do you speed?

Parking Lot

Old 04-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #136
KLHJ2
Inactive

Re: do you speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
All I can say on the matter is that when I block someone from flying up the left lane at 90mph, their response is usually to tail me and flash their lights. Then they'll try to get around by passing on the right somehow, but it's rarely done in an out of control manner.

I think of road rage as simply being pissed off behind the wheel. It's something a passenger in the road-rager's car notices more than anything, the driver yelling, cursing, pounding the steering wheel, flashing the middle finger. I think this is very common for drivers when they get upset. What's not so common is taking it to the level where you're actually whipping between lanes and driving recklessly as a result of your anger.

In my experience, reckless drivers aren't doing it because someone set them off, they just whip in and out of lanes because they're assholes and that's how they drive.

I can't say I've seen a left-lane-block that's caused somebody to go from driving like Angry does (95 and "courteous") to driving like an insane maniac.
Don't get it twisted...I get mad as hell, but I can control my emotions rather than let them control me. I know that you cannot stay there forever it is only a matter of time before I can make a pass (without cutting somebody else off).

With that being said. I still do not weave in and out or anything. In fact I keep a 3 to 4 car distance from the car in front of me...always. Eventually, the car in front of me will either move to the right or create enough separation for me to pass him on the right without me looking like an idiot or road raged driver. Once the coast is clear I will gun it until I get plenty of separation. It usually takes less than 5 seconds. Then I will cruize between 70 and 80. Why anyone wants to be clustered in a "Wolfpack" is beyond me. Anyone who wants to create them is just creating a more dangerous driving environment for everyone else.

I have said before that I am impatient, which I am, I like to get where I am going in a speed that I am comfortable at. In no way however, would I risk lives over my impatience. If I have to slow down...I do. Nothing lasts forever though, that includes driving behind a slowpoke.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-15-2009, 11:37 AM   #137
over the mountain
Playmaker

livin around dc we all do alot of 495/95 drivin which is congested every day. i drive to and from balt to dc 6 days a week. i dont drive fast, 10 miles over if i can and it actually makes me feel good to let someone in or slow down, flash a truck the good ahead to move over then get the "flash" thank you. its a cheap easy way to fulfill your daily good deed.

but heres what really grinds my gears:

- rush hour traffic and some a-hole is trying to do 90 when the most traffic will allow is 40 or so. just go with the flow and well all get home faster and safer, all those lane changes you are doing is slowing things down. research has shown for every lane change it causes a domino/catalyst effect on brake lights. in rush hour traffic the problem is compounded so much more b/c everyone is on each others bumpers. in less congested conditions you can lane change and there can be enough room for the car you moved in front to not have to apply his brakes.

- cars and tractor trailers that stay on your rear when stop n go traffic goes from 10 to 55 mph. hey genuis, you do know we are about to go from 55 to a complete stop in the next 10 seconds. i have the chart in my office but a car needs alot of feet to go from 40 to a stop, a fully loaded tractor trailer? you better hope you have room to go on the shoulder or changes lanes.

- people on the highway who jump into an on-ramp lane just to move up a few car spaces.

i used to get pissed and get aggressive with these people but my mom always says its not my job to police the world, and shes right. i cant let some pissed off jerk ruin my usually happy go lucky days.

sorry for the rant

go skins!!
Old 04-15-2009, 01:12 PM   #138
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
livin around dc we all do alot of 495/95 drivin which is congested every day. i drive to and from balt to dc 6 days a week. i dont drive fast, 10 miles over if i can and it actually makes me feel good to let someone in or slow down, flash a truck the good ahead to move over then get the "flash" thank you. its a cheap easy way to fulfill your daily good deed.

- rush hour traffic and some a-hole is trying to do 90 when the most traffic will allow is 40 or so. just go with the flow and well all get home faster and safer, all those lane changes you are doing is slowing things down. research has shown for every lane change it causes a domino/catalyst effect on brake lights. in rush hour traffic the problem is compounded so much more b/c everyone is on each others bumpers. in less congested conditions you can lane change and there can be enough room for the car you moved in front to not have to apply his brakes.

- cars and tractor trailers that stay on your rear when stop n go traffic goes from 10 to 55 mph. hey genuis, you do know we are about to go from 55 to a complete stop in the next 10 seconds. i have the chart in my office but a car needs alot of feet to go from 40 to a stop, a fully loaded tractor trailer? you better hope you have room to go on the shoulder or changes lanes.

- people on the highway who jump into an on-ramp lane just to move up a few car spaces.

i used to get pissed and get aggressive with these people but my mom always says its not my job to police the world, and shes right. i cant let some pissed off jerk ruin my usually happy go lucky days.

sorry for the rant

go skins!!
Amen, brother. Only difference between you and me is I'll do what I can to stop them. Mocking them while doing so brings even more satisfaction than the daily good deed!
Old 05-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #139
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety - Resources

Check this out.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:35 AM   #140
budw38
Playmaker

Wink Re: do you speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Crossbow ,,,, that guy must have been one crazy SOB . I had an incident about 10 years ago , guy speeding through a parking lot . He almost hit a kid on a bike , then swerved and almost clipped me . Well we exchanded words and I turned and followed him , intending to call the police . Before I knew it , he stopped and jumped out of the car with a PCV pipe . I could not back up or go around him , so I got out of my car . He took a swing at me ,,, he lost I usually go with the flow as far as speeding .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:23 AM   #141
Missin21
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post

So my question is, how fast do you normally drive on the highway?

