Secondary a Primary Concern

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #136
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Re: Secondary a Primary Concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanix544 View Post
D Hall must be given some credit for putting his helmet in opposing ball carriers chests in the last two years. He has gotten alot more physical than he used to be. I would say he went from a below average tackler to an average tackler. He had a fairly good year (or alot better than previous years) last year. I'm not afraid to give him a little credit for getting a bit more physical..

I still have this image burned into my head.

"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #137
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Here, here let the wisdom of the Lotus be heard. Just as some of us have said RGIII and the WRs can compensate for struggles across the oline, a defensive front seven can compensate for a struggling secondary. I thought of the Giants but the Pats are a good example as well.

And Morris' coaching is a major positive for the secondary. He will find ways to cover up his group's weakness, the question is to what extent...
And the Giants were dead last in Rushing. Saints D had issues, so did the Packers. The Niners and Ravens were probably the most complete teams, but every team has holes. The panic over the O line and secondary seems a little over the top. Skins won 5 games with a QB who turned the ball over 26 times and lost his starting job to a guy fighting for his life to be the third string QB in Houston this year.

All that matters this year is whether or not we found our franchise QB. The O line is plenty good. It may not be the best in the league, but Beck and Rex were hardly running for their lives last year and we ran the ball well, especially late in the season when our backups were playing. RG3 will have every opportunity to succeed.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #138
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Polamalu.....
Yes
Old 08-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #139
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Yes
And actually there are some old school safeties that are rated still as the greatest of all time. Problem with every greatest poll is people vote according to what they have seen in their lifetime. Even 80 greatest redskins. I love lavar but please. Over our long history he is not one of the 80 greatest.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #140
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
And actually there are some old school safeties that are rated still as the greatest of all time. Problem with every greatest poll is people vote according to what they have seen in their lifetime. Even 80 greatest redskins. I love lavar but please. Over our long history he is not one of the 80 greatest.
I agree I'm only 25 so I'm still a young pup when it comes to greatest players but I def respect the history
Old 08-26-2012, 12:42 AM   #141
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
ummmmm, Ken Houston anyone???
Now there's a smart comment. Ken Houston kicked ass. I'll never forget his tackle of Walt Garrison just short of the goal line, thus preserving a victory over Dall-ass.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:44 AM   #142
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
ummmmm, Ken Houston anyone???
Ken Houston was a beast. All the man did was break up passes and intercept them.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:51 AM   #143
rbanerjee23
The Starter

I'm not surprised -- Shanahan has been a huge disappointment as a coach (11W 21L, two straight last place finishes in the NFC East, and 0-3 on QBs not counting RG3). Aside from Trent Williams he has done nothing for the OL, not developed a decent run game, and has a secondary that was shredded by Jay Cutler and Andrew Luck in back to back games.

This is venting to some extent but the Redskins finished 12th in the league in Passing yards allowed and 13th in overall defense. Not spectacular but pretty decent for an otherwise shitty team -- so of course he took one of the few strengths and made it a glaring weakness.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #144
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanix544 View Post
D Hall must be given some credit for putting his helmet in opposing ball carriers chests in the last two years. He has gotten alot more physical than he used to be. I would say he went from a below average tackler to an average tackler. He had a fairly good year (or alot better than previous years) last year. I'm not afraid to give him a little credit for getting a bit more physical.

This year, I expect him to be more improved as a tackler than last year. I guess they plan on putting him on the slot receiver some this year, due to Barnes inability to line up on the inside. With Hall being closer to the ball, I could see him snag a few more INT's this year as well. And with him playing under the umbrella, and closer to the line of scrimmage a little more frequently, he should have more tackles as opposed to previous years as well.
Regarding Hall's tackling, here's two words for you: Rob Gronkowski. By the way, Hall also missed an easy tackle last night. He doesn't like to tackle, he doesn't want to tackle, he often makes pathetically weak attempts to tackle, and sometimes he avoids tackling altogether (as in the case of Rob G.).

On this team, which is weak at the CB position, moving Hall inside only exposes another corner who can't cover on the outside. I think the Skins are in need of one more capable NFL CB to shore up the defensive secondary.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #145
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
I'm not surprised -- Shanahan has been a huge disappointment as a coach (11W 21L, two straight last place finishes in the NFC East, and 0-3 on QBs not counting RG3). Aside from Trent Williams he has done nothing for the OL, not developed a decent run game, and has a secondary that was shredded by Jay Cutler and Andrew Luck in back to back games.

This is venting to some extent but the Redskins finished 12th in the league in Passing yards allowed and 13th in overall defense. Not spectacular but pretty decent for an otherwise shitty team -- so of course he took one of the few strengths and made it a glaring weakness.
I beg to differ, even if it is a little homerish.

His predecessors Zorn and Vinny, inherited a team that was built by Gibbs, breakeven W/L but was making the playoffs every other year. Shanny inherited a team built by Vinny, a team that fell apart halfway thru year 1 and never recovered the next year like Gibbs' teams did.

Shanny dumped Jason Campbell and Stephon Heyer. That's two pretty good upgrades bringing in anyone decent. I think Luck did worse against our secondary than others (due to our pass rush, sure).

But the biggest problem with our secondary getting worse was Carlos getting an attitude and leaving and Springs/Smoot getting old. Shanny's trying to upgrade those positions but he's rightfully concentrating on our lines more. We've had a lot more draft picks and transition on OL than Vinny, for a new ZBS that takes time. And look at our front on D.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #146
IrMitchell
Impact Rookie

Remember when Shanny had no choice but to roster Joey Galloway? Or when Lorenzo Alexander had to start? Or when our offensive line was full of aging broken down vets?

Shanny hasn't only created depth at every position (outside of the corners), he's managed to bring in one of the better QB prospects we've ever seen. It's refreshing to see a slow and methodical approach from our GM/Coach.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #147
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Some posts are so moronic they don't deserve any response...and I think we have a winner in this thread
Old 08-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #148
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

To that eventuality.....I offer no response.
or the horse he road in on..
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #149
ethat001
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post

Wow.

Look, sometimes with fans the optimism overlooks reality -- but after reading this post, it's clear you got up on the wrong side of the bed. I just hope you remember this post next year when we're competing deep in the playoffs.

1) Records mean nothing, we were rebuilding the past two years. Honestly I'm glad we finished poorly last year -- to grab RG3. Evaluating Shanahan will only come in 2 years --> if RG3 succeeds, we will be good for 10-15 years.

2) Our O-line was one of the oldest in the league, you can't replace it overnight & convert to a zone blocking scheme. I think I saw a stat that we've drafted the most O-linemen over the past 2-3 years. Still deficient but I think they'll surprise this year if healthy. Last game Morris ran for 100 yards & RG3 had no sacks -- against a poor D, but hard to complain. Our depth seems stronger than in past. Remember Rhinehart? Heyer?

3) Yes, our secondary sucks, Cutler killed us and Luck exposed us. We will likely struggle in pass D this year. Raheem Morris could help, but I hope we can pick up a shut down corner to a back loaded contract next year and draft young talent. Talib could be a high risk-high reward acquisition. If Crawford & Chase have as much talent as hype they'll help as well as depth.

Honestly, we're not there yet, but with RG3 I think for the first time over the past 15-20 years, I have real hope for the future. Hope he proves my trust in him.
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #150
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Some posts are so moronic they don't deserve any response...and I think we have a winner in this thread
I think that's unfair, and kinda lame from a moderator if I may be so bold.

Much of the post was simple and undeniable fact e.g. Mike has produced two last place finishes, and that is the bottom line in pro football, winning.

We all hope this is the year things turnaround.