Josh Harris finalizes deal to buy Commanders

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-28-2023, 09:57 AM   #136
irish
Playmaker

Re: Josh Harris finalizes deal to buy Commanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Do we have legit polling that shows what the fan opinion on the name is?

Let’s go out and have a good season, maybe win a playoff game, see what it’s like to have actual adults running things, and then see how many people still want to bail over a name.
Agree. I'd like to see real polling about the fan's opinion on the name.

I'm not a big fan of the name Commanders but when I look at the other names Commanders is better by a mile. The other names sound like minor league baseball teams. I see no reason to change from a so-so name to a bad one.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-28-2023, 10:23 AM   #137
Burgold
Special Teams

Welcome Josh Harris...Finally we have adults in charge!!
Burgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 10:44 AM   #138
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Agree. I'd like to see real polling about the fan's opinion on the name.

I'm not a big fan of the name Commanders but when I look at the other names Commanders is better by a mile. The other names sound like minor league baseball teams. I see no reason to change from a so-so name to a bad one.
My preference would be a Native American reference. But that's not going to happen. So if it does change, I'm settled on Washington Hogs as my favorite choice.

I've accepted Commanders and Snyder is gone, so I'm happy as a fucking clam. The name change isn't a priority for me. Just happy we are free from that asshole.

Training camp is FUCKING PACKED!! Fans chanting Thank you Harris!

I'm super excited for our 1st game. It's gonna be wild seeing that stadium packed w/ actual fans of our team.

LFG!!!!!

sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 11:10 AM   #139
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
My preference would be a Native American reference. But that's not going to happen. So if it does change, I'm settled on Washington Hogs as my favorite choice.
How about the Washington Indigenous's?

I can live with a renaming as long as it's done properly this time, and Harris shows willing to do what's needed to get the fans choice of name. i.e. Buying out image rights, donating to a school to allow us to share the name, etc. Snyder went with Commanders because it was cheap and easy. I liked Red Wings, Red Wolves, Hogs, and all would have made some kind of sense, but I'd be happy with the consensus vote as long as he listens to the fans.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 01:00 PM   #140
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post

I can live with a renaming as long as it's done properly this time, and Harris shows willing to do what's needed to get the fans choice of name. i.e. Buying out image rights, donating to a school to allow us to share the name, etc. Snyder went with Commanders because it was cheap and easy. I liked Red Wings, Red Wolves, Hogs, and all would have made some kind of sense, but I'd be happy with the consensus vote as long as he listens to the fans.
I don't see how Commanders was cheaper or easier than any of these other stupid names. I don't think anyone on this site has seen the details and financials of the choice.

Not sure how any of these make sense. Detroit's hockey team might take issue with Red Wings. Red Wolves makes zero sense and Hogs was an aspect of the team 30 years ago but is irrelevant now. All the good names are taken and Commanders is the best of a bad bunch.
Old 07-28-2023, 01:11 PM   #141
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
I don't see how Commanders was cheaper or easier than any of these other stupid names. I don't think anyone on this site has seen the details and financials of the choice.

Not sure how any of these make sense. Detroit's hockey team might take issue with Red Wings. Red Wolves makes zero sense and Hogs was an aspect of the team 30 years ago but is irrelevant now. All the good names are taken and Commanders is the best of a bad bunch.
An ode to the past glory days is not stupid. And Hogs in general are awesome animals. It makes sense w/ our past and its perfectly fine in general. It's no less stupid than any other animal name in the NFL. And it's absolutely no less stupid than Commanders.

Old 07-28-2023, 02:00 PM   #142
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

Agree with this, Red Wolves is AWFUL... It has zero ties to the DC area. The only reason folks want it is because it has "Red" in the name.

TBH Football Team was better than Commanders but they weren't going to keep it that bland.

Commanders will grow on folks if the team can actually win games
Old 07-28-2023, 02:22 PM   #143
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Terry McLaurin Interview on the New Ownership | John Keim Report BONUS CLIPS

Old 07-28-2023, 02:51 PM   #144
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
[/B]

Agree with this, Red Wolves is AWFUL... It has zero ties to the DC area. The only reason folks want it is because it has "Red" in the name.

TBH Football Team was better than Commanders but they weren't going to keep it that bland.

Agree. Winning will make everything better.
Old 07-28-2023, 02:57 PM   #145
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

The worst part about Commanders is there is no way to shorten the name down. 99% of teams either have a short name or a hyphenated name/nickname they can use. Like the Jets, Fins, etc. Washintgon Commanders is approximately 48 letters long, go Ders!!!!
Old 07-28-2023, 06:21 PM   #146
SkinsGuru
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
[/B]

Red wolves where definitely from the area, so they do make sense from a geographical standp;oint . . . see:

SkinsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 11:36 PM   #147
VTSkins1961
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsGuru View Post
Red wolves where definitely from the area, so they do make sense from a geographical standp;oint . . . see:

Yes indeed. I knew that a while ago
VTSkins1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 11:41 PM   #148
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Every team on the east coast can be the Redwolves. I originally liked that name the most. But I think that actually takes away from the name for us. It wouldn't be original, it would just have "red" in the name.
Old 07-29-2023, 07:23 AM   #149
rocnrik
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post

Ok then change it back to guess what … Redskins ! The overwhelming majority of fans want that back .. but that ain’t gonna happen so much for what the fans want ..Washington Veterans.. Vets , I love the name however I’m sure some will hate the name and the wheel goes round ……
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 09:36 AM   #150
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:

I never really saw a point in arguing about such a highly subjective thing, but for me one somehow objective knock on Commanders, is that it was obviously chosen by Dan. If you followed the renaming process, it was never an option that gained any clout before it was leaked as a the most probable outcome.
Picking a name that makes everybody happy is just impossible, but this name, partly because of a horrendous reveal, never generated any enthusiasm (expect those that hated other option(s) and went "Thank God it's not Redwolves/Hogs/Sentinels/WhateverOptionTheyHatedTheMost"), the most "enthusiastic" reaction that I've commonly seen was "hey I can do with it, let's move on from this rebranding bullshit", so when you add on top of it the fact it was picked by Snyder, I do see how a new owner wants to press the shiny and exciting "short way to being the cool guy in town" button.