy will beat out any offers so why wouldn't the skins be a front runner?
Does Saunders and Cowers style even work together.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:00 PM   #11
mredskins
Gamebreaker

I like the idea of Cowher as HC and Gibbs doing some GM work.
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:23 PM   #12
EXoffender
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I like the idea of Cowher as HC and Gibbs doing some GM work.
Exactly. But let's not throw away money signing Cowher now while we have other highly paid assistants...
EXoffender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:03 PM   #13
MTK
\m/

Blache could draw some serious interest as a head coach very soon.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:24 PM   #14
EXoffender
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Blache could draw some serious interest as a head coach very soon.
Assistant? Yes. Head coach? I'm not sure.
EXoffender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:29 PM   #15
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXoffender View Post
Assistant? Yes. Head coach? I'm not sure.
Blache very nearly became head coach of the 49ers a few years ago, before they stunned everyone and hired Dennis Erickson.

I'd love to see, over the next two years, guys like Earnest Byner and Kirk Olivadotti take on a bigger role with the team coordinating the offense and defense and emerge as an in-house candidate to be head coach. That's something that's missing I think from Gibbs' legacy, a homegrown coaching tree.