Around the NFL (Week 2)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-17-2007, 03:53 PM   #136
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Around the NFL (Week 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
That was a great piece of coaching if you ask me. He called the timeout right before they snapped the ball. The kicker just choked.
I have no problem at all either with what Shanahan did. Maybe it wasn't nice, but-to paraphrase Randy Cross-you want nice, go watch a Care Bears Movie.

Advertisements
Old 09-17-2007, 03:55 PM   #137
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
5 excellent seasons and 2 good seasons out of 7 years of being the starter at RB very easily could be. RB's don't last forever, and for him to be 10th all time in yards from scrimmage in 7 good to excellent seasons speaks volumes.
Again, not saying he's a slam dunk, but I think he'll make it barely...especially considering he likely will not be up against anyone important.
Whatever next your gonna try to make a case for Terrell Davis and then try to sell me ocean front property in Arizona...
Old 09-17-2007, 04:02 PM   #138
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Concerning the roids win over the fins--they were given FIVE turnovers in that game, 4 in the second half. Easy to score that way. Sure, Romo to TO and Whitten looked good, but Miami was winning the game in the third quarter and then Trent Green forgot which team he was on.

I think the roids are pretty good this year, but don't read too much into that fins score.

(And doesn't Norv look just like Norv yet again this year? That look on his face... but no one looks like they can keep up with the Pats right now. Wow. The AFC championship is going to be good stuff--Indy or Pitt vs Pats, most likely. NFC looks like a mixed bag again. We should be right in it.)
Old 09-17-2007, 04:11 PM   #139
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

Quote:
The fact is, for someone to say (basically) you need bust out of the gates in order to be a Hall of Famer is about as dumb as they come.
I never said that, I was simply saying the comparison between having half of your starting career be mediocre and the other half be great (yeah he got yards but didnt score alot of tds) and being on the bench behind a HOF qb, and then pulling out a HOF career yourself are two different things...

Quote:
Sorry, that doesn't float with me. Lavar (and mind you, I loved him) NEVER had 100 or more total tackles in a season. That's like saying a running back never got to 1000 yards. The only time Lavar ever ranked in the top ten in anything is ONE year when he had 11 sacks. (2002 if I recall)
Lavar never had 4 consecutive excellent seasons he had 3 good seasons (01-03). Tiki had 5 consecutive excellent seasons and 2 good seasons.
its all subjective... Im not at all making a case for Lavar, but if I were voting there's no way I say Tiki had a dynamic enough impact on the game to be deserving to be enshrined in the hall of fame... I can think of so many other players that greatly impact the game and tiki's rankings will be falling quickly enough as some of the younger stud running backs get older and knock him down the stat lists... by the time he's considered (not my any means a first ballot consideration) he'll be pretty far down the line...

55 rushing TDs in a 9 year career is far from stellar... and so is 53 fumbles...

Clinton Portis already has 53 rushing tds, and only 16 fumbles.

why dont we compare that to steve youngs 232 tds, and 107 ints...

(I don't need rhetoric on why their stats are different... I'm just illustrating a point...)

anyway, I appreciate the counterpoints... have a great day, and GO SKINS!!!!
Old 09-17-2007, 04:16 PM   #140
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I have no problem at all either with what Shanahan did. Maybe it wasn't nice, but-to paraphrase Randy Cross-you want nice, go watch a Care Bears Movie.
yeah i got no problem with the call of the timeout... but it did suck because I wanted the broncos to lose, and i can sympathize with the raiders... and I don't like shanahan,

but... it seemed like the refs didn't blow the whistle until after the ball was snapped, so if thats the case, its bs.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:24 PM   #141
The Zimmermans
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
WHAT? If Gibbs did that we'd be hailing him as the best mastermind of all time. Shanahan told the ref before the play he was going to call a time out...he waited and waited, then called the TO BEFORE the ball was snapped. What is bush league about that? It was a great move by a coach and got them a win.

I think you meant to say all games in Foxboro, MA are fixed and the camera crews.
If it was done to us....everyone would be irrate. Don't you remember last time we went into denver and got jobbed call after call. Just watch those games in denver closely...it's unbelievable the things you will discover....and shanahan is a douche...he runs up the score and has thrown conservative football out the window...which has costed him several playoff victories. But he's a great offensive mind, I won't take that away from him.

Gibbs respects the game too much to make a kicker rekick the ball over and over. Freezing a kicker is one thing...but calling timeout right before he is forced to kick is another.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:47 PM   #142
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by canthetuna View Post
I never said that, I was simply saying the comparison between having half of your starting career be mediocre and the other half be great (yeah he got yards but didnt score alot of tds) and being on the bench behind a HOF qb, and then pulling out a HOF career yourself are two different things...
I never said you did...that's where the comparison came from, that's why I said it. I'm not arguing that it's two different things, just making the point that you can start out on the bench and still make the hall of fame. That was a stupid comparison, and that's why I made the analogy. You jumped into a conversation between me and someone else not understanding why I said what I said.

Quote:
its all subjective... Im not at all making a case for Lavar, but if I were voting there's no way I say Tiki had a dynamic enough impact on the game to be deserving to be enshrined in the hall of fame... I can think of so many other players that greatly impact the game and tiki's rankings will be falling quickly enough as some of the younger stud running backs get older and knock him down the stat lists... by the time he's considered (not my any means a first ballot consideration) he'll be pretty far down the line...
I'm not disagreeing with you. But who do you enshrine that retired last year? Slim pickins don't you think?

Quote:
anyway, I appreciate the counterpoints... have a great day, and GO SKINS!!!!
You too.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:51 PM   #143
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zimmermans View Post
If it was done to us....everyone would be irrate. Don't you remember last time we went into denver and got jobbed call after call. Just watch those games in denver closely...it's unbelievable the things you will discover....and shanahan is a douche...he runs up the score and has thrown conservative football out the window...which has costed him several playoff victories. But he's a great offensive mind, I won't take that away from him.

Gibbs respects the game too much to make a kicker rekick the ball over and over. Freezing a kicker is one thing...but calling timeout right before he is forced to kick is another.
I disagree...if it was done to us (and as long as the TO was called before the snap) there would be absolutely nothing to be upset about. I would be upset if Gibbs DIDN'T try something like that. That's just not trying. I applaud him.

About the Broncos getting calls, I don't know about that, and I find it hard to believe that any team would get phantom calls considering the officials change so often, but I'll take your word for it.