Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Official Cut Day Discussion Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Biggest surprise cut?
Mason 53 43.44%
Frost 4 3.28%
McMullen 54 44.26%
Mix 4 3.28%
Richardson 2 1.64%
other 5 4.10%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2008, 11:48 PM   #136
MTK
\m/

Re: Official Cut Day Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWsleep View Post
Don't know if this is posted elsewhere, but a nice rebuttal of Wise's BS (IMO) column this morning in the Post. From Rich Tandler's skins blog:

Rich Tandler's Real Redskins: Stirring a Frosty pot
I was disappointed in that piece by Wise, definitely below him. I love the last line:

Quote:
Called out by a punter?

Ouch.
I think it should have went like this:

Quote:
Called out by a punter?

Who the F cares.

Advertisements
Old 09-01-2008, 01:46 AM   #137
That Guy
Living Legend

the only pick that shouldn't have made it was tryon. he was worse than terrible AGAINST THIRD STRINGERS!!

everyone else showed flashes except for our WRs, which have a higher investment and will take a year :/.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:43 AM   #138
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
the only pick that shouldn't have made it was tryon. he was worse than terrible AGAINST THIRD STRINGERS!!

everyone else showed flashes except for our WRs, which have a higher investment and will take a year :/.
I know Tryon f'ed up during the preseason, but at least he was in shape, did not miss camp, and played the entire pre-season...which cannot be said of our two rookie WRs. He's a fourth round pick that was chosen wayy too early. So the team needs to bite the bullet and develop this guy.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:34 AM   #139
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I know Tryon f'ed up during the preseason, but at least he was in shape, did not miss camp, and played the entire pre-season...which cannot be said of our two rookie WRs. He's a fourth round pick that was chosen wayy too early. So the team needs to bite the bullet and develop this guy.
why bother when we can get about 50 better guys without wasting time on him? he got burnt every play, he's no good.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #140
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
There is a saying in basketball that a player is "All-airport". It means that he is very tall and looks very athletic so when he comes into town through the airport people stare at him and think he's a great basketball player - - but he really can't play...

Billy McMullen is the football version of "All-airport"...

Any NFL team that counts on him to be a difference maker is a team going nowhere.
I think you and I may have been the only two here who thought he would and should be cut
Old 09-01-2008, 10:09 AM   #141
redskins5044
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I think you and I may have been the only two here who thought he would and should be cut
i dont think mcmullen is a guy who take your team to the next level but, we are only going to have 3 WRs who are going to be able to contribute for the first half of the season. thomas is going to take a while to get comfortable and kelly is out for the first 2 weeks with an injury. so that leaves us moss, randle el, and thrash. randle el is going to be playing with a brace on his hand due to a injury. so we are one serious injury during a game to have only 3 wrs. mcmullen would have just added depth and a big target in the redzone maybe. so looks like we are depending on cooley and davis to be those for us. maybe we will see alot of 2 TE formations with both cooley and davis.
redskins5044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #142
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Whoa there SS - I am correct rarely enough to be upset by your failure to recognize one of the few times I got it right.

http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-l...tml#post463723

I never bought into the McMullen Man-Crush. He was the leading receiver in preseason. Yet, Chicago - who is starting Brandon Lloyd hasn't snapped him up. The boy doesn't have it and showed it. How many balls did he drop? More than one or two. Just like Frost, he had a past to overcome and he couldn't do it.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:08 PM   #143
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
why bother when we can get about 50 better guys without wasting time on him? he got burnt every play, he's no good.
Well we haven't even seen whether our two rookie 2nd round WRs are any good since they were out of shape and haven't played significant time. And you could get the argument that we could've gotten a veteran instead, but that doesn't mean the team needs to give up on them.
R.I.P. #21
Old 09-01-2008, 03:10 PM   #144
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Well we haven't even seen whether our two rookie 2nd round WRs are any good since they were out of shape and haven't played significant time. And you could get the argument that we could've gotten a veteran instead, but that doesn't mean the team needs to give up on them.

the WRs haven't showed anything... tryon has, and what he's shown has been insanely bad.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #145
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Does anyone know if Kerry Brown is still on the IR, or did they give him an injury settlement
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #146
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Another Devin/WR added to the practice squad. He played with JC at Auburn. Let go from the Colts.

Devin Aromashodu

Practice Squad Update
Posted on September 1, 2008 by Matt Terl

Tyler Ecker did NOT sign to the practice squad, despite the rumors to the contrary (including the one that I myself propagated). The team has instead signed their third Devin (alongside Thomas and practice-squad O lineman Clark) in Devin Aromashodu.
Photo by J. Glover - Atlanta, Georgia, via Wikimedia Commons.

Photo by J. Glover - Atlanta, Georgia, via Wikimedia Commons.

Aromashodu played with the Colts last season and was in their training camp until Saturday’s cuts. He will forever be immortalized in Colts lore for catching the first Colts touchdown in new Lucas Oil Stadium, a 94-yarder from Quinn Gray. (Note that neither of those guys was immortalized enough to actually, say, make the Colts roster or anything. I’m sure the play will still live in infamy, though.)

Like departed fan-favorite Anthony Mix, Aromashodu played with Jason Campbell at Auburn, which is probably the most relevant thing about him — in fact, the two connected for a touchdown in the 2005 Sugar Bowl.

Aromashodu is the eighth and final player on the practice squad roster.
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #147
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
the WRs haven't showed anything... tryon has, and what he's shown has been insanely bad.
Yeah the WRs haven't showed anything b/ they were out of shape, got hurt, and couldn't practice.
R.I.P. #21
Old 09-01-2008, 09:26 PM   #148
hail_2_da_skins
Impact Rookie

I think it was a tremendous mistake to keep Tryon on the 53 man roster. He was the one player that I thought was an automatic cut. You cannot coach size. He is too small to compete in the NFL. As much as I love Darrell Green, he would have a hard time in this day and age of big physical receivers. Darrell Green had two things that allowed him to compete. He was faster than anyone on the field and he was a fighter. He would climb the latter and fight for the ball. I haven't seen any of these qualities in Tryon.

Frost was cut when Brooks was drafted and Frost knows it. He competed his ass off but he didn't stand a chance. History was his enemy. Redskin organization and the fans remember all those shanks under pressure. The guy is unreliable and you just don't know when he is going to kick one sideways.

I'm really surprised Tryon and Richardson were kept and equally surprized Billy McMullen and Mason were not kept. The dept at wide receiver is puzzling. Obviously we will not see any four or five wide receiver sets. Devon Thomas and Malcolm Kelly have shown nothing so far. I agree with keeping them but they needed to keep an additional receiver because of the health concerns.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:55 PM   #149
doughtydoubter
Impact Rookie

I never bought totally into mcmullen for one reason...he wasnt dynamic enough.
I am however am still scratching my head over only five wrs...
If kelly's injury is sooo bad, why not pup him and keep the depth? especially with a broken randle els hand? are we being lied to by the media over kelly's severity? Is it zorn lighting a fire under his butt to get back out there?
doughtydoubter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:10 AM   #150
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Whoa there SS - I am correct rarely enough to be upset by your failure to recognize one of the few times I got it right.

I never bought into the McMullen Man-Crush. He was the leading receiver in preseason. Yet, Chicago - who is starting Brandon Lloyd hasn't snapped him up. The boy doesn't have it and showed it. How many balls did he drop? More than one or two. Just like Frost, he had a past to overcome and he couldn't do it.
I hang my head in shame