I normally drive about 5 to 10 mph over the speed limit, depending on where I am. If I am driving on rte-7 from here to Tysons, where the speed limit is typically 45 to 55, I'll drive around 60 to 70 mph. In resi's though, i tend to be more cautious & will drive much closer to the speed limit. If the speed limit is 25, I might drive 30. If it's 35, around 40. Now, if I'm on 495, 95, 66...It's a toss-up, depending on the speed of traffic. If I'm being passed regularly at 70, I'm speeding up until I'm keeping up. That could be as much as 100 mph, especially on 495.
Missin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:41 AM   #142
Missin21
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post

Funny story. My brother & I worked together in Tysons Corner for a while & on our way home on 7 one day, during rush hour, there was this douchebag in a 350z cutting people off left & right. Changing lanes w/o using his blinkers, just jumping in front of other vehicles with inches to spare like this guy was having a baby or something. He jumped in front of the wrong guy finally who was in an older car & didn't have the braking capacity that 350z-douche had & he got rear-ended by the guy he cut off. Now he's pissed. My brother & I were about 2 cars behind him when this happened & traffic started to move. 350z-douche gets out of his car & starts to call the police because this guy hit him.

Meanwhile, the guy that hit him drives over to the shoulder to get out of traffic & not cause anymore problems then were already in occurance. 350z-douche is standing in the middle of the road loudly talking to the police when we pull up next to him & my brother shouts "You deserve it!" at which I bust out laughing. This guy turns around & starts walking to the car like he was ready to fight...until he realized that there were 2 of us in the car. He turned back around & turned his attention back to the guy who was now on the shoulder waiting for the cops.

As we drive away, we make our own call & let the police know that, even though in the state of Va, the one in back is usually the one at fault, we made it very clear to the dispatcher that it was 350-douche's fault & that he had been cutting everyone off & just cut in front of the wrong guy finally. Needless to say, that was gratifying.
Missin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #143
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missin21 View Post
Funny story. My brother & I worked together in Tysons Corner for a while & on our way home on 7 one day, during rush hour, there was this douchebag in a 350z cutting people off left & right. Changing lanes w/o using his blinkers, just jumping in front of other vehicles with inches to spare like this guy was having a baby or something. He jumped in front of the wrong guy finally who was in an older car & didn't have the braking capacity that 350z-douche had & he got rear-ended by the guy he cut off. Now he's pissed. My brother & I were about 2 cars behind him when this happened & traffic started to move. 350z-douche gets out of his car & starts to call the police because this guy hit him.

Meanwhile, the guy that hit him drives over to the shoulder to get out of traffic & not cause anymore problems then were already in occurance. 350z-douche is standing in the middle of the road loudly talking to the police when we pull up next to him & my brother shouts "You deserve it!" at which I bust out laughing. This guy turns around & starts walking to the car like he was ready to fight...until he realized that there were 2 of us in the car. He turned back around & turned his attention back to the guy who was now on the shoulder waiting for the cops.

As we drive away, we make our own call & let the police know that, even though in the state of Va, the one in back is usually the one at fault, we made it very clear to the dispatcher that it was 350-douche's fault & that he had been cutting everyone off & just cut in front of the wrong guy finally. Needless to say, that was gratifying.
Well done. Stand up for what's right when on the roads. The cops can't be everywhere at once.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #144
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Epic 2 year bump. Thought of this thread when I saw the below article, which I can't agree with more.

Slow drivers, get out of our way - CNN.com
Old 11-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #145
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Epic 2 year bump. Thought of this thread when I saw the below article, which I can't agree with more.

Granderson is honestly one of the worst writers on cnn.com maybe in the world.

Talk about someone who gets paid to talk about nothing, every one of his articles.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #146
firstdown
Living Legend

Schneed10 I'm sure will have something to say about this article. I think that was Schneed10 and his wife in the picture. LOL

firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #147
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post

You and me both. As one of the courteous yet aggressive drivers, I agree with this guy completely. I've had to tone down my speeding as of late (1+ year ticket free ) but nowadays if I'm on the highway I'll only speed if everyone else is doing it around me, but more often than not I come across these drivers in the left hand lane going just fast enough to create a "rolling roadblock", which I hate. Like the guy said they feel like they're going fast enough for the both of us, instead of just getting out of my way.

I feel like even though I speed I am always courteous when the need arises. Anytime I'm speeding I'm always watching the other cars on the road, because here in NoVa you can't help but distrust all the other drivers due to high volume of bad decisions they make. I always use turn signals, I rarely run up on people's bumpers (the only time it happens is when they see me coming and turn into my lane to cut me off) and if people need to make a last minute turn or something I usually let them over. It's just amazing how many bad drivers there are on the road though, I wish I lived in the countryside or somewhere with less traffic.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #148
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

The most priceless thing in this article are the comments at the bottom of the page.

LOVE the majority of people saying, "If you're going ten over the speed limit and I come up behind you, get over. Don't police how I drive!"

Ummm, isn't that what you're doing?